First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
I understand many frown on steering wheel covers, but those of you who don't - would you recommend a good cover?

I am not a large guy with huge palms so a cover that makes me drive with open hands won't do :CWL:

I read many reviews where they keep sliding, rotating, ripping and even popping off while you drive.

Needs to fit JLRU.

Mike
Sponsored

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Little tough to get on the steering wheel but so far I like this one. I heard of the OEM fabric cracking due to UV, oily hands, etc so I thought I'd play it safe. Love that the color matches interior.

steering wheel cover.jpg

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
I'll be that guy, don't cover it. Just buy new one in 5 years when it's wore out. Nothing lasts forever, that's why they make replacement parts. A new one without the heating element can be had for $200, with heating $300.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I understand many frown on steering wheel covers, but those of you who don't - would you recommend a good cover?

I am not a large guy with huge palms so a cover that makes me drive with open hands won't do :CWL:

I read many reviews where they keep sliding, rotating, ripping and even popping off while you drive.

Needs to fit JLRU.

Mike
I'll be that guy, don't cover it. Just buy new one in 5 years when it's wore out. Nothing lasts forever, that's why they make replacement parts. A new one without the heating element can be had for $200, with heating $300.
Or wipe down the steering wheel with leather or interior cleaning/protectant once a month, you will never have to change it.

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Protecting the trim is not the reason, but the wheel is too slim and I have to clench my fists to grip and they get tired, plus the finish (I think leather on JLRU) is too smooth, so no good grip. This is the reason I need the cover. Not to protect the factory leather trim.

Sponsored

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL

Needs to fit JLRU.

Mike
IMG_1533_1250.jpg

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Protecting the trim is not the reason, but the wheel is too slim and I have to clench my fists to grip and they get tired, plus the finish (I think leather on JLRU) is too smooth, so no good grip. This is the reason I need the cover. Not to protect the factory leather trim.
If you're finding the wheel too slim and need to grip the steering wheel that tightly, you might want to consider adjusting your seating position. Regardless of steering wheel thickness, there's no reason to have a death grip on it. Holding the wheel with enough pressure to have it move when you want it to is sufficient. Your seating position helps dictate this. My father owns/operates a repair shop and I've driven many vehicles of all types and have never needed to grip the steering wheel that tightly.

That being said, there was a posting on here about someone's steering wheel getting damaged by having a cover on it. Apparently, heated wheels don't like being covered.

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
As I decided to not trade in my old GC (didn't make sense for what they ofvered) I also changed 10-yo steering wherl jacket on it, which has been cracking for the last 3 years.
I found absolutely no evidence of any damage of any kind on the factory leather cover under it.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Take the wheel off and send it to Dallas custom steering wheels. They are a well know custom shop that does excellent work at recovery steering wheels. They can add in extra padding in the wheel and recover with whatever style leather or material you like, such as perforated leather, carbon fiber, Alcantara etc...
It may be a good idea to source a spare wheel and send it to them and then once you receive the reworked one, take yours off and sale it. That way there isn’t much down time.

Here is a couple of links to them. But I am sure there are plenty of others out there that do the just as good if not maybe better work. This company was just off the top of my head without searching for anything new.

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/about.htm

https://m.facebook.com/pg/DallasCustom/photos/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0
Sponsored