First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
No, it wouldn't. Not for a grand.
...or not for long, anyway. It would break or break down. But it would be a whole lotta fun and not break the bank to get rolling again. That’s why I really want a beater old XJ or TJ to just have and work on like I did with my old YJ, and not have to rely on it to get to work every day. One of these days I’ll find a nice old XJ like @wibornz did and just have it for kicks. 4.0 with the AX-15 please.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP Jeff, Veterans Day tomorrow, thanks for your service!
Funny thread BTW. Love our new 2dr JL and our past 2 drs (from an old Bronco, a POS 73 Chevy Blazer, and our CJs). Never had the need for more doors but for those that do, what the hell are you gonna do, leave the kids at Grandmas all the time?? Jeeps with 4 doors are still REAL Jeeps, just not as fun, especially making quick U-turns, that's always a smile churner!! :)

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
OP Jeff, Veterans Day tomorrow, thanks for your service!
Funny thread BTW. Love our new 2dr JL and our past 2 drs (from an old Bronco, a POS 73 Chevy Blazer, and our CJs). Never had the need for more doors but for those that do, what the hell are you gonna do, leave the kids at Grandmas all the time?? Jeeps with 4 doors are still REAL Jeeps, just not as fun, especially making quick U-turns, that's always a smile churner!! :)
Thank you Brad, and thank you for your support! Also, a big shout out to all of my other internet/veteran buddies on this site!

My first 4x4 when I was a young man was a ‘73 FJ40 LC. It was a two-door but longer than the CJs at that time. I miss that truck. It was a beater AND a BEAST!

I traded in an FJC for my Jeep. Although it was basically a two-door (suicide doors don’t qualify, IMO), it was just as long and heavy as my 4-door Jeep, as were the plethora of other trucks we’ve owned over the decades. Also, I spent a lot of driver seat ass time in an M151 at the beginning of my military career. It was a tiny thing, with web doors, 4” of slop in the steering, extreme body roll, etc. So I haven’t been spoiled by quality time in a modern, civilian two-door Jeep.

With the millions of miles driving craptastic and good modern vehicles throughout my life, I’ve never had as much fun, or smiled as much, in my new four-door JLU.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Not sure why you think either of those equate to capability, but whatever. Neither requires any skill...jumping just requires a disregard for the vehicle (unless properly set up)...and going WOT is fine in all sorts of places....certainly in mud, sand, snow or many other low traction situations.
I think you missed the point. It is an 800 dollar beater. Meaning that after I put a lift on it, and some used 35 in tires, I am going to have a couple days worth of pay into it. If I blow it up or total it, it will mean nothing. Just because a vehicle has capability, does not mean one is willing to push it to its full capability. Especially a 50 to 60 thousand dollar new JL.

So if anyone with a new JL wants to have a Jumping contest against my 800 dollar XJ, let me know.

Or recreate this video with your JL.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
No, I understood yours...you specifically said "outwheel". "Out wheel" isn't generally considered a jumping contest....if that's the parameter to judge by, I can buy a used 250cc dirt bike for around $800 and "outwheel" you all day long and have plenty of longevity left over in that bike.

Just b/c you're not willing to push a $60K vehicle to its "limits" (however you want to define that) doesn't mean other owners are not.

A lift (and it's going to have to be a HUGE one to clear 35s on a Cherokee unless you're cutting the shit out of the fenders) and 35s (which are too big for the axles, especially if you plan to "jump" it) make it marginally more capable in terms of clearance. You have no drivetrain traction upgrades so your ability to do actual obstacles is going to be just as limited as before.

But whatever....having wheeled a 4.0L Cherokee in the past, I know the limitations. With just a lift and some oversize tires, they're fun on mild trails. Anything serious is a recipe for breakage.
Duh that why I typed 90% of JL owners. Are we talking dirt bikes or Jeeps. Funny I though this was a Jeep forum.

If you want parameters, Recreate the video with your JL that I posted. Should be no big deal.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Or maybe this video.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I think you missed the point. It is an 800 dollar beater. Meaning that after I put a lift on it, and some used 35 in tires, I am going to have a couple days worth of pay into it. If I blow it up or total it, it will mean nothing. Just because a vehicle has capability, does not mean one is willing to push it to its full capability. Especially a 50 to 60 thousand dollar new JL.

So if anyone with a new JL wants to have a Jumping contest against my 800 dollar XJ, let me know.

Or recreate this video with your JL.

Looks like you were having a blast, and no one got hurt, pretty good on those mild tires too! Used to get some crazy air w/ our 80 CJ-7 w/ sand paddles out at the Kermit sand hills in west Texas, and that was with a lame Pontiac Iron Duke 4 banger. You definitely got your $1k worth w/ just that clip alone :)
Cheers!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
K, tough guy. You and your Cherokar are the shit. Good for you.
I am not not claiming to be tough, not claiming that an XJ is the shit. This was all done in fun and you took it seriously. The whole point is no one is going to wheel a new JL like a beater. Dam do you need a dollar to buy a sense of humor.

I have a 19 lifted JLUR, I have wheeled it hard and know it capabilities. That does not mean I would treat my JLUR like a 800 dollar beater XJ. So stop being all butthurt, it's just not that deep.

Try posting something funny, it might make you feel good.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Looks like you were having a blast, and no one got hurt, pretty good on those mild tires too! Used to get some crazy air w/ our 80 CJ-7 w/ sand paddles out at the Kermit sand hills in west Texas, and that was with a lame Pontiac Iron Duke 4 banger. You definitely got your $1k worth w/ just that clip alone :)
Cheers!
Not my Jeep, but it does look fun. I just bought a beater with a heater XJ so that I don't have to drive my JLUR during the winter. Michigan uses tons of salt on the roads. Unfortunately my wife crashed my truck and the insurance totaled it. That turned my JLUR into a daily driver for a few months. I prefer the JLUR to sit in the garage with the top and doors off for nice days or for off road trips.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
This is sadistic and tasteless, I know.

Next time you see a sharp-looking two-door rig, approach the owner, smile, and ask “May I ask you a question about your rig?” Usually you will get an enthusiastic “Yes!” You will have to decide if you will let him/her off the hook after you ask the following question:

“Is that there a mini-Jeep?”

Bah-dum-dum *crash*
Don’t worry you won’t see two doors at the malls and grocery stores you frequent.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Whats a phone booth ?
In some parts of some cities I’ve been in.... it’s a porta potty with a phone in it, and the phone book wasn’t used for looking up numbers....:facepalm:.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
In some parts of some cities I’ve been in.... it’s a porta potty with a phone in it, and the phone book wasn’t used for looking up numbers....:facepalm:.
:ontheloo: nice
Sponsored