Sponsored

Just got my snow tires in and have a couple questions

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 2016 Toyota Venza, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 1972 Jeep CJ5
Just got my snow tires on, (just in time for the first day of snow here) and the stock rims are now officially winter only rims. New rims coming for summer, so a few questions-

• What tire and what size are you running on your stock, unlifted JL Sport Manual?
  • How is performance?
  • What would you recommend for someone who daily's their jeep 75% of the time and ends up off road 25% of the time in usually mud?

Jeep Wrangler JL Just got my snow tires in and have a couple questions {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL Just got my snow tires in and have a couple questions {filename}

Sponsored

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I currently run Good Year 315/70R17 Duratracs all year. They are pretty good in the snow but feedback is a bit rough as they wear due to soft compound rubber. Off road they perform well but I light wheel the Jeep. Cost is brutal ($300) a tire and may explore Falken Wildpeak AT3 this go around. Price is very reasonable and I have 2 co workers running them that love the tires. Only drawback is, there mounted on a Sierra & RAM and I don’t know if weight would play a huge factor in traction. I assume it does but not certain. Here is my current rig!

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
My stock KO2s are rated M+S (have the snowflake symbol) so no need for winter tires.

In my experience the KO2 is adequate in snow and ice. They certainly won’t replace a dedicated winter tire for traction and safety. I run my KO2s year round up here in Canada and have never had a problem but I know with winters the Jeep would be even better in the snow.

Sponsored

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
My stock KO2s are rated M+S (have the snowflake symbol) so no need for winter tires.

Same here ...
With the KO's I always figured the thousand spent on winter tires and wheels was better spent somewhere else.
But ...
I don't live in Canada either.

And why not get a larger size snow tire if you do live up north?

Loss in power won't matter and an extra inch of clearance might come in handy? (or so I've been told :surprised:)

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm running WALMART "THUNDERER TRAC GRIPS" M/T and they're great(LT285/75Rx16)-$125/ea"-

I've always used GOODYEAR/BFG and HANKOOK, but wanted to try these cause they were advertised in FACEBOOK--SUPER !

W.E.

JIMBO

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My KO2's are really shitty on wet roads. Reviews say they are just ok in snow. I may switch to Falkens if I go up to 315. If I stay at 33 I will look at Cooper AT3 4S. Supposed to be really good wet and snow too.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Snow tires are not just about the thread pattern. The rubber they use heats up easier so they stick to the road better on cold weather, but wont last much if used in hot weather. KO2s do well in snow but would never do as well as a snow tire.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickyrobert

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, their rated for it, doesn't mean they'll do as well in it. These toyos are beasts in the snow, it feels unstoppable.

OP
OP
rickyrobert

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I currently run Good Year 315/70R17 Duratracs all year. They are pretty good in the snow but feedback is a bit rough as they wear due to soft compound rubber. Off road they perform well but I light wheel the Jeep. Cost is brutal ($300) a tire and may explore Falken Wildpeak AT3 this go around. Price is very reasonable and I have 2 co workers running them that love the tires. Only drawback is, there mounted on a Sierra & RAM and I don’t know if weight would play a huge factor in traction. I assume it does but not certain. Here is my current rig!

They do seem expensive, but I'm willing to pay for quality. Now paying for something that isn't quality would bug me. I've heard good things about the Falkens. I may go that route. They'd be purely summer tires however, I believe in always having dedicated snows.

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had no issues with the KO2s in the snow and ice here in AK. We also have the Falkens on our Grand Cherokee, and they are great, too. On our third winter with them. Not sure if one is better than the other, but I’m happy with both.

OP
OP
rickyrobert

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve had no issues with the KO2s in the snow and ice here in AK. We also have the Falkens on our Grand Cherokee, and they are great, too. On our third winter with them. Not sure if one is better than the other, but I’m happy with both.

This is tempting me into finding a set of rubi take offs...

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
I notice that your snows are 265/70/17 vs the stock 245/75/17. Any issues with the speedo/traction control with the difference in size? How’s it run?
Sponsored