Sponsored

What other vehicles are you cross shopping? $5-6k increase causing second thoughts on JLU

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
I doubt it, there is always the sport which will appeal to people that don’t want to spend 40-50k, they have made the vehicle more capable, more refined, while moving it upmarket..if anything, the wrangler is poised to become more coveted. Time will tell, but I see what they are trying to do and I’m happy that they are doing it vs countinuing the status quo, they flogged the JK horse for everything they had, it was time to step up the game.
I agree , the JLs are selling like crazy look at this he wait times
Sponsored

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
VFX Artist / Photographer / Cinematographer
I think all the JKs that will be on the lots will be priced a bit better and will go to people that couldn't afford them new or at nearly new price.
The JL is a big improvement from the JK and I still can't find something that I wanted in there and I don't have.

I don't think there is anything to compare the JL or JK against. If you want to compare apples to apples, solid axles, removable top, rock crawling ratios and all the new stuff they have added aren't available anywhere else.
That's also the reason why I decided to buy it new (first time I buy a new vehicle), there isn't anything quite like that.

The only competitor might be the new Ford Bronco, assuming they stick with the solid axles and they can remove the top. But only time will tell...

G.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
One thing I agree with you on as I wait for my new JLUR, if this model turns out not to be a substantial upgrade in both refinement and quality ( I do believe it will be) it will be my last wrangler... unless I buy and old classic as a 3rd car. I like where Jeep is taking this, but they need to walk the walk then, I put up with the JK's faults, and all of my other Wranglers before then because to an extent they were a price point vehicle...we have gotten beyond that now, so my expectations will be much higher.
I agree and I also think they have stepped up the product substantially

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Lately I have been keeping an eye out for a 1965/66 Mustang. I had a '65 many years ago and it was a lot of fun. I was also looking at a Unimog 404 but that sold. I already have two open top 4x4s, so its not like I require a JL for that fun. And blowing my wad on one new vehicle doesn't appeal to me as much as it does for some other people. I would get a first gen Bronco if prices were better. Basically right now, I am weighing one JLU against possibility of several other vehicles with money left over. Depends on which route would be most fun, cost effective and make me feel good about spending. The $500 price increase that went live today on the JL doesn't do much to incline me towards a new JL.

Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Hello guys. First post here.

I was wondering what vehicle or vehicles you were cross shopping against the JL. I was 90% set on buying a JL later this year but now with all the details set, I'm definitely having second thoughts after running the numbers.

My calculation for a nearly $6,000 price increase between a similarly spec'd JKU Sahara and JLU Sahara is due to the specific Wrangler that I want. I'm not claiming it is this big of an increase for everyone but for me personally it will be. I take it that many potential customers will be in a similar boat. Also, I don't want this thread to be about whether or not it is worth the extra money as you can make a strong case for both sides. Here is the breakdown.

Standard LED's vs LED Package = $900 Increase
$1400 Auto vs $2000 Auto = $600 increase
$500 LSD vs $1500 LSD = $1000 increase (this is due to being forced to opt for the optional wheels for the JLU that I would have otherwise passed on)
$1000 Hardtop vs $1100 Hardtop = $100 increase
$35340 vs $38540 = $3200 increase

As you can see if you choose a certain set of nearly identical options, the price increase ends up being $5800 more than a comparable JKU. If you account for the side airbags, it is still a $5300 increase.

The options listed above plus select trac/tow package and I'm looking at nearly $50k out the door. This price point opens the door to an enormous number of other options.

I'm cross shopping the JLU with significantly more comfortable/fun daily drivers around the $35-40k range and building my 01 XJ Cherokee/switching it out for a TJ. That would give me a fairly capable off road toy and a very large pool of potential vehicles to choose from. Anyone else considering the 2 car route?

Is a well optioned JLU worth 50 Grand? In my opinion, definitely yes. Will a JLU be more enjoyable than daily driving a new Mustang GT, Challenger Scat Pack or even something like an Audi A4 AND having a (shitty) weekend 4x4 toy for a similar amount? Very hard to answer that one.

Sorry for the long and rambling first post. Just wanted to share my thoughts and see if anyone else was going through this exact scenario. Thanks!
Ummmm you dont deserve a jeep. A true jeepster would just get the Jeep. Comparing it to an suv? Ugh. How dare you. Nothing comes between a Jeep and its owner. Bye Felicia.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have been set on the JL for a while but I'm kinda thinking I might wait until the revamp and get the 2018 f150 crew instead. Also looked at the jaguar F pace but not going that direction.
Every time I buy a new truck or SUV I regret not getting the jeep because instead of selling it or trading it in I can park it at the cabin next to our 2" lifted ZJ for our entire family to enjoy for years. The resale value of jeeps is really like no other vehicle and being able to buy limitless accessories is always fun.
IMO the JL price is a little steep. I feel it's about 5k too much. The JL I want cost 50k so I'm going to wait for the revamp or 3-12 months to see if I can get the same 50k JL at 44ish. I've been seeing these cool colored, modded out Tacomas around and I catch myself intrigued by them.

Last edited:

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Lately I have been keeping an eye out for a 1965/66 Mustang.
I have a 68 Mustang convertible in the garage as well, but the Jeep has got my complete attention currently. Not sure if the boss is paying attention to now needing 2 car side funds, but hey, why not?

:surprised:

OP
OP
BBQCHICKENALERT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, Mini Countryman S
Ummmm you dont deserve a jeep. A true jeepster would just get the Jeep. Comparing it to an suv? Ugh. How dare you. Nothing comes between a Jeep and its owner. Bye Felicia.

You dug up a 2 month old thread and added absolutely nothing to it. There were 8 pages of great conversation and informative posts shared by mature adults. If you don't like the subject matter, why did you even decide to post?

Or you could've been respectful and gave your 2 cents on the actual reasons why you personally wouldn't compare Jeeps with other vehicles. However, you can't impose your OPINION on other people. You have to respect others for you to receive respect back. The world doesn't revolved around you or anybody else.

But instead of being an adult, you just came to complain in a 2 month old thread. And for what?

God damn people these days...

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
Be sure to consider the actual cost in the long term. Edmunds.com has a "total cost of ownership" calculator that factors in all the major costs over 5 years. Using that, if I bought an Subaru Outback and a JL, then sold them both at the end of the 5 years, my cost would be about the same for each. I'd be putting up more money to buy the JL but I'd get a lot of that difference back when I sold it.

Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I
You dug up a 2 month old thread and added absolutely nothing to it. There were 8 pages of great conversation and informative posts shared by mature adults. If you don't like the subject matter, why did you even decide to post?

Or you could've been respectful and gave your 2 cents on the actual reasons why you personally wouldn't compare Jeeps with other vehicles. However, you can't impose your OPINION on other people. You have to respect others for you to receive respect back. The world doesn't revolved around you or anybody else.

But instead of being an adult, you just came to complain in a 2 month old thread. And for what?

God damn people these days...
I gave my opinion. I would not compare other vehicles with jeeps, they are not like other vehicles. They are not suvs or passenger cars. They are used for those purposes bc we love them. My post was more out of humor for being a jeep lover. If all those factors are important then he needs to buy exactly what is going to fit his needs, jeeps are jeeps meaning you either love them and spend the time and money or you don't. So my comment "you don't deserve a jeep ect" was not meant with rudeness, it was written in good spirits with a fellow jeep owner putting in his two cents! And I dont care how old the post was, it was new to me! Geez dude Lighten up. There was no complaining either. I hoped you (as well as other) would recognize a lil good spirited fun from a young woman who is on her 6th wrangler, has had muscle cars, luxury cars, performance cars and knows you buy a jeep bc its a jeep..... no other factors involved. Or atleast not for me. Heres hoping you have a sunny and fun day in your jeep, as I will do in mine. No hard feeling towards you, or your lashing out bc the context of my post came off as mean spirited.... my apologies to anyone who felt as offended as you as you did. Perhaps I should put a disclaimer in my posts to ensure I don't upset people the way I upset you. But "GD"ing me was way out of line. That was uncalled for. You don't say that, not in my world which these days revolves around my jl stuck in D.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
I

I gave my opinion. I would not compare other vehicles with jeeps, they are not like other vehicles. They are not suvs or passenger cars. They are used for those purposes bc we love them. My post was more out of humor for being a jeep lover. If all those factors are important then he needs to buy exactly what is going to fit his needs, jeeps are jeeps meaning you either love them and spend the time and money or you don't. So my comment "you don't deserve a jeep ect" was not meant with rudeness, it was written in good spirits with a fellow jeep owner putting in his two cents! And I dont care how old the post was, it was new to me! Geez dude Lighten up. There was no complaining either. I hoped you (as well as other) would recognize a lil good spirited fun from a young woman who is on her 6th wrangler, has had muscle cars, luxury cars, performance cars and knows you buy a jeep bc its a jeep..... no other factors involved. Or atleast not for me. Heres hoping you have a sunny and fun day in your jeep, as I will do in mine. No hard feeling towards you, or your lashing out bc the context of my post came off as mean spirited.... my apologies to anyone who felt as offended as you as you did. Perhaps I should put a disclaimer in my posts to ensure I don't upset people the way I upset you. But "GD"ing me was way out of line. That was uncalled for. You don't say that, not in my world which these days revolves around my jl stuck in D.
Right On Irish!!!

TheMindbender

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX
JL vs F150/RAM

I think the current war between the pickup trucks may have an effect on JL

Youre going to get so much more for the money

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I'll hit you up in a couple of years and you can let us know how it worked out!

I hear Ford is targeting 2037 for a new off-roader. You may want to check that one out too. ;)
Hope this thread isn't too old to respond too....
In my opinion... go with the ford raptor... I speak from experience. Amazing ride, comfortable as heck, beyond spacious, i love this truck. (Not as much as my jeep... can't disrespect my baby) but it easily beats out any other truck (except for my families 79 ford...still going strong ole big red) and every suv i have owned. Its also fun to "personalize" just like a jeep! Does have stop start button (annoying) but that is my only complaint. Just be sure to get the side raptor decals..... they make it growl!

20180304_132128.jpg

20180304_132152.jpg

Jetg

First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' 911 convertible, 18' Macan PP
Hope this thread isn't too old to respond too....
In my opinion... go with the ford raptor... I speak from experience. Amazing ride, comfortable as heck, beyond spacious, i love this truck. (Not as much as my jeep... can't disrespect my baby) but it easily beats out any other truck (except for my families 79 ford...still going strong ole big red) and every suv i have owned. Its also fun to "personalize" just like a jeep! Does have stop start button (annoying) but that is my only complaint. Just be sure to get the side raptor decals..... they make it growl!

20180304_132128.jpg

20180304_132152.jpg
Sweet truck. If I had the room in our driveway I would buy a raptor. My wife said if I get the truck we have to sell the 911 turbo or we get the JL and you can keep the car. We can’t have 300k tied up in vehicles. So she nixed that idea so Jeep it is lol
Sponsored