Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
truth is..... there are outspoken opinionated A$$holes everywhere..... on every topic..... keep your circle small....... less people... less b.s..... :rock:
1shu02.jpg

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
truth is..... there are outspoken opinionated A$$holes everywhere..... on every topic..... keep your circle small....... less people... less b.s..... :rock:
Exactly !

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i saw the same thing with the mustang crowd. had a terminator and at mustang meets the fox guys would all stick together and online they'd say they were the REAL mustangs. the terminator guys said the gt500s were too refined and heavy. s197 guys said the s550 were to euro looking and not muscle car enough. every group has those people. some with real disdain, like air cooled vs water cooled (vw and porsche) lol.

the groups ive gone with are mostly JKs, though JLs are starting to show up more and more. havent seen any real separation. the JK is far more like the JL than it is to the TJ/YJ. heck i thought everyone group-hated on the YJs lol.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
i saw the same thing with the mustang crowd. had a terminator and at mustang meets the fox guys would all stick together and online they'd say they were the REAL mustangs. the terminator guys said the gt500s were too refined and heavy. s197 guys said the s550 were to euro looking and not muscle car enough. every group has those people. some with real disdain, like air cooled vs water cooled (vw and porsche) lol.

the groups ive gone with are mostly JKs, though JLs are starting to show up more and more. havent seen any real separation. the JK is far more like the JL than it is to the TJ/YJ. heck i thought everyone group-hated on the YJs lol.
i love YJs

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Thanks Mike! One day I will get a YJ as a dedicated trail rig and modify the hell out of it. I admit it is mostly nostalgia for the YJ I had all through my 20s, but there is something about the YJ I love. Were you with me at UWharrie that day when those guys had matching black YJs? Brought back memories.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from a really capable trail rig (YJ) and a hardcore trail rig (yj) to a JLUR, I totally get the attitude towards the new ones. All these people in their young 20’s rolling around with a lifted JK looking down upon JL’s because the JK is a real Jeep. Kids.... listen up, your JKU was the original abomination to the Jeep platform. Four doors, slanted and curved windshield, V6, dare I say it was crazy wide. That’s really the only other platform that I’ve noticed which gives the JL any grief. Get over yourselves. The yj and tj guys always come looking at my JL. I can share my battle stories Of the YJ consisting of 4am runs to the trail head in the sierras with no windows, no cup holders for my grande cold brew, no heated seats, and oh my god how did I survive without the heated steering wheel. We enjoy each other’s company in passing, we laugh, we are real jeepers.

The mature jeeper doesn’t care what you drive. Find a new group of people that are worth spending your time with.
Thanks for saying this so I didn’t have to! The mere thought of a JK owner thinking they have any snob leg to stand on is laughable.

Edit: I meant to say this too:

If a JK owner says some dumb shit like “the JK was the last real jeep” then you know you’re talking to an idiot. CJ owners said that about the YJ... called it the Yuppie Jeep because it had too many creature comforts. Let that sink in... the YJ, too comfortable. The YJ guys bashed the TJ for being the first jeep with coils instead of leafs, until their inherent superiority squashed that. The TJ owners (of which I was one back in ‘06) rightfully bashed the JK for being a bland, bloated abomination with a minivan V6. The JK owners have nothing to bash the JL over because the JL is the JK perfected.

And to anyone who gives the YJ shit for the square headlights, well, all I have to say to that is that it was the 80’s... cocaine is a hell of a drug! -and the XJ had square headlights too, and it’s inarguably one of the greatest jeeps of all time.

50DEE516-CBBB-41D3-BD09-A319995998B4.jpeg

Square headlights FTW!

Well, it isn't a practical vehicle, it's not affordable, and it's not a utility vehicle (yeah, it's good off road, but so are UTVs that cost less than half as much as a Wrangler). So if it's not an "image vehicle", it's a 'toy'. There are plenty of 'BMW people' that take their modified E36 M3 to the track every weekend and are every bit the enthusiast as the guy with the Wrangler on 37s, and their decades-old track car has zero snob appeal.

Nothing wrong with that. We all own hundreds of things with limited objective value/purpose, but oodles of subjective value.
I think the BMW comparison is apt. There is a huuuuge number of Bimmer enthusiasts who are as passionate about their track rigs as we are about our jeeps- but they’re far outnumbered by the even larger number who just buy it because they think it’s a cool car and they like the image. The jeep is a little different though in that I think it’s easier to have fun with it in stock form (i.e. take the doors / top off or go off-road). If you have too much fun with a stock Bimmer you get arrested.

It's funny because the JK was the only jeep I never had any interest in.
Word.

Last edited:

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I run with two groups: motorcycles (non Harley) and older air-cooled Porsches. Both groups were a bit distant at first when I joined. The Moto guys were wary because of many issues with newer squidly riders who had something to prove, rode unsafely, wore no safety gear, and endangered or slowed group rides. The Porsche guys were cool but wanted to know you weren’t a typical poseur but really enjoyed the hobby.

It took a few motorcycle trips with the group and suddenly you are one of the club, it took regular sustained engagement with the Porsche guys too. Show commitment to the group, leave snarky comments/opinions at home, show up and participate, demonstrate respect, be proud of your ride but humble about your experience and willing to share, and you’ll soon feel the love.

I had a TJ 20 years ago, wanted a new Jeep, and will soon have my JLR. I could care less about what you drive and more about HOW you drive and how you treat others. There is lots for me to learn about off-roading and I soon hope to add a Jeep club to the mix of new friends and experiences.

Hope to see you on the trails. I’ll be the one in back, treading cautiously and asking lots of questions. Do say hi.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it isn't a practical vehicle, it's not affordable, and it's not a utility vehicle (yeah, it's good off road, but so are UTVs that cost less than half as much as a Wrangler). So if it's not an "image vehicle", it's a 'toy'. There are plenty of 'BMW people' that take their modified E36 M3 to the track every weekend and are every bit the enthusiast as the guy with the Wrangler on 37s, and their decades-old track car has zero snob appeal.

Nothing wrong with that. We all own hundreds of things with limited objective value/purpose, but oodles of subjective value.
a UTV is a toy and feels like one, a Jeep is an adventure.. we pack in the family and all our gear and have an adventure on trails, top down to the beach, it’s not an image it’s just fun and and great and I love everything about it .. nothing but boos from me how say it’s image... I mean everyone likes a cool looking vehicle.. but the M wrangler is so much more

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I used to be Toyota guy years ago and ran with a Jeep group, was the only one in the group . They used to give the wife and I a bunch of crap, all good natured of course, but when we started doing things and going places they wouldn’t, or couldn’t then the crap got less and less.

It was a simpler life back then. Mid 80s early 90s. This was our rig at our house in Mesa AZ , and at my buddies house in Lake Havasu City, sorry about the crappy pictures, taking a picture of an old picture.

A 1974 land cruiser fj 40. Amazing vehicle. I restored it in the early 90s. Did most of work myself. I shipped engine out to machine shop, and left the painting to the professionals, the color was a compromise. She wanted purple and I wanted black, so she said how bout the darkest purple we can find, right then I knew I had a keeper, 30 plus years later , still awesome.

The wife and I disassembled and reassembled everything. To needle the group even more, our license plate read “ ntajeep”.... :giggle: ....Fun times....

F7FBC601-76BD-4537-98AE-8028C6FDD755.jpeg

F7FA4BED-329C-47E4-AACC-E471CE6BE447.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: