Sponsored

Explained: Why Dealers Are Confusing 2018 JKU Orders for Next-Gen 2018 JL Wrangler

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

We noticed that several users have encountered dealers who claim they can now place orders on the new 2018 JL Wrangler.

Please note that as of today (August 25, 2017) and likely until October-November you can NOT and will NOT be able to place an order on a next-generation 2018 JL Wrangler (as opposed to the 2018 JK/JKU Wrangler).

Here is the reason behind the confusion:

The 2-door JK Wrangler has always been labeled "JK" in FCA's internal dealer systems while the 4-door JK Wrangler Unlimited is given the "JL" label. It's been this way for the past 10 years.

Of course, as you all know FCA decided on the "JL" vehicle program code for the next-gen JL Wrangler and since it is being sold concurrently with the 2018 JK Wrangler, it is causing confusion among some dealerships who are not understanding that the "JL" they see listed in their systems (and can place orders for) is actually a 2018 JK Unlimited.

1.jpg

Here is a recent dealer allocation screen. Notice that the "WRANGLER 4DR (JL)" actually refers to the 2018 JKU. You can see the corresponding JK Wrangler build codes (e.g. JKJM74, JKJP74, etc) next to it.

And when in doubt, have them verify the specific model/trim codes. We've already seen the 2018 JL Wrangler model codes in the dealer system screenshots.

Next-Gen 2018 JL Wrangler model codes:
JLJL72 - Wrangler Sport
JLJS72 - Wrangler Rubicon
JLJL74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sport
JLJP74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
JLJS74 - Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

2018 JK Wrangler model codes:
JKJL72 - Wrangler Sport
JKJP72 - Wrangler Sahara
JKJS72 - Wrangler Rubicon
JKJM74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sport
JKJP74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
JKJS74 - Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

It goes without saying this means dealers are able to place orders for the 2018 JK right now.

Rest assured, we will let everyone know when dealers can begin placing orders for the 2018 JL Wrangler.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Great info thank you for the heads up! What were they thinking labeling the JKU the "JL" then using it for the next Wrangler program name. :facepalm::facepalm:

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

And when in doubt, have them verify the specific model/trim codes. We've already seen the 2018 JL Wrangler model codes in the dealer system screenshots.

Next-Gen 2018 JL Wrangler model codes:
JLJL72 - Wrangler Sport
JLJS72 - Wrangler Rubicon
JLJL74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sport
JLJP74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
JLJS74 - Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

2018 JK Wrangler model codes:
JKJL72 - Wrangler Sport
JKJP72 - Wrangler Sahara
JKJS72 - Wrangler Rubicon
JKJM74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sport
JKJP74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
JKJS74 - Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Chief56

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Boss (Adm.) have you heard ( besides the price ) has there been any significant changes to the 2018 JK - have you heard of any option changes ?

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Boss (Adm.) have you heard ( besides the price ) has there been any significant changes to the 2018 JK - have you heard of any option changes ?
The 2018 JK pricing has not changed and also no notable new features. Some added color choices. Freedom and Recon editions will get minor additions like a tan soft top. That's about it.

Sponsored

Chief56

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Mr.Adm. - now it just to find out what options will be available on which models for the JL Wrangler

jimmiceman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Why would they offer a 2018 JK and also the JL?
Is it possible that they aren't releasing the JL until next year?

jimmiceman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Most people will want the new JL over the JK I would assume. So they might actually be wasting money on all the leftover JK's that no one wants. Especially if it looks as good as the leaks show. I'm not going to lie though. I'm looking st a JKU Recon now. It is really nice and in Gobi color which doesn't seem to be on the upcoming JL list. Not that I saw anyway. Plus I wouldn't buy the JL when it first comes out and don't want to necessarily wait two years to get into one that they have tweaked. We have a 2017 Sahara that I love. My daily driver is a 2014 R/T AWD I love but I could definitely be swayed into the Rubicon for the right price.

Sponsored

Chief56

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Administrator - I hope you still monitor this topic - has the 2018 JKs started production yet ? I looks like 10/2 was start up

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Administrator - I hope you still monitor this topic - has the 2018 JKs started production yet ? I looks like 10/2 was start up
According to Milous production launched over the weekend on Saturday Sept 30th.

JLUfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
I know this has been beaten to death, but are we still 100% convinced that the diesel will not be offered with a manual transmission? Do these new dealer screenshots offer any confirmation?

Exocet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon, a follower
2018 JK 2dr and Unlimiteds are showing up on dealer web sites, "In Transit," and showing VIN numbers that are now allowing retrieval of the MSRP window stickers. Pictures of the vehicles are showing 2017s, however. No word from the dealer on actual arrival date, but interesting that they're out there now, plus at least one dealer is offering "ePricing" ... The 2018s show up when sorting/resorting the list of inventory, and selecting "JK Wranger" vs. just "Wrangler"

Attachments

CassieMitchel

First Name
Cassie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Weird.. Ordered a 2017 unlimited in exteme purple end of September, the order guy didn't get to ordering it till 1st week of october..called me to tell me he could no longer order a 2017 that it would be a 2018 and $89 more.. on-ramp date was originally Nov. 9th.. Called to say it is now Oct. 31st.. verified again it was a 2018.. He is the Sales Manager... So confused
Sponsored