Sponsored

JLRU Manual T Forced Induction Experience (ProCharger supercharger)

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I haven’t timed the 0-60 mph or 1/4 mile in the Jeep. I’ve meaning to do it so yesterday I got an app on my phone and decided to check it.
It didn’t go as expected :headbang:
I decided to engage 4x4 to avoid tire burning. Stepped on the gas and let go of the clutch. Took off like hell and redlined too quickly for my shifting. When the engine cut off I knew I had missed my timed run. Shifted to second and to my surprise it redlined again almost immediately. So shifted to third and lo behold back to redline immediately. That’s when I realized what was happening. Even though the car was accelerating, the engine was overpowering the clutch.:facepalm: That was yesterday and even today stinks inside.
That was all operator error.:angry: I will eventually need a stronger clutch, but for the time being just got to be conscious of the issue.
I’ll try again later this week but for sure it won’t be a good run until I master the matter. I won’t try 4x4 again, but still have to manage wheel spin. :whew:
Any of you guys running Auto Transmission have timed it? I would like a reference point.
On the good side the belt stayed in place. :like:
I did the same thing the first week I had a supercharger put in my old BMW.... it happens :)

Thanks again for all the updates.. it's almost impossible to find this kind of info anywhere else on the internet for the JL ProCharger kit...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Have you decided what clutch you are going to upgrade to? I’m thinking of going with the Edelbrock when it’s available and just doing the clutch at the same time.
I haven’t done any research yet on clutches for the JL. I hope there is something out there. I’ll post what I find, and if you find something, let me know..

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma, 1997 Tacoma, previous: 1978 Jeep CJ7, 1975 FJ-40, 2008 Audi RS4
Hey Torero - thanks for all this info. I'm looking at a manual Rubicon right now, and this is helpful. Best of luck with the new clutch!

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:whew::whew::punch:Still dealing with belt issue. It seems To me this is only an issue with the manual transmission. From what I’ve read the autos are dealing with tuning and shifting point issues. I don’t have tuning issues but I have “shifting” issues :swear: Easy driving no problem, but then why a SC:(?
If you recall my last attempt at running a 0-60 timed run I overpowered the clutch. In that case the clutch absorbed the extra power. So decided to attempt again a 0-60 in 2x4 and let the tires take the beating and do their best. So stepped on the gas while letting go of the clutch, rear end fishtailing and tires growling :rock: Red line comes too quick, :whew: left foot kick down the clutch, right foot snaps off the gas momentarily and right back to the floor, right hand pulls stick as fast as you pull from a burner :whew: Tires growl for a short burst and back to red line, repeat maneuvers to third but now is not so dramatic. :movember: My theory is now the belt is off, but I don’t know that at the time. Rpms keep climbing and the 60 mph mark comes, showing a disappointing 6.8 sec. speed at 70 mph, back off the gas because of speed limit. :swear: No interest in getting a ticket, and have made a lot of noise already :giggle: 1/4 mile comes and :angry: Ting ting ting look down and red flashing temp gauge. Pull over, steam all over. :headbang::angry: Call the tow truck. We are first name basis now :facepalm:
The poor time means to me that 3 gear was run with no SC input. The belt must have come off between 2 and 3. Is the tensioner being overpowered :idea:? That would be a plausible explanation. :whatsgoingon:
And now to get a new belt on. ( it’s on my speed dial on Amazon)
To get the new belt on is a 2 hour job and bloody knuckles.
Traveling overseas for two weeks, so the Jeep is seating waiting for me :punch:or ProCharger.
First reaction is to pull the SC off and toss it, but then I am not a quitter. Don’t know what to do. If I had the time, this could be entertaining. But I don’t. I’ll think about it. Any suggestions are welcome.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'd be interested to see a video of this happening, from under the hood. Mount a light and an old cell phone under the hood and try it again, see if it catches the whole thing in action via video.

Is the tensioner before or after the SC pulley in the rotation? That may explain how it could be overpowering it, like you said.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be interested to see a video of this happening, from under the hood. Mount a light and an old cell phone under the hood and try it again, see if it catches the whole thing in action via video.

Is the tensioner before or after the SC pulley in the rotation? That may explain how it could be overpowering it, like you said.
The tensioner is before the SC. The belt goes from the crank shaft pulley to the tensioner from there it goes thru two idle pulleys to the SC. Then another idle pulley To the AC, Alternator, water pump, and back to crank.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By the way. Interesting fact. In the old days you knew your belt was off because battery/ alternator light would come on immediately. Not in the JL. Belt is off, nothing happens. No warning until overheat. That’s a fact. I don’t understand why the battery light doesn’t come on. Not even steering feeling harder to turn, because the pump is electric and battery keeps running it.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The tensioner is before the SC. The belt goes from the crank shaft pulley to the tensioner from there it goes thru two idle pulleys to the SC. Then another idle pulley To the AC, Alternator, water pump, and back to crank.
So when the SC is at max load, it might be over-powering the tensioner's spring, making the entire belt loose enough to come off? Sounds like it might be happening. I wonder if the damn rev-hang these things have such an issue with is making it worse when you shift, so you're actually hitting a higher RPM than an auto would even though it's for a really short time period?

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you didn't have the most efficient launch with all the tire spinning, but I would think 6.8 sec 0-60 is close to what you're going to get...

Reviews of the RIPP from JK's say the 0-60 time dropped to 6.2 - 6.6 seconds (from the factor 8 - 8.4secs)... that's the previous GEN 3.6L running 8.5lbs of boost. With ProCharger running a little less boost (they say 7lbs), your time seems to be in line with what would be expected.

Of course, my estimations are coming from Googling, so take them with a grain of salt ;)

I'm curious how the 8-speed automatic would do with 2 additional gears and no clutch to deal with...

When you say Procharger has issues with the shift timing on automatics, do you have a link that describes the issue in more detail? I'd like to learn more.

I waited for my JL specifically for the 8 spd transmission... This is the first automatic transmission vehicle I have owned in 30 years, but I bought it with the intention of adding forced induction... I planned on having FI right away, but i've put it off until I can find a solid option. I was initially going with the PP turbo kit, but for now supercharging seems like the "safer" option.

Thanks again for all your feedback on the ProCharger kit. They should sponsor you for your service :)

:whew::whew::punch:Still dealing with belt issue. It seems To me this is only an issue with the manual transmission. From what I’ve read the autos are dealing with tuning and shifting point issues. I don’t have tuning issues but I have “shifting” issues :swear: Easy driving no problem, but then why a SC:(?
If you recall my last attempt at running a 0-60 timed run I overpowered the clutch. In that case the clutch absorbed the extra power. So decided to attempt again a 0-60 in 2x4 and let the tires take the beating and do their best. So stepped on the gas while letting go of the clutch, rear end fishtailing and tires growling :rock: Red line comes too quick, :whew: left foot kick down the clutch, right foot snaps off the gas momentarily and right back to the floor, right hand pulls stick as fast as you pull from a burner :whew: Tires growl for a short burst and back to red line, repeat maneuvers to third but now is not so dramatic. :movember: My theory is now the belt is off, but I don’t know that at the time. Rpms keep climbing and the 60 mph mark comes, showing a disappointing 6.8 sec. speed at 70 mph, back off the gas because of speed limit. :swear: No interest in getting a ticket, and have made a lot of noise already :giggle: 1/4 mile comes and :angry: Ting ting ting look down and red flashing temp gauge. Pull over, steam all over. :headbang::angry: Call the tow truck. We are first name basis now :facepalm:
The poor time means to me that 3 gear was run with no SC input. The belt must have come off between 2 and 3. Is the tensioner being overpowered :idea:? That would be a plausible explanation. :whatsgoingon:
And now to get a new belt on. ( it’s on my speed dial on Amazon)
To get the new belt on is a 2 hour job and bloody knuckles.
Traveling overseas for two weeks, so the Jeep is seating waiting for me :punch:or ProCharger.
First reaction is to pull the SC off and toss it, but then I am not a quitter. Don’t know what to do. If I had the time, this could be entertaining. But I don’t. I’ll think about it. Any suggestions are welcome.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma, 1997 Tacoma, previous: 1978 Jeep CJ7, 1975 FJ-40, 2008 Audi RS4
ShawnC wrote: "I waited for my JL specifically for the 8 spd transmission... This is the first automatic transmission vehicle I have owned in 30 years" - I'm considering the same move (its weird how hard it is to consider). Its been 36 years of driving without owning an auto, but this 8-speed is so good... PM me is you feel like sharing any thoughts or regrets about making the switch - I don't want to derail this thread. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you didn't have the most efficient launch with all the tire spinning, but I would think 6.8 sec 0-60 is close to what you're going to get...

Reviews of the RIPP from JK's say the 0-60 time dropped to 6.2 - 6.6 seconds (from the factor 8 - 8.4secs)... that's the previous GEN 3.6L running 8.5lbs of boost. With ProCharger running a little less boost (they say 7lbs), your time seems to be in line with what would be expected.

Of course, my estimations are coming from Googling, so take them with a grain of salt ;)

I'm curious how the 8-speed automatic would do with 2 additional gears and no clutch to deal with...

When you say Procharger has issues with the shift timing on automatics, do you have a link that describes the issue in more detail? I'd like to learn more.

I waited for my JL specifically for the 8 spd transmission... This is the first automatic transmission vehicle I have owned in 30 years, but I bought it with the intention of adding forced induction... I planned on having FI right away, but i've put it off until I can find a solid option. I was initially going with the PP turbo kit, but for now supercharging seems like the "safer" option.

Thanks again for all your feedback on the ProCharger kit. They should sponsor you for your service :)
I didn’t mean to say the Procharger specifically has issues with the shifting points in the Jeep. I’ve read here of tuning issues with RIP on Autos, and in general SCs. I haven’t hear anything from other Jeopardy tuning Procharger, which is disappointing. I can only assume that their silence means nothing to report either positive or negative.

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok... good to know...

Thanks!

I didn’t mean to say the Procharger specifically has issues with the shifting points in the Jeep. I’ve read here of tuning issues with RIP on Autos, and in general SCs. I haven’t hear anything from other Jeopardy tuning Procharger, which is disappointing. I can only assume that their silence means nothing to report either positive or negative.

Rtigert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I did the same thing the first week I had a supercharger put in my old BMW.... it happens :)

Thanks again for all the updates.. it's almost impossible to find this kind of info anywhere else on the internet for the JL ProCharger kit...
A little over 5 seconds 0-60, with 35’s and heavy KMC Machete Beadlocks, on an automatic JLR. O-110 in under 23 seconds (judging by the video). Even with a Tazer JL, speed is limited to 110mph.

Rtigert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR

A little over 5 seconds 0-60, with 35’s and heavy KMC Machete Beadlocks, on an automatic JLR. O-110 in under 23 seconds (judging by the video). Even with a Tazer JL, speed is limited to 110mph.

Rtigert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
So when the SC is at max load, it might be over-powering the tensioner's spring, making the entire belt loose enough to come off? Sounds like it might be happening. I wonder if the damn rev-hang these things have such an issue with is making it worse when you shift, so you're actually hitting a higher RPM than an auto would even though it's for a really short time period?
TCI makes a dampener to address this issue. It uses one way bearings to allow for spooling under acceleration but releases during shifts or deceleration. The issue is that under deceleration or shifts, the belt tries to slow as fast as the engine and thus flips because it can’t match the speed quickly enough.
Sponsored