Sponsored

Sky one touch rattling..driving me nuts!

awarsaw88

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
are you talking about the rear side windows? That doesn't seem to be the issue for me :(
Yes rear window. Dealership
Guys... I thought all my rattling was coming from the side windows.. Turns out the seal where the rear window meets the tailgate was also making noise.. I applied some Sil Glyde I got from amazon with a paper towel to the entire rubber seal and it stopped.. Going to do the same to the side windows once it stops raining here.. Even if it works for a few month its worth it to just re apply. I would give it a shot!

https://www.amazon.com/AGS-SG8-Lubr...rd_r=B8BX2AYB16E0DV7WGNZ8&qid=1572531539&s=hi
Thank you. Hopefully Jeep Customer care comes up with a permanent solution because a brand new vehicle should not already be squeaking. It's only squeaking because of a problem.
Sponsored

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Guys... I thought all my rattling was coming from the side windows.. Turns out the seal where the rear window meets the tailgate was also making noise.. I applied some Sil Glyde I got from amazon with a paper towel to the entire rubber seal and it stopped.. Going to do the same to the side windows once it stops raining here.. Even if it works for a few month its worth it to just re apply. I would give it a shot!

https://www.amazon.com/AGS-SG8-Lubr...rd_r=B8BX2AYB16E0DV7WGNZ8&qid=1572531539&s=hi
Guys,
I can confirm that applying Sil-Glyde to the bottom of the rear window seal and all the way around the 2 side removable panels has completely silenced my top!! I applied a good amount with my finger on all the rubber seals and like magic it's gone! Not sure how long it will last but at least it has worked for now.

awarsaw88

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys,
I can confirm that applying Sil-Glyde to the bottom of the rear window seal and all the way around the 2 side removable panels has completely silenced my top!! I applied a good amount with my finger on all the rubber seals and like magic it's gone! Not sure how long it will last but at least it has worked for now.
The dealer called me after the vehicle's been in the shop twice for the rear window (latch) squeak and Corporate is working on a resolution to this known issue. Apparently, the latches are causing this noise and Jeep has since built new Latches with Mylar to stop the squeaks. I am waiting on this new part to come in but have been told this will fix the issue.

sbco

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sky One Touch
Updates: I have tape on order to see if that will fix the issue I've been dealing with since June. I have now had my Jeep into the dealer 5 times with no resolution. I have tried tape, straws, cardboard wedges, etc. and the dealer has added additional weather seal and nothing has helped.

As of my appointment yesterday Jeep is ordering a new side panel to see if that will fix the issue. During this appointment they took a panel off another Jeep with Sky One Touch and placed it in my car. During their test drive this panel made rattles but not the sound you will hear of the video. Is this what others are experiencing? During my 4th appointment I was told this was a "normal" sound for a Jeep Wrangler.

Here is a video of the sound while driving this afternoon on standard city streets:

awarsaw88

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Updates: I have tape on order to see if that will fix the issue I've been dealing with since June. I have now had my Jeep into the dealer 5 times with no resolution. I have tried tape, straws, cardboard wedges, etc. and the dealer has added additional weather seal and nothing has helped.

As of my appointment yesterday Jeep is ordering a new side panel to see if that will fix the issue. During this appointment they took a panel off another Jeep with Sky One Touch and placed it in my car. During their test drive this panel made rattles but not the sound you will hear of the video. Is this what others are experiencing? During my 4th appointment I was told this was a "normal" sound for a Jeep Wrangler.

Here is a video of the sound while driving this afternoon on standard city streets:
I have the sky one touch top and I hear a hear the same high pitch tone but not as rough as yours. I've also been to the dealer a few different times without success. I've been told Jeep Corporate is aware of this issue and the fix is a new latch for the side panel window that is made with a mylar material. Apparently this is the fix. I'm waiting on the latches to arrive and hopefully this fixes the issu . Keep you posted.

Sponsored

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I have the sky one touch top and I hear a hear the same high pitch tone but not as rough as yours. I've also been to the dealer a few different times without success. I've been told Jeep Corporate is aware of this issue and the fix is a new latch for the side panel window that is made with a mylar material. Apparently this is the fix. I'm waiting on the latches to arrive and hopefully this fixes the issu . Keep you posted.
dealer will never fix this.. did u try the sil-glyde on all the rubber seals around the removable windows and along the rear window on the tail gate? 2 weeks now and still silent.. give it a try u got nothing to lose at this point

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab

that’s the worst I’ve heard! Does it make the noise with the top open? Sounds like the tracks are squeaking.. that’s not the window latch..

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab

man, I'm so sorry about this issue for you...mine doesn't doesnt like a squeak but a rattle

i hope it gets fixed for you and mine doesn't get to that.

awarsaw88

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take it to the dealership and they will fix it. Mine had the same issue on the passenger side. It’s quiet now unless I hit a large bump/pothole
What did your dealership do to fix this issue. Jeep corporate is worthless, all they say is go back to the dealership. And the dealer hasn't been able to fix this issue after multiple attempts. Complete disappointment.

sbco

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did your dealership do to fix this issue. Jeep corporate is worthless, all they say is go back to the dealership. And the dealer hasn't been able to fix this issue after multiple attempts. Complete disappointment.
Agreed - I'm waiting on tape that I am going to apply to see if it it will help as the dealer has been unable to improve the issue. I have been in to the dealer 5 times for this issue with no improvement.

Just yesterday the dealer confirmed they will be ordering a new panel for the side and will have it painted, however, this could take up to two months.

Sponsored

Simonsays

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

My new 2020 sounds exactly the same, extremely annoying.

Until FCA come up with a fix for this that has been validated, taking it to the dealer is a waste of time. The problem is, a solution could be a year out, depending on when they realized the issue. I have been in automotive engineering for 20+ years, and I know the process of a design change very well. They have to come up with a solution, then run durability testing for 3- 6 months to release the running change.

The root of the issue is the tolerances of the removable panel, seals, roof structure, coupled with the metal to metal latch. The panel moves relative to the body and roof and the spring of the latch can't keep the load on the contact point enough to prevent movement. This movement of metal to metal causes the squeaking sound.

I am going to try a few things, but it needs something like a vinyl tape which will eliminate the metal to metal squeak in the location shown in the attached image, but strong enough to last and it needs to be thick enough to compress the latch spring more, but not too thick so it wont release.

I will post a solution if I get something to last.

JL squeak.JPG

sbco

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My new 2020 sounds exactly the same, extremely annoying.

Until FCA come up with a fix for this that has been validated, taking it to the dealer is a waste of time. The problem is, a solution could be a year out, depending on when they realized the issue. I have been in automotive engineering for 20+ years, and I know the process of a design change very well. They have to come up with a solution, then run durability testing for 3- 6 months to release the running change.

The root of the issue is the tolerances of the removable panel, seals, roof structure, coupled with the metal to metal latch. The panel moves relative to the body and roof and the spring of the latch can't keep the load on the contact point enough to prevent movement. This movement of metal to metal causes the squeaking sound.

I am going to try a few things, but it needs something like a vinyl tape which will eliminate the metal to metal squeak in the location shown in the attached image, but strong enough to last and it needs to be thick enough to compress the latch spring more, but not too thick so it wont release.

I will post a solution if I get something to last.

JL squeak.JPG
Have you tried the tape listed on this thread? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...movable-windows-squeaking-noises.25487/page-5

I tried it and it seemed to help for a few minutes but the sound came back. Anytime I remove the panel I will have a short period of the sound either going away or not as loud before it comes back to be just as bad as it was. Are the pins on your latches metal or plastic? Mine were metal and the dealer put some sort of plastic cover on them which did not help. Continuing to work with Jeep Wave but no solution yet. A new side panel has arrived at the dealership and will be going out for paint soon I'll let everyone know if that fixes it.

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Have you tried the tape listed on this thread? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...movable-windows-squeaking-noises.25487/page-5

I tried it and it seemed to help for a few minutes but the sound came back. Anytime I remove the panel I will have a short period of the sound either going away or not as loud before it comes back to be just as bad as it was. Are the pins on your latches metal or plastic? Mine were metal and the dealer put some sort of plastic cover on them which did not help. Continuing to work with Jeep Wave but no solution yet. A new side panel has arrived at the dealership and will be going out for paint soon I'll let everyone know if that fixes it.
I have the sound even when the panels are out

yardsale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It seems like different things can cause squeaks. I tried that tape mentioned above and it still squeaked. I wound up taking the panels out and driving it. No squeaks. I sprayed some lubricant on the pins themselves and let it leak down into the hinge. Then I pushed each pin in and out a hundred or so times to break them in and hopefully wear down any high spots. No more squeaks.

You just gotta keep trying different things.
Sponsored