Thoughts on buying a 20 Sport S or a 18 Sahara

Which one would you choose?

• Total voters

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
There is a local 2018 Jeep Sahara with all of the options I want and a lot more (except the Tow/Aux package which I can add later) vs building a Sport S options I want. The price difference is minimal. I am torn between having a '18 vs '20.

Disclosure: I currently have an 18 that was in a wreck that the shop has told me it has a good possibility of being totaled just from a visual inspection. The current 18 must have been born on the correct date, as we did not have 1 issue with any of the common complaint.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It depends what you want from your Jeep. I don't think the Sahara is worth it. I'd build the Sport S and modify it to my liking for wheeling instead of buying a Sahara, wait a minute, that's what I did.

Also keep in mind the tow package comes with a stiffer suspension from factory, so it isn't simply adding the hitch receiver later, yes you can do that and tow stuff (I did). But if you want to tow heavier stuff you might want to upgrade the suspension. Which is as easy as buying cheap rubicon takeoffs that had the tow package (which I did too).

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
Just determine what you want out of the Jeep. Do you want to modify a lot and build one up - then the Sport is for you. If you want more comfort and stuff in it that makes it more of a daily driver then go Sahara. Either on is the right answer - just depends on the question being asked. lol

I got a Sahara because I drive 20k miles a year and will only go light trails every once in a while. So the answer was Sahara for me.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
What are the pros of a Sahara vs. a loaded sport S? other than the full-time drive for slippery roads?

Larger wheels (not really a pro) on the Sahara and a few shiny details here and there. And a "Sahara" sticker.

If you are getting a brand new 2020 loaded Sport S vs. a 2018 Sahara with less options than you want, seems to me that getting the Sport is a no brainer. Get a decal sticker "Mojave" and put it on it, and when people ask, tell them it is a new special edition better than Sahara :CWL:

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you can add the tow aux later and no it isn't that terrible to do but if I had to do it all over again I would have just added the option...

So, if you're looking at getting that 18' Sahara or any model that doesn't have the tow package, I would tell them to throw that in as part of the deal and have them order the aux switches and all of that before you sign and make a date to come in and get it done as part of the sale.

Again, it wasn't terrible to add but I certainly wont be doing it again in the future.

Just some food for thought that's all.

Sponsored

bturleysc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Also keep in mind the tow package comes with a stiffer suspension from factory, so it isn't simply adding the hitch receiver later
Could you possibly elaborate on that? I don't see anything listed on Jeep's website about different suspension as part of the tow package. My JL has the tow package so I'm just curious. Thanks

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Could you possibly elaborate on that? I don't see anything listed on Jeep's website about different suspension as part of the tow package. My JL has the tow package so I'm just curious. Thanks
They don't say anything, but the springs are stiffer if you get the tow package. It is the same suspension with stiffer springs. That's why if you are doing a rubicon lift, getting takeoffs from a rubicon that had towing package gives you a higher lift.

Your springs are different even if you get hard top vs. soft top, to accommodate for the additional weight.

bturleysc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
They don't say anything, but the springs are stiffer if you get the tow package. It is the same suspension with stiffer springs. That's why if you are doing a rubicon lift, getting takeoffs from a rubicon that had towing package gives you a higher lift.

Your springs are different even if you get hard top vs. soft top, to accommodate for the additional weight.
Awesome, thanks for the explanation.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

If you prefer awd for snow traction sahara seems the way to go. Thats the only reason id ever get one.

id rather get two package from factory than add it later. Sounds like a huge pita. I prefer sport over sahara myself. Dont want leather or painted fenders or hard top or 18s. They are nice, but not for me. But awd option is great if you need it

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have a Sport S myself, but honestly just be real with yourself. If you're gonna be driving 15-20k a year daily driver, especially in snow, I'd go for the Sahara for comfort and the full-time awd.

Sahara will still be just fine if you off road a few times. Remember: Jeep is selling most of us an aspirational vehicle. Yes, many of us on a forum like this will off road a decent number of times, but a huge majority will take it on some grass for a wedding once or twice and that's pretty much it. And there's nothing wrong with that, so just be real and you'll be much happier in the end.

(If you're worried about not being able to tinker/mod the Sahara, you'll find stuff, trust me lol)

Sponsored

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
If you prefer awd for snow traction sahara seems the way to go. Thats the only reason id ever get one.

id rather get two package from factory than add it later. Sounds like a huge pita. I prefer sport over sahara myself. Dont want leather or painted fenders or hard top or 18s. They are nice, but not for me. But awd option is great if you need it
Random guy here sounds to me that the Sahara has a always on awd system and the sport s has a only use it when you need it awd.

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Not all Sahara’s have the full time AWD, so make sure the one you’re looking at has it if that’s important. Also I think the tow package comes with the upgraded rear axel, so the 18 may not have that. If you can get the 20 sport with all the options you want for less then it seems like that’s the way to go. And I have a Sahara, but I got a hell of a deal so it made sense for me.

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Not all Sahara’s have the full time AWD, so make sure the one you’re looking at has it if that’s important. Also I think the tow package comes with the upgraded rear axel, so the 18 may not have that. If you can get the 20 sport with all the options you want for less then it seems like that’s the way to go. And I have a Sahara, but I got a hell of a deal so it made sense for me.
Is there a definitive way to know if the sahara has the full time AWD? Would it be on the window sticker or an icon within the vehicle?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Is there a definitive way to know if the sahara has the full time AWD? Would it be on the window sticker or an icon within the vehicle?
Window sticker should tell you. Or look and see if it has CV joints with rubber boots instead of U-Joints.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing I haven’t seen mentioned with the tow package from the factory is a transmission cooler and both the 4 and 7 pin connectors.

I just got an 18 Sahara and honestly I love it. If you can get everything you want in a sport, that’s a perfectly great way to go, too, I just couldn’t. I also wasn’t building my own, though.
Sponsored