Sponsored

A few new things I learned about my JLU today

Sol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JL Willys
I simply hate not being able to control these features as I see fit. I like to do some hunting.....and when I cannot control the lights or wipers or such things it literally pisses me off. WHY do I need some idiotic program telling me how to run my ride? STOP with all this nonsense. I want to control my life.
Not picking on @Foggy47 in particular; but he did give us Sport owners a reason to feel superior to all the smug Rubicon owners - we can manually operate our lights as we please.
Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I simply hate not being able to control these features as I see fit. I like to do some hunting.....and when I cannot control the lights or wipers or such things it literally pisses me off. WHY do I need some idiotic program telling me how to run my ride? STOP with all this nonsense. I want to control my life.
The lights do not come one with the wipers when the headlight switch is off do they?

Sponsored

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I have to hit the ess button, the heated steering wheel button and the heated seat button 3 times, then I can get underway. Secretly, I like the feature, but wish I had a setting to turn it off if I wanted
I call this my Pre-Flight Check and it can be really annoying in the winter:

Step 1 - Turn off the radio because the radio always turns itself on when I start the car regardless of whether or not I was listening to it;
Step 2 - Turn off the heated wheel. It's really unnecessary above freezing.
Step 3 - Turn off the heated seats. This requires the button to be pushed 3 times. Again really unnecessary above freezing;
Step 4 - Turn off the ESS;
Step 5 - Turn off Traction control if conditions warrant controlling the power to the wheels myself;
Step 6 - Set the cabin temp, fan speed and vent location (or maybe just hit auto).

So after I've pressed 8-10 buttons I check the flap settings and get pushed back out of my driveway for departure.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
YOU ARE NOW CLEAR FOR TAKE OFF.
i feel the same way....

Reactions: RTJ

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
New automobiles have brightly lit dashboards, so some people don't realize their headlights aren't even on.
Local LEO's love this.
Local dealers love to turn the auto headlights off. I get it, they don't want the lights shining in their face when they're working on the car. But they never have the decency to turn them back on. I bet that's where a lot of that comes from.

The DRLs are usually bright enough in the city that you won't notice the difference either!

I like the way our cadillac does it lol. It is set by default to automatically re-enable the auto headlights when you turn the car on.

In regards to ESS: I live on a busy street, so I back into my driveway when I park. I've had mornings where I turned the Jeep on, pulled out a little bit, and stopped to wait for traffic - only for my Jeep's ESS to shut the engine off lol. I don't mind it shutting the engine off, I just wish it wasn't so damn stupid. Why does it feel the need to shut the engine off 10 seconds after being started? You'd think there'd be a minimum amount of time. Or even better, make the dang thing GPS aware so it only shuts off at busy intersections!

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I can't believe this isn't a law everywhere. It isn't for you to see, but for others to see you. One of my biggest pet peeves when driving (it is a law where I live).
I think daytime running lights should come with auto-headlight as a mandatory setting. I always see people driving with no taillights because their dash is lit and they have the DRLs giving them some light ahead of them.

haha...shouldn't have done a quick read of the thread, as @Snayte covered this already :P

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Local dealers love to turn the auto headlights off. I get it, they don't want the lights shining in their face when they're working on the car. But they never have the decency to turn them back on. I bet that's where a lot of that comes from.

The DRLs are usually bright enough in the city that you won't notice the difference either!

I like the way our cadillac does it lol. It is set by default to automatically re-enable the auto headlights when you turn the car on.

In regards to ESS: I live on a busy street, so I back into my driveway when I park. I've had mornings where I turned the Jeep on, pulled out a little bit, and stopped to wait for traffic - only for my Jeep's ESS to shut the engine off lol. I don't mind it shutting the engine off, I just wish it wasn't so damn stupid. Why does it feel the need to shut the engine off 10 seconds after being started? You'd think there'd be a minimum amount of time. Or even better, make the dang thing GPS aware so it only shuts off at busy intersections!

Strange that yours shuts off after only running 10 seconds from a cold start. Mine requires at least a good mile of driving to get the engine and battery warm enough for the stop/start system to function.

Sponsored

73CJto19JL

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi, 2015 GMC Sierra, 1964 Chevy Chevelle Malibu SS Convertible
Occupation
Electrical/ Controls Engineer
All of my GM cars have had automatic headlamps for over 20 years now. Sometimes I get into rental cars - particularly some Japanese ones that don't have that feature - and typically in a well lit airport setting. Motoring down the road I realize I'm running without lights because I can't recall the last time I had to do it myself! I'm glad this modern Jeep has them as well, and really like that the fog lamps recall their last state if you want (My 2015 GMC does not). But at the same time, the Jeep cuts power to the garage door opener when the ignition is off - which is super annoying.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Strange that yours shuts off after only running 10 seconds from a cold start. Mine requires at least a good mile of driving to get the engine and battery warm enough for the stop/start system to function.
It has to already be warmed up. The most common culprit is I'll stop at a store, pick something up, get back in the Jeep, fire it up, drive up to the stop sign at the end of the row, and the jeep shuts off. lol. Then I'll laugh and hit the ESS button.

I tend to use it the opposite way. I hit the button when I want the engine to shut off at a particular intersection!

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
It has to already be warmed up. The most common culprit is I'll stop at a store, pick something up, get back in the Jeep, fire it up, drive up to the stop sign at the end of the row, and the jeep shuts off. lol. Then I'll laugh and hit the ESS button.

I tend to use it the opposite way. I hit the button when I want the engine to shut off at a particular intersection!
That is kind of how I do it too. I know specifically which lights I can use it at. If you have a manual you can leave it in gear to "disable" it.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
1. If you have the headlights turned to auto and you are running DRLs, when you turn on the wipers it also turns on the full headlights (how many of us knew this).

2. When using the remote start below 40 degrees, in addition to it turning on the Heated Seats & Stearing Wheel, it also sets the heat blower onto some kind of super blast made which will stay on until you open the door to get in, then it cuts down to normal (cool as hell feature). You can not access this super blast mode manually.

3. The colder it is outside the warmer your heated seat and steering wheel will be (variable temp), pretty cool.
I hate the auto super blast mode on my crv with it's tiny 1.5L you could leave the car running for 45mins and it will still be cold as hell inside. I hope the 3.6L in the jl heats up fast.
Sponsored