Sponsored

Installed Tyger rear bumper - heck of a nice bumper for $319 also compatible with back up sensors

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
It is mostly used items or damaged packaging or returns. There was only one bumper when I bought it. It got delivered yesterday and looks like the box had never been opened. I can see where a shipping label was cut off so I assume it was a return that was never opened. I’ve had pretty good luck with the warehouse deals.

This bumper is pretty heavy. Hope to get it installed today. Getting the sensors installed is my only concern.

There are still a couple new ones for $299. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ST47KWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just grabbed what I think was the last one. Tyger is showing several available on Ebay for $319.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2k2wranglerx

2k2wranglerx

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JL
Here's the gap between the fender and bumper. I don't think it's a big deal... also, sorry these pics are crazy looking. I snapped them quickly and must have bumped a setting on the camera for fisheye lol

Fn0qgUv.jpg

U3ORI4F.jpg

pOY4COW.jpg

i'm also digging the back up lights behind the grates. How's the output? I just had these laying around so i tossed them on.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Here's the gap between the fender and bumper. I don't think it's a big deal... also, sorry these pics are crazy looking. I snapped them quickly and must have bumped a setting on the camera for fisheye lol

i'm also digging the back up lights behind the grates. How's the output? I just had these laying around so i tossed them on.
That fisheye look is a bit funky. ha ha.

I haven't tested the output in the dark yet. I'll try to do it soon and get some pics. I have the Rigid Ignite small cubes, so they are pretty small but do a decent job. https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-20541-Back-Up-Diffused/dp/B01HJ4G93G/

I agree with you about the gap. It's not as bad as I envisioned. I've seen some armor for those corners that might tidy it up but I'm not going to worry with it now. The bumper is solid and I'm tickled with it.

To continue the sensor discussion - there is a thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/switching-parking-sensors-to-new-bumper.9253/) that has some good details.

I also found the steel bumper sensor components:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/rear-parking-sensor-bezel-jl-steel-bumper-6MH83RXFAB

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/rear-bumper-sensor-decoupler-jl-steel-bumper-68289851AA

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I'd like to see some protection for that rear quarter panel. But then my JLUR is currently protected by the OEM plastic one. Don't think there is much difference in protection.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
OP
OP
2k2wranglerx

2k2wranglerx

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JL

Sponsored

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Bumper showed up today but had some slight damage. It was packaged pretty well but UPS must have dropped it on its end more than a few times between California and here so there was damage to the coating exposing bare metal and even a gouge in it. I'm sure I will eventually scrape it up but its still going back to Amazon for a replacement.
20191122_113104.jpg
20191122_112725.jpg
20191122_112721.jpg

OP
OP
2k2wranglerx

2k2wranglerx

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JL
Bumper showed up today but had some slight damage. It was packaged pretty well but UPS must have dropped it on its end more than a few times between California and here so there was damage to the coating exposing bare metal and even a gouge in it. I'm sure I will eventually scrape it up but its still going back to Amazon for a replacement.
20191122_113104.jpg
20191122_112725.jpg
20191122_112721.jpg
looking like there will be one in the amazon warehouse here shortly lol

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Wife's Tyger showed up undamaged. Install was straightforward. As others have stated, removing the backup sensors was tedious, eventually I used a grinder with a cutting wheel. The OEM bumper is just crap anyway. Install of sensors wasn't much easier. For extra security, I "pinched" the metal flanges on the bumpers sensor mounts after I installed the sensors. This should keep them from working loose.

We installed the AEV 2" Spacer lift Saturday and we get the 35's on Friday. Hope the spare fits but I have a plan B if it don't.

20191124_195921.jpg

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Wife's Tyger showed up undamaged. Install was straightforward. As others have stated, removing the backup sensors was tedious, eventually I used a grinder with a cutting wheel. The OEM bumper is just crap anyway. Install of sensors wasn't much easier. For extra security, I "pinched" the metal flanges on the bumpers sensor mounts after I installed the sensors. This should keep them from working loose.

We installed the AEV 2" Spacer lift Saturday and we get the 35's on Friday. Hope the spare fits but I have a plan B if it don't.

20191124_195921.jpg
Looks GREAT! I think this is one of the better looking aftermarket options (not just because of the price) even though it was originally designed for the JK and adapted for the JL.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I've been looking to replace my plastic bumper with metal. I have a RockHard aluminum on the front that I am very impressed with. Their rear is about a grand plus shipping. When I saw this one on the forum, I decided to violate my buy American and give it a shot. I installed it today and am very happy with the results. I'm not in love with the gap between bumper and fender or the license plate location but i think I can live with both. The bumper comes with the parts to fit the back up sensors and they are very easy to install. The hardest part is dissecting the plastic bumper to remove the sensors and cable. I was alone and the install took a little over 3 hours. If you don't have the back up sensors, install should be a slam dunk. Good product.
Sponsored