Sponsored

Aussie spec headlights!!! Halo? No Halo? Automatic? what?

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
Hi all, So I've had my JL for a couple months now and the headlights (LED) still confuse me.
They seem to be self adjusting (up and down) is this actually the case? no matter how close I am to cars in front of me my headlights seem to stop just under halfway up the car... I do remember seeing somewhere that they were automatic levelling or whatever? Can anyone confirm this. Remember this is Australia spec...
Now I just noticed about 10 minutes ago that these headlights do seem to have a halo structure around them I know that neither my daytime running or regular headlights have the halo when turned on... I just figured the Aussie spec has no halo (DEVO!) but maybe it does and it is just turned off? I love the look of the halo when running the day lights...

Now if the lack of halo is the price for having self adjusting lights.. then fine, I can live with that... But if I can have both, or if they aren't self adjusting anyway and I am wrong, THEN I WANT MY HALO DAMMIT! :angry: :LOL::LOL:

So anyone else notice these same things and have found an answer?
Sponsored

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
Hi all, So I've had my JL for a couple months now and the headlights (LED) still confuse me.
They seem to be self adjusting (up and down) is this actually the case? no matter how close I am to cars in front of me my headlights seem to stop just under halfway up the car... I do remember seeing somewhere that they were automatic levelling or whatever? Can anyone confirm this. Remember this is Australia spec...
Now I just noticed about 10 minutes ago that these headlights do seem to have a halo structure around them I know that neither my daytime running or regular headlights have the halo when turned on... I just figured the Aussie spec has no halo (DEVO!) but maybe it does and it is just turned off? I love the look of the halo when running the day lights...

Now if the lack of halo is the price for having self adjusting lights.. then fine, I can live with that... But if I can have both, or if they aren't self adjusting anyway and I am wrong, THEN I WANT MY HALO DAMMIT! :angry: :LOL::LOL:

So anyone else notice these same things and have found an answer?
seems weird they would bother to disable, but i thinking it is disabled some how. as it would cost more to make a new light without i would have thought ( could be wrong there but).. Are the Fender lights the 'parkers'. if ya in Brisbane, i more than happy to dismantle and inspect to try and figur it out. all care of course :)

OP
OP
rogisilva

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
seems weird they would bother to disable, but i thinking it is disabled some how. as it would cost more to make a new light without i would have thought ( could be wrong there but).. Are the Fender lights the 'parkers'. if ya in Brisbane, i more than happy to dismantle and inspect to try and figur it out. all care of course :)
Question is, why disable them in the first place? I can't think of any laws that would prevent you from running all for driving lights...
I'm in Sydney unfortunately, but I will take the headlight off and see how it's wired... It might just be a matter of wiring them in.

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
Question is, why disable them in the first place? I can't think of any laws that would prevent you from running all for driving lights...
I'm in Sydney unfortunately, but I will take the headlight off and see how it's wired... It might just be a matter of wiring them in.
yeah bit far :)
yeah it odd, esp as they are white and not yellow... Not sure why, international RHD version could any reason. i know the RAM 1500 do a change so the Yellow parker is not active and instead have a white light. seems dumb to me- the effort in that and all they need to do is add a switchback ( white/yellow) led. but hey it must be cheaper to cut the wire, add a connector run wire and add globe and holder to the fog light. ;)

OP
OP
rogisilva

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Yeah, Sometimes I just don't understand the logic in the things they do. I am wondering if there is any regulation about running the original daylights that they just couldn't meet for some reason... who knows, If I am lucky maybe I just need to add a fuse... or the wiring will be simple. I guess I'll find out this weekend...

Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Yeah, Sometimes I just don't understand the logic in the things they do. I am wondering if there is any regulation about running the original daylights that they just couldn't meet for some reason... who knows, If I am lucky maybe I just need to add a fuse... or the wiring will be simple. I guess I'll find out this weekend...
Hi Igor,
I have read a number of other threads in this forum on this very issue. I have noted that the wiring for the export model does not cater for the daytime running light in the headlight. Also our headlight does not have any led source. People in Europe have tried changing out the headlight assembly, then found the wiring harness does not support the running lights.
On the subject of auto adjusting, there is meant to be a manual adjustment on the dash next to the headlight switch, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Have you noticed this?

OP
OP
rogisilva

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Hi Igor,
I have read a number of other threads in this forum on this very issue. I have noted that the wiring for the export model does not cater for the daytime running light in the headlight. Also our headlight does not have any led source. People in Europe have tried changing out the headlight assembly, then found the wiring harness does not support the running lights.
On the subject of auto adjusting, there is meant to be a manual adjustment on the dash next to the headlight switch, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Have you noticed this?
Do you mean there aren't any LEDs in the physical light? It seems that there is a ring there... hmmm I might still have a look to see what can be done about this disgraceful situation lol.

I haven't seen any adjustment buttons? Only the headlight switch and the dimming controls for the footlights and instrument cluster...

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
This subject goes for all Export Model JLs, none of them come with the Halo Running lights. there is no Halo LED inside the headlight itself, and no wires going from it to the BCM. Export models have 3 pins and US models have 4 pins.

Here are some pictures of the back of the headlights:

Export Models (LED Package):
IMG_0500.JPG

US Models (LED Package):
IMG_0499.JPG

That being said, if you change the headlight to a US Spec, it will still not work because Export Models are missing one Wire going to the BCM, if you add that wire, you would have to program the Jeep at a dealership to add the Halo Function.

It is Doable, but not worth all the effort IMO.

Last edited:

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Hey guys, been a while as I've been in the states since SEMA week. Got to see a lot of wicked jeeps. But I ordered a tazer JL Mini and had it sent to my friends at protective film solutions in Santa ana, Cali. I'm picking it up in 2 days from them and flying back to Aus on the weekend. This device allows you to enable and disable the halo halo. So if the wiring somehow supports it, I'll try turning them on and see if it works.. but I would also like this feature.. but the lights could be different to US spec as more often then not, LHD and RHD lights are different from what I understand.

Also yes the lights self level, I see them do it every night when I reverse down my driveway which is steep.

As for manual adjustment, I don't believe you can. The dials next to the headlight controls are 1) dash light brightness and 2) front footwell light brightness which I bet a lot of people don't even know about as it's so subtle haha

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, been a while as I've been in the states since SEMA week. Got to see a lot of wicked jeeps. But I ordered a tazer JL Mini and had it sent to my friends at protective film solutions in Santa ana, Cali. I'm picking it up in 2 days from them and flying back to Aus on the weekend. This device allows you to enable and disable the halo halo. So if the wiring somehow supports it, I'll try turning them on and see if it works.. but I would also like this feature.. but the lights could be different to US spec as more often then not, LHD and RHD lights are different from what I understand.

Also yes the lights self level, I see them do it every night when I reverse down my driveway which is steep.

As for manual adjustment, I don't believe you can. The dials next to the headlight controls are 1) dash light brightness and 2) front footwell light brightness which I bet a lot of people don't even know about as it's so subtle haha
Knowing what i mentioned above, the Tazer JL was tested on Export models. it does not do anything because the hardware for the Halos don't exist.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rogisilva

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
This subject goes for all Export Model JLs, none of them come with the Halo Running lights. there is no Halo LED inside the headlight itself, and no wires going from it to the BCM. Export models have 3 pins and US models have 4 pins.

Here are some pictures of the back of the headlights:

Export Models (LED Package):
IMG_0500.JPG

US Models (LED Package):
IMG_0499.JPG

That being said, if you change the headlight to a US Spec, it will still not work because Export Models are missing one Wire going to the BCM, if you add that wire, you would have to program the Jeep at a dealership to add the Halo Function.

It is Doable, but not worth all the effort IMO.

Thanks for the post! Saved me a ton of effort! Why on earth would they do this! It's something small really, but so sad! Especially as I can't see why they would do that? Unless specific countries have regulations against it and it the export is just a blanket spec for some things...

At least they pushed hard and succeeded in getting the steal bumpers...

Actually, I wonder if this means aftermarket lights won't support driving lights either...
In terms of wiring, if they had the LEDs I would try and just connect them to the fender driving lights.... Have them operate from the same signal.

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the post! Saved me a ton of effort! Why on earth would they do this! It's something small really, but so sad! Especially as I can't see why they would do that? Unless specific countries have regulations against it and it the export is just a blanket spec for some things...

At least they pushed hard and succeeded in getting the steal bumpers...

Actually, I wonder if this means aftermarket lights won't support driving lights either...
In terms of wiring, if they had the LEDs I would try and just connect them to the fender driving lights.... Have them operate from the same signal.
I agree with you, it does not make sense at all! even the taillights are different and the wiring for them as well.

I don't know about the aftermarket headlights but technically they wouldn't be plug and play, unless they are designed/engineered outside the USA.

And only you Australians got the steel bumper (illegal to have steel bumpers in some countries in the Middle east and Europe) :facepalm: i had to buy mine after getting my Jeep.

Oh is the US model also self levelling?
All LED equipped Jeeps have Self leveling (US + Export).

aah78

First Name
Ads
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JL)
OP
OP
rogisilva

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Yeah see, I wouldn't want to lose the self levelling ability for the sake of the Halo....

But the fix seems simple.
1. Buy US headlights
2. Open US Headlights, remove LED Diodes.
3. Buy another pair of US Headlights.
4. Repeat step two, this time without breaking headlights.
5. Remove Aussie Headlights
6. Open Aussie Headlights, find locations of LED Diodes.
7. Super Glue
8. Unstick fingers.
9. Watch some soldering tutorials on Youtube.
10. Buy Aussie Headlights.
11. Finally install LED elements on Aussie headlights.
12. Put together Aussie Headlights.
13. Duct tape.
14.Wire modified, now angelic looking headlights back in.
15. Somehow custom fit a wire that goes from the LED light pin to the Fender driving lights.
16. Double check that the wiring is all correct and good. In theory your Halos will now operate whenever the fenders are operating.
17. Turn on Jeep and lights.
18. Buy new Headlights and Fender Lights.
Sponsored