Sponsored

Runners, what do you do with your key fob?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
THANKS!!!! This is a much cheaper option to accomplish the same thing. Now I just need to figure out where to get it cut if I don't have a friend who's a locksmith like the OP of that thread.

Ok I'm going to state the obvious... you drive some place to go run? :surprised:
Anyway, don't you have a pocket inside your spandex?
Sometimes I do too. I prefer to not run the same trail every time so you gotta go somewhere other than your back yard. Lots of trails around her to choose from, but you have to drive to whichever trail head you want to run on.

As for the pocket. Nope, I don't have them. I usually wear ranger panties and a tee shirt. Even if I had pockets I'm not sure I'd use it. It'd probably be fine for a 5 miler or something like that. But for longer runs (marathons or even a half) the key would likely chafe after a while.

Run and ruck. Done that a lot. Embrace the suck—whatever that JL fob weighs.
It's not a matter of CAN we do it. The key is small, we're all capable of running with it. I've embraced the suck, but running isn't training. Well I guess it is, but in this case it's a leisure activity. We're talking about recreational and sport running. Nobody interested in storing their fob while they run is trying to prove they're tough. They're trying to find a way to make their recreational sport more enjoyable. Sure I've run in combat boots, but that doesn't mean I'm going to strap them on for a 5K on the weekend. I'll wear some nice light weight Asics, and find a scenic trail to actually enjoy my sport. If we were talking about training then yes I'd agree with you and Xjrider, but we're not. It's a sport, it should be enjoyable. Shedding an item that you have to carry is a good way to make it more enjoyable.

Personally, I don’t like to run with anything. Used to run with my F-150 key in the shorts pocket (either back of waistband or front appendix) until the sweat caused a problem. The moisture was getting into my key and the contacts must have been affected. Rock on if the JL key is waterproof, but I’ll find a different solution.
I don't like to run with stuff either. I never even used to carry my phone on runs. I'd just hit the trail and go. Until a few years ago I broke my ankle a mile from finishing my run and I had no way to get help. I had to limp/hop back to the house. I learned a lesson that night. Technology is good. So after that, I bought an arm band to carry my phone in while I run. It works out though, because I can use the phone's gps to track my runs instead of relying on my watch.
Anyway, I'm thinking that if I can get a key blade made, I should be able to slide that into my arm band with my phone, instead of having to hold a stupid fob. One less thing to carry.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Satire

For those who have seen the movie Pulp Fiction, this one picture will invoke both fob storage suggestion and laugh:

pulp fiction.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha. Great movie.... definitely NOT an option for fob storage though. :cwl:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Ha ha. Great movie.... definitely NOT an option for fob storage though. :cwl:
;);)You never know. Sometime the minutest (minootest) change in a runner's gait will alleviate repetition motion pain.....although I'll certainly concur if you feel this solution might also introduce discomfort in other previously unaffected body areas;)

Sponsored

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
I generally don’t like to carry things with me when I’m running (except gels/water for long runs) and I’m trying to think of a way to not carry my fob. I was considering getting a signal blocking bag off amazon and either picking up an extra manual key or hiding the bag somewhere under the Jeep. If I went the extra key route I would lock the fob, inside the bag, inside the center console and use the manual key to re-enter the vehicle/access the console. What solutions, if any, have you guys come up with? Thanks!
If I don't have a pack etc I hide my key in / under the bumper. There's some spaces where it tucks and stays put. Of course I look around and try make sure no one is watching me do this.
I don't like running with my key, bounce around, and have been running with people that have lost their keys out on the trails.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha. Okay, that's probably the funniest description of them I've read. I particularly like the description at the end about the fat chick in yoga pants. Very descriptive, and I think we've all seen what the author was talking about.... probably while at Walmart.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
For those with hitches on their rigs, there's always that combination lock based hitch accessory that you put stuff into and then lock on the end of the hitch opening.

4WHLFUN

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you carry your smartphone with you while running, could lock the key in the Jeep and unlock it with your phone (either via Uconnect Guardian or a Voyo).
I’d be a little cautious with this suggestion. While a good thought, I’ve had times (at home) I needed into the Jeep and didn’t have the keys in my pocket. I thought the same and just tried using my phone for access. 90% of the time: success.....10% of the time the doors won’t unlock. Not sure if it is a connectivity issue or just crossed wires in the ether but not to be trusted for 100% availability.

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Can we get a key cut? I never take a fob to the beach. With my current car I remove the fob and just take the key.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I wish my photoshop was better ... was going to photoshop the monster key into a bob stroller you can push with . Visual would be better.

OP
OP
Kbohtx

Kbohtx

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2005 LJ
Until I figure something out I have been putting the fob in the waist key/gu/whatever pocket of my running shorts and confirmed that I hate it. Once I install a hitch I will definitely be giving the hitchsafe a try.

OrangeRuby

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL)
I wonder if hitchsafe has a video of someone breaking into the hitchsafe. I’d be interested to know how easily you can get into it. Many home lockbox type safes are easily circumvented. I’d be hesitant to leave the keys to my ride until I saw how tamper resistant it is.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I realize that this is an old thread, that is being woken from the dead, but I having the same quandary as others. Where to put my huge key fob while I run?

Through the summer I was training with a UD pack most of the time, so it went in there. However, now that I am back to shorter more normal runs, I am looking for somewhere to put fob.

@Kbohtx did you ever get a hitch safe? If so, how is it working out, does the fob fit, or is it a fight?

Thanks
Sponsored