Sponsored

CEL due to pressing gas and brake pedal?

Jtiffany78

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon ~ White
Occupation
AF Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
So a guy who’s been having a lot of grief with his new JL posted this:

“Spoke to the owner of Freeland Jeep and he was very apologetic about my car not being looked at for an entire day even with an appointment. He said the cause of the check engine light had to do with something if the gas and brake are pressed at the same time (which of course I never did). They cleared the light and had a tech drive it 40 miles without it coming back on. While on the phone he asked if his head mechanic could drive it 60 miles round trip to his home and back (overnight) to further ensure the light wouldn't come on. I really didn't want my brand new Jeep at some strangers home overnight, but at this point I just wanted it fixed!”

It doesn’t make sense to me that pressing the brake and gas pedal simultaneously would cause a CEL. I would think that there would be plenty of reasons off road to hold the brake and press the gas (prevent rolling backwards on a steep incline?) Can anybody confirm and/or explain this?

A lot of dealerships seem to be confused with this new fangled contraption but I don’t know.
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Have we figured out how yet how to get the EVIC to spit out the Check Engine Light and other dashboard light codes??? In most FCA vehicles you used to be able to jiggle the ignition on/off a few times.

If you want the community to help you we really need the codes.

OP
OP
Jtiffany78

Jtiffany78

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon ~ White
Occupation
AF Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Have we figured out how yet how to get the EVIC to spit out the Check Engine Light and other dashboard light codes??? In most FCA vehicles you used to be able to jiggle the ignition on/off a few times.

If you want the community to help you we really need the codes.
That’s a good point. I have no idea what the codes were. The dealer just told the OP that pressing the gas and brake together caused the CEL. That just doesn’t make sense to me‍

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
That’s a good point. I have no idea what the codes were. The dealer just told the OP that pressing the gas and brake together caused the CEL. That just doesn’t make sense to me‍
The dealership lied.

Craigb

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
With fly by wire throttle, for safety reasons if the control modules see brake pedal pressure and throttle pressure at the same time it will default to the brakes and set a code. Just in case there is a malfunction

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jtiffany78

Jtiffany78

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon ~ White
Occupation
AF Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
With fly by wire throttle, for safety reasons if the control modules see brake pedal pressure and throttle pressure at the same time it will default to the brakes and set a code. Just in case there is a malfunction
That makes sense to me for any vehicle that wouldn’t go off road but I would think that this purpose built vehicle would expect to use both...no?

Craigb

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I would ask your dealer to be sure about it. I have not been a Chrysler mechanic in many years. But I can tell you a Subaru will do this for sure.

OP
OP
Jtiffany78

Jtiffany78

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon ~ White
Occupation
AF Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Could you imagine if Camaros or Mustangs did this? Every car would have the CEL set! :)
Right?! Seems like a crazy statement for a dealer to say :facepalm:
Sponsored