Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Now that is real nightmare! let see huge turing radius uncomfortable seating no changes for about a bizzillion years. terrible ergonomics and a freaksih fan boy base> stop please stop.
wow calm down sir. I admire Toyota for their reliability, old interiors dont bother me much. I rather have old seating for a bizillion years than a car falling apart in the middle of nowhere. I bought a Wrangler for a reason instead of a Grand cherokee. I honestly think Toyota would do an amazing job with the Wrangler.

So far the Wrangler has been a reliable vehicle regardless of what people say, mostly because it uses proven tech, and it has to be. I am worried for these european mergers pushing things like the 2.0 turbo. As long as they keep offering the pentastar until the 2.0 proves to be reliable I am happy.
Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
In my view, the Jeep brand is made up of the Wrangler, and the Trailhawk version of the other Jeep cars.

The non Trailhawk models could be any brand. Only the styling make them a "Jeep".

So, the merged company, the owner of the Jeep brand, will continue to make Wranglers and Trailhawks.

We have learnt from history, if a company makex 2 cars, with different brand names but are otherwise the same, one or the other fails.

So it may be that the Jeep cars are reduced to only 2 trims each. Trailhawk and Limited.

SunStormJLU

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Jl Rubicon
Occupation
Electrican
Vehicle Showcase
True. The Wrangler JL is a really nice vehicle, but that could be simply because they had more $$$ to design it than they did before. The early welding issues due to bad quality control is typical of Italian engineering. The JL Wrangler performs incredible and it is a nice looking vehicle, that new 2.0L turbo engine has exceptional performance as well. But what about reliability? we don't truly know this yet, and only time will tell. We will see. Things didn't start very well with the steering issues, the bad welds, and small important internal components easily breaking (such as the track guides in the 2D seat).

Are the turbos going to start falling apart? is the new diesel going to crap out after 5 years? maybe, maybe not.
The diesel isn’t new they are using the same engine as the ram 1500 which has been around for 7 years and isn’t terrible the only downside will be all the epa congestion on the engine if they can figure out how to eliminate the issues with the exhaust on the deiesels it will be a fine

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

The diesel isn’t new they are using the same engine as the ram 1500 which has been around for 7 years and isn’t terrible the only downside will be all the epa congestion on the engine if they can figure out how to eliminate the issues with the exhaust on the deiesels it will be a fine
The welding, as pointed out a few times, had nothing to do with Italian engineering, and everything to do with a sub-contractor messing up some programming and failing to QC the frames before they shipped to FCA. The said supplier was American, BTW.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The diesel isn’t new they are using the same engine as the ram 1500 which has been around for 7 years
It is new, this is not the same motor as the past 7 years.

VM Motori (FCA) has said that 80% of the engine’s content is all new.

Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
My personal hope is that Pugeot brings the beautiful 508 GT wagon to the us, but dips into their new part availability and stuffs an Alfa V6 into it instead of the 1.6 4 cyl. :)

Globalization is funny, and ultimately demonstrates that brand names really don't mean anything any more. Marchionne's goal for years was an FCA merger, and the PSA tie-up makes sense to me in that they're both a bit more independent in spirit than the likes of GM/Ford/VW... though there will definitely be some redundancies among competing vehicles in the same class/market but Jeep is certainly safe there. If this didn't work out the next (and last) likely candidate was Geely (current Chinese home of Volvo and Lotus), which I imagine would create a much stronger negative reaction on these shores.

Plus, it's not like it's the first time Jeep's felt some French influence.

1505071_253975411428431_267951573_n.jpg
Isn't that what gave us the YJ?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
This is the same thing that is happening in my industry and it's pretty simple.

There are disruptive forces creating the need for non-linear investments in new technology.

Let's say that investment is $1 Billion (to make up a number). You can have 2 companies each invest $1 Billion ($2 billion total). Or you can have one company that has to invest $1 Billion. And maybe because of the variety of products and markets its $1.2 Billion. That's a lot less than $2 Billion. Simple math.

In addition, you get to streamline some corporate functions, take advantage of your scale on some supplier contracts, and maybe grow some markets based on the new footprint.

Both companies benefit. The reason why PSA stock is down is because they paid a premium for the FCA stock.

This will probably not have any effect on Jeep and Ram other to reinforce their importance as the geese squeezing out all the gold.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
More cost cutting here we come. The Ceo of PSA loves cost cutting. Being a 2019 rubicon owner. Having less than 4k miles on my car, having 2 dead batteries within 4 weeks of each other. This is not welcoming news. Jeep & dodge needs to be spun off with more reliable company.
I had similar thoughts, but feel it should be JEEP / RAM That spin off or break away however possible !

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I had similar thoughts, but feel it should be JEEP / RAM That spin off or break away however possible !
With the exception of EV, the automotive industry is very mature. Cost cutting, and maximizing the supply chain is the only real way to keep profits growing. It can be a positive, as easily as a negative. If Tesla survives, I’d not be surprised if more vertical supply lines make a return.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
With the exception of EV, the automotive industry is very mature. Cost cutting, and maximizing the supply chain is the only real way to keep profits growing. It can be a positive, as easily as a negative. If Tesla survives, I’d not be surprised if more vertical supply lines make a return.

:whatsgoingon: :whatsgoingon: :whatsgoingon: . . . :like: . . . :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: . . . what can I say :whatsgoingon: :ontheloo:, let me continue to think on it . . . nah.

Please Mr. Wolf your vast array of knowledge is too much for my pee-brain to handle . . . could you translate, for "the layman," so we can follow along with How your response relates to my Simple Opinion ? Thank you, in advance.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

:whatsgoingon: :whatsgoingon: :whatsgoingon: . . . :like: . . . :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: . . . what can I say :whatsgoingon: :ontheloo:, let me continue to think on it . . . nah.

Please Mr. Wolf your vast array of knowledge is too much for my pee-brain to handle . . . could you translate, for "the layman," so we can follow along with How your response relates to my Simple Opinion ? Thank you, in advance.
I am saying cost cutting is inevitable as a means towards increasing profits in a mature industry. While we may not like it, finding ways to cut costs and increase the efficiency of the supply chains is inevitable. If done well, you get improvements in production, with out loss of quality or output.

Tesla has a highly integrated, and vertical supply chain - they do a lot in house, and it makes for efficiencies. If they survive, they may help move a shift back to more in-house production. I’m not sure what you took umbrage at or with.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am saying cost cutting is inevitable as a means towards increasing profits in a mature industry. While we may not like it, finding ways to cut costs and increase the efficiency of the supply chains is inevitable. If done well, you get improvements in production, with out loss of quality or output.

Tesla has a highly integrated, and vertical supply chain - they do a lot in house, and it makes for efficiencies. If they survive, they may help move a shift back to more in-house production. I’m not sure what you took umbrage at or with.
MORE . . . ? ? ? . . . THIS TIME I'LL TONE IT DOWN, the question marks that is, ha ! You've merely restated your thoughts which, IMHO, still have nothing to do with my SIMPLE & UnderStated Opinion, that RAM & JEEP should "unit as one" !
Nothing more OR less to it, so . . . ! UMBRAGE ? REALLY ? Couldn't just use an "EVERYDAY" word like "Offensive" ? To which I would not take offense too . NOTHING you said was I offended by . . . just the "presentation of words" that I was Bemused by . Truth be told, I know what you've been chatting about, but have no "everyday" use for - follow ? Interesting to hear, but easily forgotten, because I am not in THAT Sphere . ;)

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

MORE . . . ? ? ? . . . THIS TIME I'LL TONE IT DOWN, the question marks that is, ha ! You've merely restated your thoughts which, IMHO, still have nothing to do with my SIMPLE & UnderStated Opinion, that RAM & JEEP should "unit as one" !
Nothing more OR less to it, so . . . ! UMBRAGE ? REALLY ? Couldn't just use an "EVERYDAY" word like "Offensive" ? To which I would not take offense too . NOTHING you said was I offended by . . . just the "presentation of words" that I was Bemused by . Truth be told, I know what you've been chatting about, but have no "everyday" use for - follow ? Interesting to hear, but easily forgotten, because I am not in THAT Sphere . ;)
I was responding to the implication that cost-cutting is inherently bad and your comment that somehow having Jeep and Ram as one brand would battle cost-cutting through the new organization. I frankly don't think Ram and Jeep are compatible brands. They have a bit of overlap, but not enough to make a Jeep Ram brand. Merging the two would undo all the work of separating Ram away from Dodge.

We will have to wait and see what the fall out of the merger will be.

Last edited:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I was responding to the implication that cost-cutting is inherently bad and your comment that somehow having Jeep and Ram as one brand would battle cost-cutting through the new organization. I frankly don't think Ram and Jeep are compatible brands. They have a bit of overlap, but not enough to make a Jeep Ram brand. Merging the two would undo all the work of separating Ram away from Dodge.

We will have to wait and see what the fall out of the merger will be.
I agree with your statement and would like to see someone purchase jeep and make it a separate entity. One that would address the issues at hand and get rid of the electronic mess that is supposedly what people want. What people?? Everyone I talk to hates the big brother does everything for you ie door open veh will not move,start stop, ESS, etc. Off road and want to open your door to back up and watch rocks,good luck. Waiting for some after market business to offer relief from all the electronic crap. Only need a good off road pages that work when we want it and a good navigation unit/blue tooth. Some smart guy or gal out there that redoes the computer and get rid of the one battery fiasco will make millions. Some operational items like electronic locks,auto windows etc are nice and welcome to some of us, but big brother needs to go.
Sponsored