Sponsored

Sliding in the wet. Jeep thing or better tires?

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
New JL owner here in the rainy Pacific NW. I've had a few "fishtail slides" when going around long corners on wet pavement. Disconcerting to say the least... I get the high center of gravity is at work here and I'm taking it easy in the rain. I've also been running in 4H which helps. I've turned my attention to the stock Bridgestone Dueler's... I'm curious to hear other owners rain tire recommendations. My Wrangler is a Sahara.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Im not so sure it’s the tires, might be the short wheel base with like you said higher center of gravity. I recently had it happen in my Jeep with nitro ridge grapplers (that have roughly 2000 miles on them)on a 90 degree turn while I wasn’t even on the gas. I don’t think I was going any faster than I have recently in rain with my car or the ram 1500 with mud tires that I traded in on the Jeep.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
I’ve never fishtailed in the Jeep with the tires it came with (Dueler A/T’s). Will see now that I have M/T’s on it. I’m also pretty light on the throttle in the wet. This is my 5th RWD and growing up in Chicago driving a Crown Vic, you learn what not to do, lol.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’ve never fishtailed in the Jeep with the tires it came with (Dueler A/T’s). Will see now that I have M/T’s on it. I’m also pretty light on the throttle in the wet. This is my 5th RWD and growing up in Chicago driving a Crown Vic, you learn what not to do, lol.
This is far from my first rodeo in a rear wheel drive vehicle and I wasn’t even on the gas when this happened. I will say it wasn’t so much a fishtail as much as it seemed like the whole vehicle slid, but like I said I wasn’t going any faster than I did in other rwd vehicles and one was a truck with dedicated mud tires.

offrampclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
New JL owner here in the rainy Pacific NW. I've had a few "fishtail slides" when going around long corners on wet pavement. Disconcerting to say the least... I get the high center of gravity is at work here and I'm taking it easy in the rain. I've also been running in 4H which helps. I've turned my attention to the stock Bridgestone Dueler's... I'm curious to hear other owners rain tire recommendations. My Wrangler is a Sahara.

Thanks in advance.
That's essentially all there is to it. It's a tall vehicle with RWD. It may occasionally slip in the rain. Different tires aren't going to help. How many miles do you have on them? Brand new tires aren't quite broken in, and I've noticed traction on 30,000+ miles starts to get a tiny bit sketchy. But just take it easy on the throttle and learn where that slipping point is.

It's happened to me in my current JL with the Bridgestone A/Ts, my old TJ with a variety of tires, and one pants-shitting moment, years ago, in an XJ with BFGoodrich KO's. I wouldn't recommend using 4H in the rain, but some people say it won't cause any wear and tear, so to each their own on that.

Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
What tire pressure are you running?

marek

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Wrangler Moab 03 Mercedes SL 500
From my understanding, I also think don’t use 4H in the rain. 4H Auto by all means, but not 4H. Curious what other more experienced 4WD members think.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
You might let a bit of that pressure out and see if it helps. OR you could learn to drift.

Benagi

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
From my understanding, I also think don’t use 4H in the rain. 4H Auto by all means, but not 4H. Curious what other more experienced 4WD members think.
I don’t think our sport has 4h auto. Can we drive it in 4h on wet roads?

Sponsored

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t and 4h only helps with acceleration not braking and turning it might help a little just because there would be understeer but try lowering your air pressure first happy jeeping:like:

marek

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Wrangler Moab 03 Mercedes SL 500
I don’t think 4H Part time at higher speeds is helping stability at all. Especially going through the curves.

OP
OP
MrBell

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
I lowered the pressure down on my tires to 35. This has made a significant difference on wet roads. My Wrangler feels much more planted and stable on corners. I did not "fish-tale" once today. I don't feel the need to put it in 4H now. It is also much more comfortable on the crappy Seattle roads.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Psi makes a HUGE difference on and offroad glad it helped:like:

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
I'm running 38psi.
Run the pressure down to about 34 & remember short wheel base turn on a dime. Slow down your not in a race. Just the thoughts of a oldtimer.
Sponsored