Not open for further replies.

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
What are the performance benefits of adding the Rugged Ridge CAI to the JL?
Sponsored

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Way more to it than that. Every single electrical connection needs to be waterproof. Probably need to relocate a good portion of the electronics. Spark plugs need to be sealed. Most vehicles that are prepped for deep water have most of the electronics removed.
If the stock jeep can already go through 19-30 inches of water, I wouldn't think the spark plugs would need to be resealed the caps should already prevent water from getting in the top of the plugs, & they already have a seal on their connection to the block. As far as waterproof connections, the only parts that would need be waterproofed are the end leads such as the ECU, Fuse box, and any other major electronic components, still don't think the JL is as water handicapped as people make it out to be, because of its technology. Look at the new land rover Defender and its stock snorkel and water fording abilities and it has way more technology.

I highly doubt that a JL is that different from a square body burbon that turned U-Boat in "Dantes Peak"

21783-74ac3ddf18ccdffd188b2acc2ab1dda2.jpg

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If the stock jeep can already go through 19-30 inches of water, I wouldn't think the spark plugs would need to be resealed the caps should already prevent water from getting in the top of the plugs, & they already have a seal on their connection to the block. As far as waterproof connections, the only parts that would need be waterproofed are the end leads such as the ECU, Fuse box, and any other major electronic components, still don't think the JL is as water handicapped as people make it out to be, because of its technology. Look at the new land rover Defender and its stock snorkel and water fording abilities and it has way more technology.

I highly doubt that a JL is that different from a square body burbon that turned U-Boat in "Dantes Peak"

21783-74ac3ddf18ccdffd188b2acc2ab1dda2.jpg
Lol. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.
I won't try it, but there are several here on the forum that have gotten pretty deep and their Jeeps seemed to do fine. When mine had only 800 miles on it, I got into a muddy water hole that dipped the headlights under water, and went right up to the lip of the hood. I don't know how much of the muddy water that dried up in the engine compartment was splash or submersion, but it was enough that I had to clean it later. I VERY quickly slammed it into reverse and backed out. It did not ingest any of it into the air box or front diff, but there were some electronic connections that I'm certain had to be submerged for maybe a second or so.

I was ticked at myself because I know the trails (Badlands in Attica, IN) very well and was surprised by the depth of that one. The incident also answered the question about the effectiveness of moving the location of reverse to the top left instead of the bottom right in the shift pattern. (Thank you Mark Allen!) I would never have been able to get into reverse and out of that whole as quickly with my JK.

Anyway, that's the only experience I hope to have in either of my Jeeps that gets near or over the 30" fording depth. It also isn't the desired circumstance, anyway, as I'd prefer to do a planned crossing where I can keep a steady speed and a good bow wave with the engine and intake riding in the air pocket.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I won't try it, but there are several here on the forum that have gotten pretty deep and their Jeeps seemed to do fine. When mine had only 800 miles on it, I got into a muddy water hole that dipped the headlights under water, and went right up to the lip of the hood. I don't know how much of the muddy water that dried up in the engine compartment was splash or submersion, but it was enough that I had to clean it later. I VERY quickly slammed it into reverse and backed out. It did not ingest any of it into the air box or front diff, but there were some electronic connections that I'm certain had to be submerged for maybe a second or so.

I was ticked at myself because I know the trails (Badlands in Attica, IN) very well and was surprised by the depth of that one. The incident also answered the question about the effectiveness of moving the location of reverse to the top left instead of the bottom right in the shift pattern. (Thank you Mark Allen!) I would never have been able to get into reverse and out of that whole as quickly with my JK.

Anyway, that's the only experience I hope to have in either of my Jeeps that gets near or over the 30" fording depth. It also isn't the desired circumstance, anyway, as I'd prefer to do a planned crossing where I can keep a steady speed and a good bow wave with the engine and intake riding in the air pocket.
Oh I totally agree that the snorkel may be enough to get you out of a pickle, but going full on submerged for extended periods of time is going to reveal just how much work it takes to build a true water-fording vehicle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will add this once again...The stock air box location and design is pretty darned good, as-is.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I totally agree that the snorkel may be enough to get you out of a pickle, but going full on submerged for extended periods of time is going to reveal just how much work it takes to build a true water-fording vehicle.
Yeah, I'm no submariner. For me, it would be exactly as you say. It would be to extend the margin of safety or error.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
The word "Snorkle" always brings up images of going under water. I am pretty sure i wont be submerging my JL for many reasons. However the "Snorkle" as a CAI location seems to have some advantages when on a very dusty trail stuck behind others on the trail. Dirt seems to fly in the engine compartment pretty easily....the stock intake seems to breath in its fair share of dirt....so my question to the group is if any one out there is just using it as a CAI location and how effective it has been?

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the whole idea behind these things was to get cleaner air when on dirty, dusty roads. Especially when in a long group of jeeps and everyone is kicking up clouds of dirt and dust. I understand the added benefit of the higher location as it relates to water crossing...but that's just a benefit and not really intended to be submerged. Also, I like the Hauk design.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I thought the whole idea behind these things was to get cleaner air when on dirty, dusty roads. Especially when in a long group of jeeps and everyone is kicking up clouds of dirt and dust. I understand the added benefit of the higher location as it relates to water crossing...but that's just a benefit and not really intended to be submerged. Also, I like the Hauk design.
I don't really buy that the air is that much cleaner 3 feet higher to justify one.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I will add this once again...The stock air box location and design is pretty darned good, as-is.
Truth...I have pushed a bow wave in a bone stock JLUR right up to the top of the hood over multiple river crossings with precisely zero problems of any kind. The Jeep boys did a helluva job protecting all the electronics and the air intake on the thing if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.