Sponsored

Proof The Wrangler Diesel Could Have Had A Manual

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Yet another thread where someone is outraged and claims to have more market knowledge than FCA does. No one is buying manuals anymore, much less enough to justify federalizing a manual in a diesel. Be glad FCA is offering a manual at all. Hell, be glad they even offer a 2-door at this point. With a 10% take rate, the writing is on the wall.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I would throw down for a 2-door diesel with the manual. I’ve got a 2-door manual jeep already so I think I’m fairly credible as far as that goes.

But I don’t blame FCA for not offering it... I blame decades of American consumers who just don’t buy them anymore. No one to blame but ourselves, idiots!

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Like my Momma always said to me when I was a kid... (In her best Mick Jagger voice)
"You can't always get what you waa-aant
But if you try sometimes, well, you might find
You get what you neeeeeeeeeeeed"

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
HA!! Your reading-comprehension skills need some practice. Did you even read what I wrote?? Should I re-post the OP using bigger letters so you can read it better??

I am not going to explain it to you. Ask a local adult if you don't understand.

As for nobody wanting 2-doors, that's thanks to soccer-moms and mall crawlers everywhere. FCA saw everyone and their mother (literally) wanting SUVs so they made one. I bet if you count people who really wheel their Jeeps, I'd guess (totally unproven, just a guess) that there's far more than 10% in 2-doors.

You should thank all of those soccer moms and mall crawlers for buying Wranglers in spite of how mediocre they are for what those people are using them for, otherwise the Wrangler would have already ceased to exist as we know it. There simply aren't enough "real Jeepers" to justify making the model. And it was a gamble to make the JL a true evolution of the platform instead of transforming it into just another SUV. Thankfully those people keep buying them at the inflated price.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
HA!! Your reading-comprehension skills need some practice. Did you even read what I wrote?? Should I re-post the OP using bigger letters so you can read it better??

I am not going to explain it to you. Ask a local adult if you don't understand.

As for nobody wanting 2-doors, that's thanks to soccer-moms and mall crawlers everywhere. FCA saw everyone and their mother (literally) wanting SUVs so they made one. I bet if you count people who really wheel their Jeeps, I'd guess (totally unproven, just a guess) that there's far more than 10% in 2-doors.

Here is a great article about what I said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidv...ying-the-course-with-the-new-wrangler-jl/amp/

Sponsored

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
You should thank all of those soccer moms and mall crawlers for buying Wranglers in spite of how mediocre they are for what those people are using them for, otherwise the Wrangler would have already ceased to exist as we know it. There simply aren't enough "real Jeepers" to justify making the model. And it was a gamble to make the JL a true evolution of the platform instead of transforming it into just another SUV. Thankfully those people keep buying them at the inflated price.
Not to mention that it literally saved Jeep on the brink of bankruptcy in 2007 when the 4DR JK came out right before we hit peak recession. The company was in dire straits at the time and it wasn't until another 5 years later that the WK2 came out. You could argue that not only did the JK save Jeep, but probably Chrysler as a whole. Granted they did receive bailouts, but so did everyone else.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Yet another thread where someone is outraged and claims to have more market knowledge than FCA does. No one is buying manuals anymore, much less enough to justify federalizing a manual in a diesel. Be glad FCA is offering a manual at all. Hell, be glad they even offer a 2-door at this point. With a 10% take rate, the writing is on the wall.
This. He can be outraged all he wants and make up conspiracy theories but everyone else in this thread is correct.

OP
OP
mrhumble1

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
This. He can be outraged all he wants and make up conspiracy theories but everyone else in this thread is correct.
Well... I guess reading ISN'T fundamental because many of you seem to be incapable of understanding simple English. I guess I'll have to use smaller words next time.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Well... I guess reading ISN'T fundamental because many of you seem to be incapable of understanding simple English. I guess I'll have to use smaller words next time.
What words specifically? The ones where you said the only reason we see so many 4 doors is only because dealers push them? You're factually wrong and trying to make arguments based on your feelings. There is a very clear and simple reason discussed numerous times on this thread why they don't have a 2 door 3.0.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Maybe simple numbers will help you?

Straight from Aisin’s website:

Max torque input: 370 nm = 273 lb/ft

442 lb/ft > 273 lb/ft

903F0780-D127-4700-886B-54EFB68CA541.png

OP
OP
mrhumble1

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What words specifically? The ones where you said the only reason we see so many 4 doors is only because dealers push them? You're factually wrong and trying to make arguments based on your feelings. There is a very clear and simple reason discussed numerous times on this thread why they don't have a 2 door 3.0.

Again, there you go not reading what I wrote. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I NEVER SAID "the only reason we see so many 4 doors is only because dealers push them". I will re-post what I DID SAY in hopes that you read it this time:

I already did put my money on the line. You can see by my profile that I ordered a 2-door manual JL and bought it in March. I would have jumped at the chance to have a diesel engine in it. My point is that we don't even have a chance to get one even now, so how can FCA tell how many they would have sold???

Also, one reason there are so many JLUs out there is because dealers really push them. When I was ordering my 2-door they tried to sell me several 4-doors until they finally got the hint that I was serious.
ONE. REASON.

I know this because that's what they tried to do with me, and I have read MANY accounts of buyers walking in to dealerships looking for one thing and the dealer making a DEAL on another, and in the JL's case it's usually a 4-door. Do you really think dealerships DON'T push 4-doors?? Of course they do.

I also said that another big reason for the popularity of 4-doors are soccer moms and mall crawlers. I specifically said this.

The funny thing is that this nonsense about 2-door vs 4-door is way off topic.

Last edited:

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
I would be willing to bet that why the Aisin AL6 is rated at 273 lb/ft is because of the factory clutch with a aftermarket clutch it probably could handle 350 lb/ft just my opinion:)

OP
OP
mrhumble1

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe simple numbers will help you?

Straight from Aisin’s website:

Max torque input: 370 nm = 273 lb/ft

442 lb/ft > 273 lb/ft

903F0780-D127-4700-886B-54EFB68CA541.png
None of you know how to read or look at reference material before you post.

Ok I will say one more thing, that I already said, in hopes someone reads it:

THE CHIEF ENGINEER OF THE DIESEL PROJECT SAYS CLEARLY IN PLAIN ENGLISH THAT THERE IS NO TECHNICAL REASON WHY THERE IS NO DIESEL WITH A MANUAL OR IN A 2-DOOR.

Posting tech specs for a transmission that is obviously NOT COMPATIBLE is completely irrelevant. Why not post the specs for a VW DSG while you're at it? None of that matters because obviously they would have to use a different transmission (or at least a stronger clutch disc and pressure plate).

The point is that they could resolve all this if they wanted to, but they don't want to. The idea that they CAN'T is what the chief engineer himself discredited in the video I posted.

OP
OP
mrhumble1

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would be willing to bet that why the Aisin AL6 is rated at 273 lb/ft is because of the factory clutch with a aftermarket clutch it probably could handle 350 lb/ft just my opinion:)
THIS GUY GETS IT. I also believe that adding a beefier clutch disk and pressure plate could possibly (POSSIBLY!!) be all that's needed to handle the increased torque. This is what is done on other vehicles that get chipped and suddenly have significantly more HP\torque than stock and need an aftermarket clutch upgrade.
Sponsored