Sponsored

Update: 2018-2019 JL Wrangler Timeline Schedule (2DR JL & 2.0L Delay, Powertop & Diesel Dates, Etc)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I wonder how "heavily discounted" that JK will really be.. considering it is outdated in every possible way.
"IF" Heavily Discounted JKs are offered at production end, then you can reasonably expect Trade In values of JKs, especially 2doors, to drop accordingly.
Considering how insanely overpriced the JK is right now, I bet they'll still be pricy with said discount. A guy on another thread showed a 4-door Sport with a soft-top for $35k and the MSRP on it was $37, the same price as a fairly-equipped Rubicon from just a couple years ago.

They will milk the JK as long as they can. And it'll work.
Sponsored

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal

Is there actually a split in the 2.0L implementations between N.Am. and export with the export market only getting ESS and not BSG or is that a typo?

IMG_0988.jpg
I confused by this as well. Can someone help explain? I thought the BSG is what allowed the ESS to work.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Interesting timeline, effectively they pushed my decision to August of 2018 as I'm waiting to see what the Diesel specs are. I might as well just wait for the 2019's to come out.
Ditto. The diesel is what I'm waiting on...if it's going to be that late...might wait a bit more and look at the JTs...

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The 11/13 "launch date" per the chart is a production launch, not the "press" launch in LA. So are you comparing apples to oranges here?
No, I'm comparing the logical launch date to an illogical one, and trusting FCA to do what they've always done. Also the Admin called Oct 30th a launch date, and I think he's right about that intentionally or not, and the graphic is just a representation of fluid information.

The official press launch of the JK in the past has been in the fall, after vehicles were delivered to customers in summer, so Press launch vs reveal/order/production/delivery means very little based on history.

Last year, order banks opened August 8th (late for a change) production Sept 19th, and yet the official Press release was Sept 1st, which was the same for the 2016 Wrangler despite order banks opening up July 9th that year... wanna guess when the Press Launch was for the previous 3 years despite earlier and earlier order/delivery dates? 2012 Sept 1 was the offiial press date, although they had a release Aug 21, but order banks opened June 6th. So that 'press launch' date means very little.

SEMA makes sense, the previous reveal date @ LA , long after Thanksgiving was a ridiculous miss from a marketing perspective, and a non-event in between makes even less sense.

You can put you money on a November reveal, I'm still going with SEMA as the latest date for a reveal to folks like 4Wheeler, and enthusiasts, Novembers is for the same folks who waited until Sept 1st.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I hope that is true I think Chuck H above is correct in that the Admin meant the production launch and not press :(
I don't mean Press, I mean reveal. No one cares when the Press catches up with the rest of us.

To see this clearly illustrated, just check Milous' previous threads every year with the order/production/press dates or just go to FCA's PR website;

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-wrangler-information-thread-101089.html

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/2017-wrangler-jk-information-thread-95956.html

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsroom.do?id=40&mid=52

We might get a reveal before SEMA, but that Oct 30 date just adds to that being a big reveal.

Sponsored

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I don't mean Press, I mean reveal. No one cares when the Press catches up with the rest of us.

To see this clearly illustrated, just check Milous' previous threads every year with the order/production/press dates or just go to FCA's PR website;

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-wrangler-information-thread-101089.html

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/2017-wrangler-jk-information-thread-95956.html

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsroom.do?id=40&mid=52
I hope you are right, the sooner we see this thing and learn all there is to know, the better. I just want to try to figure out my path forward, as my JK has more miles on it than any other jeep (or other car for that matter) I have ever owned, and repair costs are starting to mount up, so I want to figure out what the hell I am going to do. A wrangler is the ultimate answer, just a matter of which one.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I confused by this as well. Can someone help explain? I thought the BSG is what allowed the ESS to work.
No they are indepenant of each other, but not mutually exclusive.

You can have ESS without BSG and instead with just a strengthened battery and starter, and a few other minor tweaks, they already have it on the Euro diesel Wrangler, and a few others. However if you want a smoother and more efficient experience, then adding a BSG makes it more efficient, helps overcome inertia for a possibly laggy turbo, and smooth out demands in town, while it also can provide support for other systems (depends on the level of implementation). With BSG it still has ESS it's just seen as lower on the qualification list and usually ESS is thrown in as a feature subset of the BSG. But you can also have ESS with a different kind of mild-hybrid like the one I want to see in the Wrangler...

Personally, I'm hoping the October 2018 pentastar 3.6L w/ BSG is a n in-line transmission implementation and not a less efficient BSG.

The ZF8 can add the mild hybrid features of a BSG, but within the footprint of the Transmission, thus freeing up space within the engine bay, and not using belt which are more susceptible belt wear to coldweather slippage, and is less efficient.

https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/.../cars/cars_8_speed_hybrid_transmissions.shtml

IMG_0858.jpg

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Ooh... That bad boy behind a small diesel...

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
No they are indepenant of each other, but not mutually exclusive.

You can have ESS without BSG and instead with just a strengthened battery and starter, and a few other minor tweaks, they already have it on the Euro diesel Wrangler, and a few others. However if you want a smoother and more efficient experience, then adding a BSG makes it more efficient, helps overcome inertia for a possibly laggy turbo, and smooth out demands in town, while it also can provide support for other systems (depends on the level of implementation). With BSG it still has ESS it's just seen as lower on the qualification list and usually ESS is thrown in as a feature subset of the BSG. But you can also have ESS with a different kind of mild-hybrid like the one I want to see in the Wrangler...

Personally, I'm hoping the October 2018 pentastar 3.6L w/ BSG is a n in-line transmission implementation and not a less efficient BSG.

The ZF8 can add the mild hybrid features of a BSG, but within the footprint of the Transmission, thus freeing up space within the engine bay, and not using belt which are more susceptible belt wear to coldweather slippage, and is less efficient.

https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/.../cars/cars_8_speed_hybrid_transmissions.shtml

IMG_0858.jpg
So for October 29th 2018- it says 3.6 with BSG..I thought only the 2.0 turbo was getting bsg..So 3.6 normally aspirated is getting bsg as well?

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So does this confirm that the V6 will come standard with the manual or am I reading this wrong? If so that is very good news.
If the JL ghost orders dealers placed at the meeting were reflective of what we'll see once JL order banks open, then yes.

Appears so.

Is "Launch Date" paper launch or actual deliveries to dealers / customers?
Where I've used "launch date" I'm referring to production launch date (Job 1).

So in January, is the 2.0L 4 door for export only?
Appears so, and it is the 2.0 ESS (versus 2.0 BSG).

Is there actually a split in the 2.0L implementations between N.Am. and export with the export market only getting ESS and not BSG or is that a typo?

IMG_0988.jpg
Not a typo, at least not on our part. Unless FCA has it incorrectly the 2.0L ESS and 2.0 BSG are distinct and have different production milestones as noted in the chart.

Same for the 3.6L ESS and 3.6L BSG distinction, which suggests an updated 3.6L to what FCA considers "mild hybrid" for the 2019 JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

There is no mention of the 2.2 diesel for export in the timeline (except in the nota). Have you more info about this engine?
Yes, didn't mean to leave that off the chart. It should have been under April 16, 2018. That's the current Job 1 date for LHD Export gas and diesel JL/JLUs, including the 2.2 diesel.

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd
Today, we're sharing a major update on the 2018-19 JL/JLU Wrangler timeline along with some interesting notes. The dates listed are straight from FCA but I'm going to emphasize that a few of the items below required interpretation (and assumptions) based on the info and materials presented. By and large however, what you see here is what is currently planned by corporate.

Please note that as of last week FCA is determining the feasibility of pulling forward the 11/13/17 launch date ahead by two weeks to 10/30/17. If this happens the other dates will be impacted as well.

As always, events further out in time are more likely to change. I would guess the 3.0L diesel date will be pushed ahead in time from what is shown in this chart, but that remains to be seen.

* The following chart is not official and has been created by JLWF to illustrate our info.

JL-Wrangler-Timeline-by-JLWranglerForums-small.jpg

The timing of the 3.6L ESS and 2.0L BSG seems to align with the information we posted a few days prior regarding the JL's entry engine. I've copied it here for reference:

Judging by the info we have, the 3.6L manual will be the entry level engine/transmission. If you are unfamiliar with the current JK packagaging here is an illustration:

01.jpg

Dealers were allowed to place JL ghost orders (no pricing) at the FCA dealer meeting we reported. Assuming what FCA previewed reflects the final packaging, it showed:
  • 3.6L manual will be the $0 cost entry configuration (i.e. 23G).
  • 2.0L (auto only) will be the 24G upcharge. On the JK, the 24G simply adds auto for $1400. Remains to be seen what a new engine/auto will add here.
  • 3.6L auto will be a clickable option on all trims and door configurations, like adding a tech group or hard top.

Has it been confirmed that the 3.0 diesel is not for export? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to limit the euro market for instance where the bulk of diesels are sold, with a 2.2 diesel considering that even the JK CRD was a 2.8...

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Has it been confirmed that the 3.0 diesel is not for export? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to limit the euro market for instance where the bulk of diesels are sold, with a 2.2 diesel considering that even the JK CRD was a 2.8...
I do not see anything that indicates the 3.0 diesel will be exported. All instances specifically reference North America. The info we have is up until very early 2019 so it's possible there are plans beyond that.

Taimaishu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
HMMmmm... that date sounds familiar... wonder what major event is going on October 30th that they could possibly launch at... :whatsgoingon:

Oh yeah, SEMA ! :idea:

Well that's a hell of a lot smarter than LA. :like:

Revealing before US Thanksgiving instead of after also allows for all that prime advertising real estate to promote the Wrangler.
It'd be cool if they could have the Job 1 plant event match up with SEMA, with some kind of joint reveal. I'm sure they would love to have an unveiled JL at Toledo North to commemorate it.

Also thank u as always Admin/JLWF for this great info!

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
So, if I'm reading this correctly, those of us in the U.S. and want at 4DR with the 3.6 will have it built no-later than early January? That sounds really really good (for some of us)!

Will I be able to drive my JLU in late Jan!? :)
Sponsored

Last edited: