Sponsored

Stock Willys tires or K02s on new Willys?

stiks511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
land rover discovery sport
hey all, ordering a Willys and wondering how the stock tires will be for daily driving vs. trying to switch them out for the rubicon k02s (if that’s possible). Any big difference between them in ride and function? Thanks!
Stock Willys tires are: 32-inch Firestone Destination M/T2
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
hey all, ordering a Willys and wondering how the stock tires will be for daily driving vs. trying to switch them out for the rubicon k02s (if that’s possible). Any big difference between them in ride and function? Thanks!
Stock Willys tires are: 32-inch Firestone Destination M/T2
MTs are going to be louder for sure. If you're going to order a Willy's and don't want the MT tires they do have ATs as an option, and I'd feel better swapping those 245 duelers out for 285 KO2s than the nice Firestones.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
An MT is never the best choice for a daily driver, unless your daily drive involves mud, or other severe off road use. Loud, and comparatively worse traction in the wet and snow.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
MTs are going to be louder for sure. If you're going to order a Willy's and don't want the MT tires they do have ATs as an option, and I'd feel better swapping those 245 duelers out for 285 KO2s than the nice Firestones.
I dont think it comes with the duelers. I think it comes with the Goodyear Wrangler ATs. The Sahara is the one that comes with duelers. The Wrangler ATs are a bit more agressive than the bridgetone duelers and theyre quite nice, Ive been running them for a while.

OP if you are going to swap them you should get the MT and sell them, you will have more luck selling MT firestones than the Wrangler ATs. But if you want something lighter and that behave better on the road, get the ATs, just keep in mind theyre about 31.5 inches though.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think it comes with the duelers. I think it comes with the Goodyear Wrangler ATs. The Sahara is the one that comes with duelers.
I've seen sports with Duelers and with Goodyears, so I'm not sure what they have on the Willy's ATs. The Goodyear is a pretty good AT and I'm not scrambling to replace mine, and I wouldn't be opposed to getting them again, in 275/70R18 instead of 255s. Still, its no KO2.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I've seen sports with Duelers and with Goodyears, so I'm not sure what they have on the Willy's ATs. The Goodyear is a pretty good AT and I'm not scrambling to replace mine, and I wouldn't be opposed to getting them again, in 275/70R18 instead of 255s. Still, its no KO2.
Interesting. I had a 2018 sport JL that came with the Goodyear, now I have a 2019 that also came with the Goodyear, I love them. I thought the duelers came only with the Sahara because they were better on the road. Yeah the KO2s are great tires! heavy though.

https://www.liveabout.com/goodyear-wrangler-allterrain-adventure-kevlar-review-3160646

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I had a 2018 sport JL that came with the Goodyear, now I have a 2019 that also came with the Goodyear, I love them. I thought the duelers came only with the Sahara because they were better on the road. Yeah the KO2s are great tires! heavy though.

https://www.liveabout.com/goodyear-wrangler-allterrain-adventure-kevlar-review-3160646
Yeah, my 18 Sahara came with the Goodyears. A little bit more aggressive than the Dueler AT, but not bad on the road.

OP
OP

stiks511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm. Ok. The conundrum continues. Is it the wrangler ATs that are an option on the Willys? I must say I like the look of the K02s, then the MTs then the ATs. I’m not opposed to some extra noise, I kinda like it. But I also don’t want to totally screw myself come the rain if the MTs suck in the rain and in the kind of snow we get in Southern California mountains? Who would think tires would be the hold up on my order

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm. Ok. The conundrum continues. Is it the wrangler ATs that are an option on the Willys? I must say I like the look of the K02s, then the MTs then the ATs. I’m not opposed to some extra noise, I kinda like it. But I also don’t want to totally screw myself come the rain if the MTs suck in the rain and in the kind of snow we get in Southern California mountains? Who would think tires would be the hold up on my order
On the build and price it shows the Goodyear ATs. I have no complaints about how it does in the snow. I guess its a good option for you if you're up in Big Bear during the winter.

1kpd2LeBoMjXp&&pov=position1&width=1944&height=1052&bkgrnd=white&resp=jpg&cut=&top=T_U&door=D_On.jpg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Well it is not only noise, it is also gonna be reduced MPG as well. I believe the Kevlar ATs are rated for snow and ice and are supposed to be very good on the rain. But the MTs are probably the same or even better. I would go with the MTs and if you don't like them, sell them and get KO2s. But here in southern california we have a lot of pavement, long distances, etc... so the AT's will be a lot more practical and do great on snow/ice/rain anyway.

Sponsored

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have the Wrangler Kevlar AT's on my Canyon, and 37" Firestone Destination M/T2's on my Rubicon. The Goodyear AT's do indeed do well in rain and snow. I daily drive my Rubicon, and I don't find the M/T2's to be an uncomfortable ride at all, especially running them in the lower 30's psi. They are not ideal rain tires, though, and they are a bit louder...but not excessively so, even with the Jeep being a soft top vs. the superior sound insulation of the Canyon's cab. The M/T2's are a pretty heavy tire (especially as a 37"), I am sure it cost a few MPG's due to weight. The M/T2's have about 17k on them, seem to be wearing great so far.

OP
OP

stiks511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Wrangler Kevlar AT's on my Canyon, and 37" Firestone Destination M/T2's on my Rubicon. The Goodyear AT's do indeed do well in rain and snow. I daily drive my Rubicon, and I don't find the M/T2's to be an uncomfortable ride at all, especially running them in the lower 30's psi. They are not ideal rain tires, though, and they are a bit louder...but not excessively so, even with the Jeep being a soft top vs. the superior sound insulation of the Canyon's cab. The M/T2's are a pretty heavy tire (especially as a 37"), I am sure it cost a few MPG's due to weight. The M/T2's have about 17k on them, seem to be wearing great so far.
What happens in the rain? I do mostly street, some freeway but I mainly do 2-5 mile trips between clients houses.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mud terrains will give you low MPG because of increased rolling resistance mostly than they will due to weight.

To OP I think the AT are a much more practical choice if you intend to keep the tires, the mud terrains are going to be very good on hardcore off-roading, but at that point I would rather get KO2s. I think the mud terrains will be more popular due to looks more than anything, so they will be much easier to sell than the kevlar ATs.

If you are only gonna be driving 5~10 miles and wont be taking the Jeep on roadtrips and such then you might be more than alright with the mud terrains. They look great and I am sure are great performers off-road, but the ATs will be much better on the pavement and they do well off-road.

I think the willys deserves KO2s and a rear locker :).

OP
OP

stiks511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The MTs do look good on the Willys tho. But the K02s in the background on the rubicon would too. Wish I could see the ATs on a Willys. They’d be more practical but sometimes practical isn’t fun .

DDC2A57F-BA77-4B34-A877-4018AAAC62D9.jpeg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The MTs do look good on the Willys tho. But the K02s in the background on the rubicon would too. Wish I could see the ATs on a Willys. They’d be more practical but sometimes practical isn’t fun .

DDC2A57F-BA77-4B34-A877-4018AAAC62D9.jpeg
I think you want those MTs! I'd say go for it. :jk: You can always sell them to a sport owner and pick up take offs KO2's from a rubicon, nothing to lose. And I am sure a lot of people would trade you their AT's for your MTs if you ever changed your mind.

And yes, they look really nice.
Sponsored