Sponsored

sound/volume change when removing hard top?

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
tried searching the forums but couldn't find others mentioning this. but... noticed today that the volume changes and the speaker output shifts when unplugging the hard top.

I assume that was designed in so that the sound would work better topless as compared to top on. I never noticed that directly until was removing the hardtop while listening to music in the jeep. It was specifically when unplugging the hardtop wire harness in the back. Anyone else notice this, or know if there are settings to adjust sound when top is on/off?

Thanks!
Sponsored

hschro47

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Theres a speed adjusted volume setting but that only matters when you're driving and theres a loudness setting but I dont know/doubt if thats linked to removing the hardtop at all. It might also depend on what head unit you have. It might just sound better because its louder. The speakers are only so good. Easy way to check would be look at those settings before disconnecting the hard top. Then looking at them again after disconnecting it.

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
it might be tied to that loudness setting. I noticed this when the radio was playing with the hardtop still on, and as I unplugged the back wire harness, the sound changed (seemed like less bass/more highs, and a shift to more front speakers). then plugged it back in and sound changed back, and could switch back and forth by plugging/unplugging that harness, all with the hardtop on. I'll have to check the audio settings before and after the hardtop is on/off.
thanks!

hschro47

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
it might be tied to that loudness setting. I noticed this when the radio was playing with the hardtop still on, and as I unplugged the back wire harness, the sound changed (seemed like less bass/more highs, and a shift to more front speakers). then plugged it back in and sound changed back, and could switch back and forth by plugging/unplugging that harness, all with the hardtop on. I'll have to check the audio settings before and after the hardtop is on/off.
thanks!
No problem let me know if that shows anything and what head unit you have. I'm interested in this now. I don't have stock speakers so I can't check myself. Another way to test it would be to simply play with the loudness and eq setting to see if you could match what you think it sounds like with the top unplugged. It's not impossible that the settings change but I'd be surprised if jeep did this.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@redelses " some color commentary on sound that isn't related to your hard top's on/off state I believe. I think this applies to Apple and Android phones connected to the rig, certainly the former.

You have two different sound level modes. I'll call the first, "the radio, and all other sound making things," and the second I'll call "Siri." You must, to the best I can determine BE in that the mode you want to set the volume for to in fact set that mode's volume.

The Jeep Informant on Youtube had a video that covered this if your curious--I could try to find it--much again is I suspect this having little to do with your original question about hard top on/off states and volume levels.

: - )

Sponsored

hschro47

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@redelses " some color commentary on sound that isn't related to your hard top's on/off state I believe. I think this applies to Apple and Android phones connected to the rig, certainly the former.

You have two different sound level modes. I'll call the first, "the radio, and all other sound making things," and the second I'll call "Siri." You must, to the best I can determine BE in that the mode you want to set the volume for to in fact set that mode's volume.

The Jeep Informant on Youtube had a video that covered this if your curious--I could try to find it--much again is I suspect this having little to do with your original question about hard top on/off states and volume levels.

: - )
They're referring to the two different sounds modes. The first being the radio and other media. The second being texts/phone calls and such assuming you have a phone connected. You have to be in the phone mode to adjust the phone/text volume and same with the radio. That's all that's referring to from what I can tell but it is an interesting thing that the radio can distinguish and prioritize the modes.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
They're referring to the two different sounds modes. The first being the radio and other media. The second being texts/phone calls and such assuming you have a phone connected. You have to be in the phone mode to adjust the phone/text volume and same with the radio. That's all that's referring to from what I can tell but it is an interesting thing that the radio can distinguish and prioritize the modes.
Thanks...I found that like being on a call, as you're suggesting, simply hitting the "Siri" button on the rig and talking with Siri also gets you into that "other media" mode as you describe it.

I think... ; - )

Papi4baby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I remember on my JK there was mentioned of this feature when they went with the new Alpine system in 2015.

Yes the system would adjust when the hard top plug changes state.

Watch this video, about half way they mentioned about the system having different tuning with top on/off.

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
thanks for sharing that! looks like they do have that different tuning depending on hard top on/off. I don't see a change in settings between the two, but there must be some changes in the system power delivery that changes. I haven't seen a video or info like this on the JL, but will assume that it's the same setup. thanks again!

I remember on my JK there was mentioned of this feature when they went with the new Alpine system in 2015.

Yes the system would adjust when the hard top plug changes state.

Watch this video, about half way they mentioned about the system having different tuning with top on/off.

Sponsored