Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if the terrain you were crossing wasn't lifting tires, then you didn't find the limits of the articulation OR the problem with the Torsens. It's all relative.
Well the thing is, when you get your HMMWV licence you get taken through both on road and off road courses. Parts of the off road course is designed specifically for off camber driving, and they articulate pretty well, but differently from something with solid axles, so they stay pretty well planted.

Also, I will continue to assert that I've had zero traction problems with HMMWVs in all the years I drove them, even when I broke a half shaft in the front and was effectively in three wheel drive heading back to the motor pool. :giggle:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen the courses designed for those tests. As I said, it's all relative.
well yes, I certainly wouldn't expect a 12,000 lb armored vehicle to do what is in your profile pic, but its very capable.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That profile pic is pretty tame....a few 2.5 foot boulders and a 3.5' shelf out of a wash. Plenty of modded Jeeps do that same obstacle without lifting tires...an H1 wouldn't just b/c the way it's laid out and since there's no way through but that particular line (only around). Nothing wrong with that...just different definitions of what "capable" means.
Certainly, they're built for different purposes. A HMMWV (note that I'm not talking about the H1 with all of the frills) can carry 8-10 Marines, their personal gear, radios, ect over all types of terrain. I'm pretty happy with em.

Now if you want to hate on H2s, I'll happily join you... :devil:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I actually have wheeled with several H2s. I was actually shocked how well they did. Obviously not as good as the H1, but fared better than the H3 Alphas mainly due to the better GC with larger lifts/tires and the steering in the H3s was an atrociously poor design that left several as trail tampons on various trips.
Interesting, I always figured the H3 would have been something I would have taken off road rather than the H2, due to the smaller footprint. I haven't driven either one of those vehicles though.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's exactly what I'd always thought. It was just too low to the ground and the tie rod ends were Caprice sized (there are now aftermarkets available from what I understand). To be fair, there really wasn't much in the way of lifts for substantially larger tires for the H3 so they were limited to 35s as the biggest tire I'd wheeled with on one and most were running fairly stock with 33s. The couple of H2s were lifted a lot more with 37s and 38s IIRC. They just managed to clear most of the stuff the H3s got hung up on when doing John Bull (as one example).
ugh, well I guess I did all right getting a Jeep, and not finding out all of this after trying to wheel with the H3.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So you had an Alpha?
no, but I was looking into them when I was going to replace my old Dakota back in 2012. It wouldn't have been an alpha though, but the 5 banger with a manual transmission. I looked at a few Jeeps too but wound up getting another truck. A Ram 1500 4x2, so wheeling wasn't on the table with that.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Mercedes g63 are plain ugly if you want reliability get a Mazda if you want a super expensive vehicle that smokes like a KTM 125 get a Mercedes:facepalm:

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Mercedes g63 are plain ugly if you want reliability get a Mazda if you want a super expensive vehicle that smokes like a KTM 125 get a Mercedes:facepalm:
Yes but the G63 is an AMG Mercedes, that’s different.

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
And they are at it again with another BS test where the Jimny wins.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And they are at it again with another BS test where the Jimny wins.

Jimny dude openly cheats, both times. they even say it. That Bowler though :surprised:

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Check out TFL I kind of agree with those guys no way street or summer tires on any car has a chance. Don't believe everything you see.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Do you have a JL?
No, JKUR 6spd. Unless you get it reprogrammed though, its the same thing- low range only to use either locker. Sure it's still a rear LSD when unlocked. If there were a way to get everything else, but opt out of the 4:1 t-case, I'd check that box.
Sponsored