Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

jeditdedn

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Jgroux

First Name
J C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
This is what I thought / feared - anyone know if there is a wiring harness out there - would love to see a write up like this done for the JL (assume the jk / jl harnesses are not same?)
http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/show...uto-Temp-Control-Upgrade-Parts-for-2011-17-JK
poking around my JL harness it does not match the 17JK in the link above.
@danny01 - as i have automatic headlights (thus the sun sensor) i should only need the in-cabin temp sensor (unless sun sensor has 2 outputs and one needs to be routed to the temp control or a/c module?) in any case would you have a write-up on installing these sensors to enable the automatic temp control? I imagine i will need to create a harness and tie into either the a/c or the temp control module?

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
poking around my JL harness it does not match the 17JK in the link above.
@danny01 - as i have automatic headlights (thus the sun sensor) i should only need the in-cabin temp sensor (unless sun sensor has 2 outputs and one needs to be routed to the temp control or a/c module?) in any case would you have a write-up on installing these sensors to enable the automatic temp control? I imagine i will need to create a harness and tie into either the a/c or the temp control module?
You will need to buy a new sun sensor because the one you have doesn't have the 2 additional pins needed for automatic a/c sun load detection. That also means you will need to route 2 wires to connector 2 of the HVAC module. As for the in-cabin temp sensor, you will need to purchase the sensor itself as well as make the wiring harness needed for it to work, since there isn't a Mopar replacement harness for it.

Jgroux

First Name
J C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
@danny01 thanks for the direction.
this looks like it could be a straightforward mod to fully leverage any investment made in the central control stack to match the 7 or 8.4 uconnect
I found the attached pdf to make it more clear.
Though would anyone know where I can a manual with part numbers for the sensors - in car temperature, sun, duct temperature (4).
Also some direction on what pins are needed for harness creation.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/HVAC-SYSTEM---MTC.pdf
[URL='https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/HVAC-SYSTEM---MTC.pdf']https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/HVAC-SYSTEM---
ATC.pdf[/URL]

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
@danny01 thanks for the direction.
this looks like it could be a straightforward mod to fully leverage any investment made in the central control stack to match the 7 or 8.4 uconnect
I found the attached pdf to make it more clear.
Though would anyone know where I can a manual with part numbers for the sensors - in car temperature, sun, duct temperature (4).
Also some direction on what pins are needed for harness creation.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/HVAC-SYSTEM---MTC.pdf
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/HVAC-SYSTEM---ATC.pdf
There is no use in adding the additional duct temp sensors, since those will only be beneficial in a dual-zone setup. These sensors actually go into the air distribution box and not the actual ducts, meaning that you cannot buy the sensors apart and install them; they come installed when you buy a new air box. The air distribution box your JL has is the one for the single-zone a/c, meaning it's missing another blend door as well as the layout to support dual-zone functionality, even though the wiring diagram says you have 2 blend doors, you do not.

You can make the automatic a/c behave in a single-zone manner by syncing up the driver and passenger temperatures. However, note that independently adjusting the driver-side temperature will do nothing; the passenger-side temperature is the one that actually adjusts the temperature of the air flowing into the cabin, since the only blend door in the single-zone setup is the one on the passenger-side (crazy, I know).

Contrary to what the wiring diagrams tell you, the single-zone distribution box does have 2 of the 4 duct sensors installed and wired up. The only real sensors you're missing are the sun sensor with auto HVAC functionality and the in-cabin sensor.

Sun Sensor w/ Auto HVAC: 68230114AB
In-Cabin Sensor: 55111178AC

Connector for both the sun sensor and in-cabin sensor (they share the same connector): 13654871
Pins for sun/in-cab connector: 13580635

Pins for HVAC module connector 2: 13767047

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jgroux

First Name
J C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
@danny01 - thank you, this is Perfect - all on order! Any direction on where to find the hvac module my newly created c2 plugs into?

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
@danny01 - thank you, this is Perfect - all on order! Any direction on where to find the hvac module my newly created c2 plugs into?
The HVAC module is located beneath the steering column to the right. You need to take off the trim piece underneath the steering wheel and then move the front driver seat all the way back.

The module is bolted onto the black HVAC housing and it has 2 connectors: a big horizontal connector with many wires, and a second, smaller connector (c2) right below which is the one you'll be looking for.

Since I have a Sport and not a Sport S, my HVAC module was missing the second connector (no auto headlights) which is why there's an empty slot there, but your Sport S will have it.
3738F47A-FB22-41EC-9BBF-739A1BA48BF2.jpeg
DBFA0FD5-2073-4FF5-93CD-4CF501DAAD88.jpeg

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
@danny01 super helpful. And looks like mine harness will support adding a in car temp sensor -

62543323-F4B2-4887-B337-D8D8F64A60D1.jpeg

EF449F5E-A5B8-4A3E-9556-2CB547C79586.jpeg
That's interesting.. from the looks of it, all of the wires you need are already in the C2 connector, even though your Jeep doesn't have the in-cabin sensor or HVAC sun sensor. That would have to mean there should be a connector for the in-cabin sensor somewhere in there that isn't connected to anything (don't quote me on that). Also, I would check to see that your current sun sensor harness has all 4 wires on it, which would simplify the install.

Jgroux

First Name
J C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
@danny01 well I have a 20 JL sport - maybe they got smart and have only one harness now? In any case I think i only need to connect in cabin temp sensor the this connector as the sun sensor has all four wires that match the c2

0A32EA77-9119-4427-9D02-A0CEA12C366F.jpeg

D07CB13C-97C7-42D9-92D4-1C9A725952E6.jpeg

Sponsored

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
@danny01 well I have a 20 JL sport - maybe they got smart and have only one harness now? In any case I think i only need to connect in cabin temp sensor the this connector as the sun sensor has all four wires that match the c2

0A32EA77-9119-4427-9D02-A0CEA12C366F.jpeg

D07CB13C-97C7-42D9-92D4-1C9A725952E6.jpeg
Well, I'm gonna have to make a note on that. This simplifies things greatly for Sport S JLs (at least 2020s). You would only need to buy the in-cabin temp sensor and the new sun sensor, plug them in, and you should be good to go!

Tinsoldier

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
So I have been following this thread for couple of months. About a month ago I upgraded my 2018 JL Sport S from 5" to 8" Head Unit that I purchased from an Ebay Seller (in florida). It has been programmed accordingly to my VIN. I love the upgrade 8" Head unit due to the fact that it is larger but also came with the built in Navigation. Seeing that infotainment is selling the auto climate control that would work with the 8" head unit, I decided to get one to match my head unit. Well...to my disappointment the auto climate control doesn't really work. I either have extreme heat or really cold. Nothing in between. Reading the past few threads, I am thinking that I might need interior sensor that my Sport Unlimited never came with. Anyone upgraded with the infotainment 8" head unit and climate control and actually has a functioning auto climate control?

Jgroux

First Name
J C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
So I have been following this thread for couple of months. About a month ago I upgraded my 2018 JL Sport S from 5" to 8" Head Unit that I purchased from an Ebay Seller (in florida). It has been programmed accordingly to my VIN. I love the upgrade 8" Head unit due to the fact that it is larger but also came with the built in Navigation. Seeing that infotainment is selling the auto climate control that would work with the 8" head unit, I decided to get one to match my head unit. Well...to my disappointment the auto climate control doesn't really work. I either have extreme heat or really cold. Nothing in between. Reading the past few threads, I am thinking that I might need interior sensor that my Sport Unlimited never came with. Anyone upgraded with the infotainment 8" head unit and climate control and actually has a functioning auto climate control?
tomorrow when my in cabin temp sensor arrives, I’ll let you know if my 2020 JL Sport 7” uconnect upgrade with auto temp control is working properly. Check your harness for the c2 connector in hvac module - if you have a c2 with all 6 wires you likely have a temp sponsor connector (behind right knee panel) and sun sensor - if not you’re going to need to build that c2 harness

Tinsoldier

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
tomorrow when my in cabin temp sensor arrives, I’ll let you know if my 2020 JL Sport 7” uconnect upgrade with auto temp control is working properly. Check your harness for the c2 connector in hvac module - if you have a c2 with all 6 wires you likely have a temp sponsor connector (behind right knee panel) and sun sensor - if not you’re going to need to build that c2 harness
Yeah I saw your threads and was thinking that I am having the same problems too. However I know I am not the only one that bought the infotainment climate control so was wondering if anyone elses have the same problem.

OP
OP
thewolfman2010

thewolfman2010

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (JL)
Well, I'm gonna have to make a note on that. This simplifies things greatly for Sport S JLs (at least 2020s). You would only need to buy the in-cabin temp sensor and the new sun sensor, plug them in, and you should be good to go!
I have a 2018 JL Sport S and have the in cabin sensor connector. Looks identical to the pics from @Jgroux. Interested to see how this turns out and will be looking forward to seeing if it's as easy as buying the sensor and plugging it in.
Sponsored