Sponsored

Disable or Change Rear Seatbelt Warning. Too Sensitive!

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
Hi All,
Before everyone goes off about safety, this is not about driving without a seatbelt. The issue is that the rear seats are super sensitive with their seatbelt warning. Folding down the centre armrest is enough to activate the chime and have my car beep at me non stop.

So my question is: Is there a way to change how sensitive the pressure sensor is? If not can I disable the rear seat belt pressure trigger all together? Preferably only the middle one because the two side seats seem fine. I can carry groceries or my bag there with no problem.

I am pretty pedantic about seat belt use and would never let someone ride around without one. But I don't need a chime to make me check if everyone is wearing one and I don't need a chime if no one is sitting in the middle back seat.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
There's a video in the forums somewhere on how to completely turn off the seatbelt chime.
- Put on the driver's side seatbelt
- Push the START button to RUN (don't start, don't put foot on brake pedal)
- Unplug the driver's side seatbelt 4 times and make sure it's plugged in after the 4th disconnect
- Push the START button to OFF

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hi All,
Before everyone goes off about safety, this is not about driving without a seatbelt. The issue is that the rear seats are super sensitive with their seatbelt warning. Folding down the centre armrest is enough to activate the chime and have my car beep at me non stop.

So my question is: Is there a way to change how sensitive the pressure sensor is? If not can I disable the rear seat belt pressure trigger all together? Preferably only the middle one because the two side seats seem fine. I can carry groceries or my bag there with no problem.

I am pretty pedantic about seat belt use and would never let someone ride around without one. But I don't need a chime to make me check if everyone is wearing one and I don't need a chime if no one is sitting in the middle back seat.

Thanks in advance
There is something wrong then if folding down the rear arm rest is setting off the seat belt chime because mine is folded down all the time and I’ve never had anything of sorts.

OP
OP
rogisilva

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
There is something wrong then if folding down the rear arm rest is setting off the seat belt chime because mine is folded down all the time and I’ve never had anything of sorts.
I thought that might be the case... I feel like this will be one of these long and boring fixes with multiple trips to the dealership...

OP
OP
rogisilva

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
There's a video in the forums somewhere on how to completely turn off the seatbelt chime.
- Put on the driver's side seatbelt
- Push the START button to RUN (don't start, don't put foot on brake pedal)
- Unplug the driver's side seatbelt 4 times and make sure it's plugged in after the 4th disconnect
- Push the START button to OFF
Thanks, but I really want to only turn off or fix that single rear seat. I would prefer for them to remain working as much as possible

Sponsored

OP
OP
rogisilva

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
I dont think the JLs have a rear seat belt chime/indicator, i believe that's only for the front. I couldn't find anything in the manual either

See page 244
https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...ications/en-us/Jeep/2018/Wrangler_JL/9510.pdf
They do. When they sense weight on any of the 5 seats a symbol pops up on my cluster showing which seats have "people" sitting on them and it shows that seat as red if there is no seat belt or as green if it is buckled up. This is accompanied by the pinging... The slightest pressure on the middle rear seat starts showing it as if there is someone sitting there... At the moment I leave that seat belt buckled up but I would rather fix that issue instead of keeping this bandage remedy...

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
They do. When they sense weight on any of the 5 seats a symbol pops up on my cluster showing which seats have "people" sitting on them and it shows that seat as red if there is no seat belt or as green if it is buckled up. This is accompanied by the pinging... The slightest pressure on the middle rear seat starts showing it as if there is someone sitting there... At the moment I leave that seat belt buckled up but I would rather fix that issue instead of keeping this bandage remedy...
Good to know, Ive never seen that feature and ive religious read through the manual many times lol. i wonder if its new feature that the 2018s dont have. Is this on your gauge cluster or the 8.4" screen?

Sidenote: Does it have a child reminder? ya'know for all those idiots leaving their kids in hot cars? id hope it would since the hardwares there

MJM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2004 GC Limited, 2018 Silverado LTZ, 2000 GMC Sierra SLT, 2000 Camaro SS
Why not just buckle the center belt and leave it that way? We have a 2 door so I really don't know what your back seat looks like. This may not be an option for you.

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm wondering if this is an Australian safety feature. OP's profile says they're in Australia.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Either buckle the belt or buy a fake buckle from ebay or similar.

OP
OP
rogisilva

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
I'm wondering if this is an Australian safety feature. OP's profile says they're in Australia.
Could be, It's a 2019 and it comes with all the safety bits and bobs that the US 2018 didn't have... I'll take a photo of it next time I go for a drive...

@roaniecowpony Thanks, but both are patches not solutions, I currently keep the middle buckled when I have weight on it. but I still want to try and resolve the original issue.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Is this a requirement of all vehicles in Australia? Can you see wires going to the seat maybe you can unplug or move the sensor going to the seat.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
:)This is annoying.. I’m searching for solution then I found your post..

right now I think the best solution is buy a fake seat belt clip.

have you found out any other solution?

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Just went out and checked mine, there are no wires to the rear seat belt buckles or under the seat cushions. Also from my owners manual pgs 251-252, BeltAlert is for driver and front seat passenger only. @dsgrey the chime disable works as written, now I don't have to listen to that just to drive to my mailbox.
Sponsored