Sponsored

Mopar CAI kit installed on JL today. Feedback / review.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
The 3 I am looking are the Holly Performance Intech CAI, Mopar CAI, and the Rugged Ridge CAI. Honestly the Holley and Rugged Ridge were the top choices as they do not require any cutting. I have seen a few of the Rugged Ridge ones in person installed, and they are NICE! I was actually very impressed at how well they looked with and without the taller snorkel part on. Even with just the low part it is nice. I like the Holly as it is very smooth, and no sharp curves etc.

The Mopar would be good, but with the cutout required (if it is required) seems to me like a warranty denial waiting to happen. Especially with all the warnings that it is for off-road only. With the others, worse case scenario you put factory back on. With this, hard to hide the cutout.

Living here in the desert with baby powder like dust I want something that does a better job filtering the air. I pulled the intake off my 2019, and know others who did the same and the throttle body had a TON of dust in it. My 2020 is still clean, but it is only a matter of time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
The hood cut out is optional so if you don’t want to cut the hood you don’t have to.

I’m in the mountains so have different issues to deal with - that the cut out can be closed off as needed/wanted is a nice touch and a useful feature for me.

The instructions say for off-road use only in part and for daily driving in an another. Flip a coin as to which to believe...lol.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Sidebar comment:

Anyone remember the old functional "shaker" hood scoops? No concern for long tubing runs: Cold Air Intake directly on top of the 4-barrel carburetor!

(And some horsepower-hungry crazies even put two carbs on their V-8's!)

Actually, drifting back to Wrangler land, why not a hood scoop directly over the intake manifold? Yes, the intake along the hood's side looks very cool and integrated, but a low, flat hood scoop in the area of the intake manifold would shorten the run and might provide an increase--maybe tiny--in cold air intake flow.

Of course, a hood scoop belongs on an automobile, not on a Wrangler... Hmmm. A new challenge. Are there any designers out there who could design a hood scoop that would look "good" on a Wrangler? (Agreed that if you need a snorkel for mud or dust, you need a snorkel, not a hood scoop.)

Another possibility: Why not a cold air intake utilizing our Rubicons' non-functional hood vents?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
The hood cut out is optional so if you don’t want to cut the hood you don’t have to.

I’m in the mountains so have different issues to deal with - that the cut out can be closed off as needed/wanted is a nice touch and a useful feature for me.

The instructions say for off-road use only in part and for daily driving in an another. Flip a coin as to which to believe...lol.
If it is truly optional then it is worth keeping on my list and checking out. I can't wait for someone to post a head to head comparison of these.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The fact you can use the Mopar snorkel with this is great, but the Mopar snorkel doesn't measure up. I don't ford deep water, but I don't see the point if it doesn't give you that capability. I'd go for the snorkel more for dust. However, if it isn't very water tight, it won't be very dust tight, either.

On the plus side, for off-roading trips, you can use a standard paper air filter that while it is more restrictive, provides better filtration. It does give you some options. I also like that it gets the most direct cold air of any CAI I've seen.

What I like is that you wouldn't have to run the snorkel all the time.

OP, keep us posted on how it sounds!
Anyone who tries to ford water to that height in these things is a fool. So many computers and electronics to fry.

Sponsored

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Anyone who tries to ford water to that height in these things is a fool. So many computers and electronics to fry.
Very true.

Only way to ford higher water is to lift the Jeep.

Could have a snorkel 10' high and it will gain you no more fording capability than stock

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Very true.

Only way to ford higher water is to lift the Jeep.

Could have a snorkel 10' high and it will gain you no more fording capability than stock
I mean, there's ways to do it, but it will involve much more than just adding a snorkel. Not sure this is the right platform for serious water fording though.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I mean, there's ways to do it, but it will involve much more than just adding a snorkel. Not sure this is the right platform for serious water fording though.
I'm wondering what the snorkel kit instructions say?

Wondering if it addresses anything pertaining to water fording.

MEGAS

First Name
Megas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Rugged ridge option is way better and no cutting.
2C57E2DC-C602-4EA5-A2E0-46131DF0EA7F.jpeg
I also like the fact that the RR CAI is back on the cowl away from the front of the hood where water can get in easier on a river crossing. Add to that the lack of snorkel intake along the hood when you are in snorkel mode and I'd say it's the winner. The Mopar CAI does look good though and the little door is a great addition.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if Toyota liked the Mopar snorkel from SEMA 2018 and was able to get it added to the 2020 trd pro faster than Mopar could put it out, or was something they already had in the works. The two are almost identical.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Well the problem is if they didn't put a note like that in there some idiot would install it, head into water over his hood, fry literally everything, and then blame FCA.
:CWL:

The Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper, TJ, JLUR
Sidebar comment:

Anyone remember the old functional "shaker" hood scoops? No concern for long tubing runs: Cold Air Intake directly on top of the 4-barrel carburetor!

(And some horsepower-hungry crazies even put two carbs on their V-8's!)

Actually, drifting back to Wrangler land, why not a hood scoop directly over the intake manifold? Yes, the intake along the hood's side looks very cool and integrated, but a low, flat hood scoop in the area of the intake manifold would shorten the run and might provide an increase--maybe tiny--in cold air intake flow.

Of course, a hood scoop belongs on an automobile, not on a Wrangler... Hmmm. A new challenge. Are there any designers out there who could design a hood scoop that would look "good" on a Wrangler? (Agreed that if you need a snorkel for mud or dust, you need a snorkel, not a hood scoop.)

Another possibility: Why not a cold air intake utilizing our Rubicons' non-functional hood vents?
I would imagine that the hood vents would be a low pressure area on a jeep. If they were to open up, they would let out air rather than let it in. Cowl induction probably would have a lot of air pressure because of the upright windshield.
Sponsored