Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics?

mkunkel20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2017 JKU Sahara
This has the 3.6L engine, manual transmission and stock 3.45 gear ratio. I tow at 60 mph in 4th gear and downshift as needed. Mileage varies but averages 15-16 while towing.

That is pretty good. I've got an 18 JLU Sport 8 speed auto with 34's and stock gears get 21-22 mpg on the hwy. Hoping to get a camper and with it plus the gear stay well under 3,000lbs for a cross country road trip.
Sponsored

Foster_WV

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ & JLU
Last edited:

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rescue Green, 2019 JLUR
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
I am towing a T@B 400 Boondock with my JLUR. Towed it through the mountains of Colorado and crosswinds of New Mexico, and down to construction zones and heavy city traffic of Texas. Just had a "SmartWeigh" at Escapees here in Texas, where I found out from a professional in person, that I am within the Jeeps weight limits! :whew: I had been worried. All of the naysayers, and "I hope my family is not around when that thing wrecks" can chill. For those of you concerned for my safety, thank you. I drive "Dry" except for propane, and don't get faster than 62 mph. So, carefully loaded, you can do it and still be legal and safe. Let me state that I *could* drive faster, I choose not to for safety. I am careful on keeping my loads (Jeep and trailer) evenly distributed, and I drive cautiously. Believe me, there are INSANE drivers out there NOT towing that put your family in much more danger. I am not running a WDH or tongue anti-sway, but my Rubicon has "Towing/Anti-Sway" from the factory.

IMG_20191104_160908.jpg

Sponsored

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
We figured out our problem! We have 3:21 gear ratio, which makes our max tow capacity 2000 lbs :( We will have it re geared in the next couple weeks to fix that problem! What would you guys suggest? We are staying stock with our wheels! We just need it to be able to pull it through the mountains ;) We had a 2500 lb pop up, which we took to the Smokies and the beach before we realized the gear situation and it didn't even break a sweat so I am hoping that changing the gears will give us what we need!
I have 4.10s in my stock Rubi. Towing the max, air-con running, hills, etc, I get about 14.9 mpg unless I hit a strong headwind. I drive about 60 mph, and keep my dash display on Transmission Temperature. If I see it hitting 210, I'm looking for a safe pullover. I could go faster, but choose not too since I'm still new at the tow thing.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
I am towing a T@B 400 Boondock with my JLUR. Towed it through the mountains of Colorado and crosswinds of New Mexico, and down to construction zones and heavy city traffic of Texas. Just had a "SmartWeigh" at Escapees here in Texas, where I found out from a professional in person, that I am within the Jeeps weight limits! :whew: I had been worried. All of the naysayers, and "I hope my family is not around when that thing wrecks" can chill. For those of you concerned for my safety, thank you. I drive "Dry" except for propane, and don't get faster than 62 mph. So, carefully loaded, you can do it and still be legal and safe. Let me state that I *could* drive faster, I choose not to for safety. I am careful on keeping my loads (Jeep and trailer) evenly distributed, and I drive cautiously. Believe me, there are INSANE drivers out there NOT towing that put your family in much more danger. I am not running a WDH or tongue anti-sway, but my Rubicon has "Towing/Anti-Sway" from the factory.
Nifty. What model year is your trailer, and what was your measured tongue weight? The first year or two, the reported tongue weights were very high, before they moved some things around.

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 Door Sport S 2020 JT Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

IMG_20191104_160908.jpg

So you weighed each axle? I think the tongue weight dry is spec'ed at 372, a few pounds over the 350 lb limit. I would expect without any modifications, you would be okay otherwise as the Rubicon max GVWR is 5800 lbs.

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
Nifty. What model year is your trailer, and what was your measured tongue weight? The first year or two, the reported tongue weights were very high, before they moved some things around.
Trailer's a 2020, tongue weighed in at 420, within the "10%-15%" rule. Front lifts a little. Rear axle weighed w/o trailer = 2400 lbs, with = 3100 (right at the limit). I am no pro, and how something 'feels' is very subjective, but the steering and braking "feel" fine to me. Yes, I notice it's back there and I don't want to go too fast, but I safely avoided hitting a dog on Hwy 191 coming South of Moab.

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
So you weighed each axle? I think the tongue weight dry is spec'ed at 372, a few pounds over the 350 lb limit. I would expect without any modifications, you would be okay otherwise as the Rubicon max GVWR is 5800 lbs.
The SmartWeigh person weighed each tire, with and without trailer attached. Again, I am no pro, but the "Pro" said I was fine, just be careful on not adding any weight, especially to the Jeep's rear. I have some Air Lift bags I'm going to put in to level it out. Won't remove weight, but they were already weighed in the vehicle (just not installed). I do have Trailer brakes and a Prodigy Brake Controller.

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I am towing a T@B 400 Boondock with my JLUR. <sniped for brevity> I am not running a WDH or tongue anti-sway, but my Rubicon has "Towing/Anti-Sway" from the factory.
I would strongly recommend having a hitch shop strengthen your receiver. I have had mine upgraded to a Class IV. This will allow you to add a WD hitch (which creates too much fore/aft torque for the stock to handle.) This will get your rig level and put critical weight back onto the steering axle. You may not need sway control, but it doesn't add much cost and you will feel more secure in strong cross-wind conditions and when fast trucks overtake you on the highway. I use an Eaz-Lift hitch with the optional anti-sway bars.

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
I would strongly recommend having a hitch shop strengthen your receiver. I have had mine upgraded to a Class IV. This will allow you to add a WD hitch (which creates too much fore/aft torque for the stock to handle.) This will get your rig level and put critical weight back onto the steering axle. You may not need sway control, but it doesn't add much cost and you will feel more secure in strong cross-wind conditions and when fast trucks overtake you on the highway. I use an Eaz-Lift hitch with the optional anti-sway bars.
Thank you, I really want to do that - soon.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thank you, I really want to do that - soon.
I can PM you some photos of the hitch work if you like. I removed the stock muffler and put in a Flowmaster 40 (just behind the resonator) and a Flowmaster American Thunder axle back pipe. This made the hitch strengthening easier, added more ground clearance and sounds better.

Amazonica

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog & Punk'ncon Mom
I can PM you some photos of the hitch work if you like. I removed the stock muffler and put in a Flowmaster 40 (just behind the resonator) and a Flowmaster American Thunder axle back pipe. This made the hitch strengthening easier, added more ground clearance and sounds better.
Yes please! I just moved here and need to find a good welder/shop, but it would be good to know what to ask to have done. :)

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Here is mine. Airstream Bambi 16RB with a Blue Ox weight distribution hitch. GVWR of 3500# we tow it at around 3100#. Towed it from Phoenix to San Diego up a few 6% grades with no issues. Average 17.9 mpg on flat roads. Tows beautifully!
1103191737_HDR.jpg
Sponsored