San Diego — Choosing Gears

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Anyone with 4.88 or 5.13 gears with the 8 speed and 37’s around? Maybe give me a ride down the road :)

I keep seeing everyone say 5.13, but @RebelOffRoad recommends 4.88 and don’t want to regret my decision.
Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Anyone with 4.88 or 5.13 gears with the 8 speed and 37’s around? Maybe give me a ride down the road :)

I keep seeing everyone say 5.13, but @RebelOffRoad recommends 4.88 and don’t want to regret my decision.
Whats the explanation from Rebel on the gear choice? You wont notice too much of a difference in top gear, only issue I read is with the shifting from 8th on hwy then WOT shifting toi5th or something like that. Dont scald me all at once but eddie on [Banned Site] made a video demonstrating it.

Just curious to hear Rebel's reasoning as I plan to run 5.13 in about a month or so.. 37's and socal mountains get the best of me.

OP
OP
lembowski

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Whats the explanation from Rebel on the gear choice? You wont notice too much of a difference in top gear, only issue I read is with the shifting from 8th on hwy then WOT shifting toi5th or something like that. Dont scald me all at once but eddie on [Banned Site] made a video demonstrating it.

Just curious to hear Rebel's reasoning as I plan to run 5.13 in about a month or so.. 37's and socal mountains get the best of me.
I watched that video as well :)

Rebel just said that they are recommending the 4.88 and that is what they are seeing as the best option for an 8 speed with 37's. I just called Revolution Gear and they said they could see it either way. The 4.88 has a slightly larger pinyon as a bonus, but the 5.13 might be better for those of us cruising up the Mountain to Big Bear or over the Laguna Mountains to head to the desert. And if you are carrying weight (bumpers, skids, RTT, Etc) 5.13 would be the better choice.

All that said I think I'm just going to go 5.13 since I already have the bumper and skids and don't want to feel under geared.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I watched that video as well :)

Rebel just said that they are recommending the 4.88 and that is what they are seeing as the best option for an 8 speed with 37's. I just called Revolution Gear and they said they could see it either way. The 4.88 has a slightly larger pinyon as a bonus, but the 5.13 might be better for those of us cruising up the Mountain to Big Bear or over the Laguna Mountains to head to the desert. And if you are carrying weight (bumpers, skids, RTT, Etc) 5.13 would be the better choice.

All that said I think I'm just going to go 5.13 since I already have the bumper and skids and don't want to feel under geared.
That's my opinion as well. With the desert winds and mountains best to have the gearing considering the weight I carry. Where you getting it done? I saw rebel post the price of 1599 plus tax.

OP
OP
lembowski

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
That's my opinion as well. With the desert winds and mountains best to have the gearing considering the weight I carry. Where you getting it done? I saw rebel post the price of 1599 plus tax.
Gonna have it done at Rebel

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Nice, waiting until I close escrow next month then will make the call. With gears best to have a reputable shop do the install. Don't want to be in bfe with a broken diff. That's the one thing I miss about Toyotas is just buying a complete setup third member and DIY.

OP
OP
lembowski

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Nice, waiting until I close escrow next month then will make the call. With gears best to have a reputable shop do the install. Don't want to be in bfe with a broken diff. That's the one thing I miss about Toyotas is just buying a complete setup third member and DIY.
I hear ya, bought quite a few from east coast gear supply for my 2nd gen Tacoma. But mine was a caged long travel truck and beat the hell out of it. I trust Rebel will do an awesome job setting the gears up.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
OP
OP
lembowski

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
If you do have it done at Rebel, you'll want to double-check that not only are all the bolts tight, but that they were all re-installed. I'd be very cautious. Read about the brake caliper bolts they forgot to install here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-1325
I can unfortunately tell you the same story about a few shops and dealers for that matter. And if you don’t double check the work you are quite an ignorant customer. Always ask them to paint every bolt they touch. Glad Rebel was able to get him back to the shop quickly and get corrected. I’m sure that service tech got the business.

@RebelOffRoad do you not have a shop Forman double check a job before it goes out the door? Shops that have/do this typically don’t have these types of issues.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can unfortunately tell you the same story about a few shops and dealers for that matter. And if you don’t double check the work you are quite an ignorant customer. Always ask them to paint every bolt they touch. Glad Rebel was able to get him back to the shop quickly and get corrected. I’m sure that service tech got the business.

@RebelOffRoad do you not have a shop Forman double check a job before it goes out the door? Shops that have/do this typically don’t have these types of issues.
Awesome! It sounds like you're the perfect customer for them. Most people pay "professionals" and have a certain expectation to do the job right (this expectation does not make a customer ignorant). And few would pay for a gear change and then go through and double check torque on all bolts, correct bearing setup, backlash, and that the correct fluid and fluid volume were used. Good for you!

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but from what I understand, they used to hire some mobile guys to come in and do gear swaps - not an in-house Rebel person did the work. I don't know if that's still the case. If that is still the case, that could make sense why they don't have a shop foreman who can/would check their vendor's work.

But it's almost safe to assume that was an anomaly, and all shops have issues from time to time. I have heard of some success cases come out of that shop, but it's been a hit and miss from what I've seen/heard.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lembowski

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Awesome! It sounds like you're the perfect customer for them. Most people pay "professionals" and have a certain expectation to do the job right (this expectation does not make a customer ignorant). And few would pay for a gear change and then go through and double check torque on all bolts, correct bearing setup, backlash, and that the correct fluid and fluid volume were used. Good for you!

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but from what I understand, they used to hire some mobile guys to come in and do gear swaps - not an in-house Rebel person did the work. I don't know if that's still the case. If that is still the case, that could make sense why they don't have a shop foreman who can/would check their vendor's work.

But it's almost safe to assume that was an anomaly, and all shops have issues from time to time. I have heard of some success cases come out of that shop, but it's been a hit and miss from what I've seen/heard.
I hear ya, I know my strengths and setting up a gear set is not it. I’ve had a long line of off-road vehicles and I’ve just grown accustomed to getting it home and checking the torque on everything after having a shop work on something.

It’s sad that I have to after paying for a “pro” to do the job but on my past prerunners that I would run 80+ MPH through the whoops I didn’t want to trust someone tightened down a critical component for me. Will I open it up and measure backlash, no I will not but when I change the fluid I will make sure the the wear pattern on the ring gear is consistent.

I’ve not heard the rumblings of the inconsistency at Rebel. I’ll look into it a little more before I set an appointment. Thanks for the heads up!

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like you and I share similar pains. It's really tough having someone else do the work that you can (even if you're not familiar with gear setup). The "pros" will never care for your vehicle as much as you do.

Just due to lack of time, I did get a few quotes to have mine regeared, but I've concluded that it'll probably be less of a hassle to just do it myself when I find time in the coming weeks. It's not really just about the money, but the value I get for the work performed.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the heads up, I was going to ask you if you know they did in house or mobile guy as I know that's the case for quite a few shops. When I get ready to pull the trigger I'll be calling a few shops I guess. I know of a few good shops that just do gears and axles etc but most of them want the axles out already.

Either way I would double check someone's else's work as much as I could, this would be the first time I let someone else touch my vehicles. I looked at setting up gears my self but not sure I want to invest in the equipment to do it properly. Maybe if I find someone that does it local or just go straight to a mobile guy..
Sponsored