Sponsored

Tire Suggestions for Canadian Winter Commute?

jkw1991

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hey there! I've been a longtime lurker here on the forums and have to say thanks for all of the questions I've had answered before I even had to ask! My 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara is my daily driver and my commute is around 115km per day up/down the 400 (to Barrie). Anyone familiar with Ontario winters know the 400 is closed at least once per winter for a multi-car collision. Basically, the roads are a nightmare. I'm just looking for suggestions for good tires for the winter. If possible, I'd like to minimize road noise and maximize fuel efficiency (i know, *eye roll*). This is my first Jeep and I've only had it since May so I'll tack on a couple of follow-up questions haha Would you recommend separate sets of tires for winter and for summer? And if so, would you recommend separate sets of rims as well? Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide! They're already forecasting snow for tomorrow so winter will be here before we know it!
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
If interested in an All Terrain tire the Good Year Duratrac cannot be beat for winter conditions. They will do well in snow, deep snow, etc.

If you are more concerned about ice, a winter tire may be the way to go. The Bridgestone Blizzak, and Nokian Hakkapelitta are top dogs.

SDDynaRdr619

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon - 2017 Harley Davidson Dyna FXDLS - 2007 Nissan Titan
I second the GY Duratrac, I have those on my truck which i drive in the Sierras, and the Falken Wildpeak AT3 on my Jeep which are just as good in the snow.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I am from Edmonton Alberta, I have the stock KO2 and will see how it does in winter. FYI I had Studded Nokian Hakkapelitta for all my pervious owned cars. This will be the first time I will be driving on some AT tires in winter! Reviews are mixed on those BFG KO2!

Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The stock Rubicon tires worked well through my first winter in Montreal. Certainly not worth investing in a second set like was necessary on every previous vehicle. You could consider the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
The stock Rubicon tires worked well through my first winter in Montreal. Certainly not worth investing in a second set like was necessary on every previous vehicle. You could consider the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.
Good to know, thanks!

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Nokian tires are incredible in the cold and snow. I can’t recommend them enough.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Big fan of the Duratracs. I got 100K miles out of my first set and they still had almost half the tread left after 5 years. I have 40K miles on my second set with no issues.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
AT tires with 3-peak-mountain-snow-flake designations

Falken Wildpeak AT3W
BFG KO2
Goodyear Duratrac
FYI on the BFG KO2's a new DT designation was introduced last year with an different rubber compound to increase tire life and these tires lose the 3-peak-mountain-snowflake rating. So be sure that your tire dealer knows that you know what you want or else you'll end up with tires you may not want depending on your driving conditions.

ko2 DT desig.JPG

Sponsored

LBK454

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
+1 Duratracs

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I just took the stock Dualer ATs off and put 275/70/18 KO2 shoes on. My 2016 Cherokee ran KO2 tires and I was very happy with them. For reference, I live in Markham and DD to Oshawa for work. Every two to three weeks I drive across province to West Michigan and back to see my partner.

Over the last five years I’ve done multiple trips in some of the worst Michigan and Ontario can throw at me - including a couple of drives where State Troopers and the OPP have shut down the highways right behind me. They aren’t as good as real snow tires, but they are damn good.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
I would probably say Interco boggers :CWL: on a more serious note if I lived somewhere with harsh winter conditions I would get a designated tire made for snow/ice

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Winter rated ATs are ok, but winter/snow tires are better. I like better. Duratracs or KO2s will plow through deep snow no problem. You are not going to get stuck on your street. But, in hard packed snow, or wet roads in near freezing temperatures, the winter tires grip better.

I prefer to run two different sets of wheels and tires. You should rotate your tires anyway, so doing the swap is no extra work. I have a second set of alloy wheels, because I’m not a fan of the appearance the black steel winter wheels many choose to run.
Sponsored