Sponsored

Mopar CAI kit installed on JL today. Feedback / review.

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
@BikiniJLR and @BrntWS6 how does it sound? Did it get deeper, throatier, meaner? Is there a whistle? Or is the sound about the same, better, or worse? Looking forward to hearing a good description of what it did for you!

@BrntWS6, it will also be interesting to hear the difference between uncut hood and cut hood with the new CAI, too!
At idle and normal driving there’s virtually no difference that I can tell - WOT with the flap up or removed there’s a bit deeper/throatier sound but it’s not obnoxious. I have a muffler delete too (Dynamax) and feel the 2 work well together.

Right now we’re experiencing some heavy snow so I have the flap back in place to prevent any unwanted H2O consumption.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Let's have an update on how you guys are liking your Mopar CAI after living with it for a little bit.

Does it have a whistle sound? I rode in a buddy's Mustang 5.0 with a CAI and at high RPM, it made a whistle sound, which I didn't love. I'm looking for a little deeper and throatier sound. A little louder than stock is perfectly fine.

If I pull the trigger on a CAI, it will likely be the Mopar, but I'm still looking to see what Banks Power does. Like I've said before, I like being able to put a paper filter in there and close off the hole for off-roading or dusty times, like winter after the roads have been salted.

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Let's have an update on how you guys are liking your Mopar CAI after living with it for a little bit.

Does it have a whistle sound? I rode in a buddy's Mustang 5.0 with a CAI and at high RPM, it made a whistle sound, which I didn't love. I'm looking for a little deeper and throatier sound. A little louder than stock is perfectly fine.

If I pull the trigger on a CAI, it will likely be the Mopar, but I'm still looking to see what Banks Power does. Like I've said before, I like being able to put a paper filter in there and close off the hole for off-roading or dusty times, like winter after the roads have been salted.
I’ve noticed no whistling sounds at any point. Flap closed there’s hardly any difference in sound at all, flap open maybe a bit deeper/throatier but not that much. It’s a very livable mod.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve noticed no whistling sounds at any point. Flap closed there’s hardly any difference in sound at all, flap open maybe a bit deeper/throatier but not that much. It’s a very livable mod.
That sounds about perfect! When you get a chance, please put up a pic of the entire Jeep from the right side. I'd like to see how the opening looks from that perspective. From the closeup, it looks great, IMO.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6

My trans am made that whistle after i put a lid on it. Jeep definitely does not have that with the mopar piece.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My trans am made that whistle after i put a lid on it. Jeep definitely does not have that with the mopar piece.
That Trans-Am is gorgeous, btw. I've always had a love for those cars, including all generations, but especially the 77 Bandit, the 1988 GTA Turbo, and the WS6 Ram Air. I also lump the 89 FIrebird Formula 350 in there, for its clean lines. Man, I'd love to have any of those in my garage!

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
That Trans-Am is gorgeous, btw. I've always had a love for those cars, including all generations, but especially the 77 Bandit, the 1988 GTA Turbo, and the WS6 Ram Air. I also lump the 89 FIrebird Formula 350 in there, for its clean lines. Man, I'd love to have any of those in my garage!
Thanks, fell in love with the design in '98 due to the aggressive hood. When GM announced the end of pontiac and the 4th gens i had to buy one. Its held it's value very well since its a rare color and miles are low.

I will probably sell it when my kids graduate as part of my retirement plan, driven it once this year. Had an '89 as well but with the 305, that thing was slow as hell.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, fell in love with the design in '98 due to the aggressive hood. When GM announced the end of pontiac and the 4th gens i had to buy one. Its held it's value very well since its a rare color and miles are low.

I will probably sell it when my kids graduate as part of my retirement plan, driven it once this year. Had an '89 as well but with the 305, that thing was slow as hell.
My second car was an 86 Firebird. It was a base model with steel wheels, although they looked pretty cool. It has a 2.8 liter V6, so that 305 would have felt like a rocketship compared to it! Lol! Still, I loved the clean look on that old Bird and even the little V6 had a nice rumble to it. The thing handled like it was on rails and it was still fun with the 5 speed manual.

Things could have been worse. I had a buddy with a mid-eighties Firebird with a 2.5 liter Iron Duke and an automatic. He did love it, though, and it probably was more fun than my first car, which was a 1984 Chevrolet Chevette 4 door. :LOL:

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
My second car was an 86 Firebird. It was a base model with steel wheels, although they looked pretty cool. It has a 2.8 liter V6, so that 305 would have felt like a rocketship compared to it! Lol! Still, I loved the clean look on that old Bird and even the little V6 had a nice rumble to it. The thing handled like it was on rails and it was still fun with the 5 speed manual.

Things could have been worse. I had a buddy with a mid-eighties Firebird with a 2.5 liter Iron Duke and an automatic. He did love it, though, and it probably was more fun than my first car, which was a 1984 Chevrolet Chevette 4 door. :LOL:

All kids need a shit car to start. Mine was a 1982 subaru gl. Totaled that then i got a 1979 mercury zephyr for $300. It ran so i was happy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds about perfect! When you get a chance, please put up a pic of the entire Jeep from the right side. I'd like to see how the opening looks from that perspective. From the closeup, it looks great, IMO.
Quick picture after work today....

300692B3-D05D-4BBD-B8B0-8368A489C472.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Quick picture after work today....

300692B3-D05D-4BBD-B8B0-8368A489C472.jpeg
Gotta say that looks amazing! Heck, that whole Jeep looks amazing! Love that Bikini color!

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta say that looks amazing! Heck, that whole Jeep looks amazing! Love that Bikini color!
Thanks - I appreciate it.

She came along quickly, money from mods sold off my JK paid for mods on this one right away. Next year will be some armor underneath but she’s pretty close to the way I want her.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Good stuff here! Thanks all. Mopar CAI is now available to order as stock configuration. Debating if I should get it on my diesel. Can someone shed light on CAI on a diesel?
Sponsored