Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I like that! I can’t wait to see the write up. I decided to go with the small cobra handheld and am not a fan. So now I’m going back to the full size CB
The hardest part about the entire thing was all of the “testing” I had to do. I actually scrapped my original, bought new materials and redesigned/built it to the one pictured. If you have a garage you can probably pull this together in an afternoon. If you’ve got some time and tools to make some of your own brackets, it will probably come out better than mine, with off the shelf stuff from my local hardware store. Still, all things considered, I’m in it for under $100, and most of that was buying and re-buying hardware, and supplies (like new grinder discs, a step up bit, etc). Realistically if you’ve got the tools and the time this is probably under $50 and an afternoon. I’ve just been really busy and kind of burnt out with work and stuff. I’ve got my antenna mounted using the Quadratec “Flag Mount”, which you can remove the flag stud and replace with an antenna and coax stud. Next step is running the power wires for the radio. Once that’s done, I’ll have pics and a write up.
Sponsored

Lil Red

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just finished installing the Uniden 560 CB in my JLUR. I used the Cooltech kit. I routed antenna cable through the rear tailgate (actually cut a hole in the grommet and ran cable through it; it was a pain in the butt to cut a hole in that thing). Then routed cable under the carpet/trim along the passenger side of the Jeep to the passenger front floor board. The cable goes along the right side of the footwell, across the very front of the footwell (way up under the dash), and then along the left side of the footwell against the center console. I mounted the transceiver on that raised area under the passenger seat, in between the seat rails. The seat still has room to slide forward and backwards and the box is out of sight, except when the seat is all the way back.

I have the Trailer Tow/HD electrical package and learned that there is actually six wires available when Jeep added the auxiliary wires. There are the four for the auxiliary switches, and then there is a red/white that goes directly to the batter, and a orange/pink that is wired through the ignition. Both of these colored wires are 10amp wires. I connected to the ignition wire so that when the ignition is turned off, the CB also turns off. I can run the CB in ACC, RUN, and ON modes of the ignition. I grounded the black wire to a bolt attached to the transmission tunnel. If you pull back the carpet that runs along the transmission tunnel/center console, you will see a bolt that has a 10mm head. I loosened that and attached the black ground wire to it and tightened the bolt back down.

I have not done the SWR test yet. I had to order a SWR tester and waiting on it.

With the Cooltech kit I got the 4' black Firestick antenna. Cooltech threw in a Firestick QD because the mic holder is made for the Cobra and not the Uniden. I hot glued the plastic holder that came with the Uniden to the metal frame of the mic holder. It seems to hold pretty well, so far. If it doesn't hold permanently I will order that metal clip mentioned elsewhere on this thread.
Do you know what guage the ignition wire is?

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

How to prevent the antenna from hitting on the body of the Jeep while off-roading??
I mounted my 4' Firestik on the upper hinge. It hasn't hit the hardtop yet.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Easy install and no holes. Antenna mounted using Quadratec tailgate mount, grounding strap and 4' Firestik. CB radio tuned to 1.2 hi/low. Great radio (for CB) but I think I'm going to switch to GMRS. I have a handheld unit, but am looking at the Midland MXT275 to mount in the place of the Uniden CB. I just get comfortable with any GMRS antennas that will withstand off road abuse.

IMG_1238.JPEG

IMG_1239.JPEG

IMG_1240.JPEG

IMG_1241.JPEG

IMG_1109.JPG

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
Easy install and no holes. Antenna mounted using Quadratec tailgate mount, grounding strap and 4' Firestik. CB radio tuned to 1.2 hi/low. Great radio (for CB) but I think I'm going to switch to GMRS. I have a handheld unit, but am looking at the Midland MXT275 to mount in the place of the Uniden CB. I just get comfortable with any GMRS antennas that will withstand off road abuse.

IMG_1238.JPEG

IMG_1239.JPEG

IMG_1240.JPEG

IMG_1241.JPEG

IMG_1109.JPG
What mount is that? Where can I find it?

Sponsored

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
Thank you sir!!!

mbinzayed

First Name
Mohammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Hello guys,

I believe this is the best place to install a HAM radio. I am using ICOM IC-2730a in this installation.

Below are some of the benefits
  1. Not taking and space in the windshield
  2. way above so it is not disturbing
  3. neat and almost factory look
  4. easy access
  5. visible

20190930_232310.jpg

20190930_232304.jpg

20191001_180026.jpg

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Hello guys,

I believe this is the best place to install a HAM radio. I am using ICOM IC-2730a in this installation.

Below are some of the benefits
  1. Not taking and space in the windshield
  2. way above so it is not disturbing
  3. neat and almost factory look
  4. easy access
  5. visible

20190930_232310.jpg

20190930_232304.jpg

20191001_180026.jpg
Looks great! What is that mount? Did it come with the mount?

moonpup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Here's my Kenwood TM-V71A installed. The antenna is a dual band Diamond SG-7500 super gainer, using an 3/8 inch NMO mount. I like the mirror install above, but was not an option for me as I have the assist and emergency buttons up there, anyway...

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Sponsored

mbinzayed

First Name
Mohammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Preview of the finished product. Overhead CB Bar for a Cobra LTD 25 Classic. All wired up with padding. Detailed write up coming soon-ish....

5CD6C527-E8C0-4971-B34D-8AD6E7C25BC6.jpeg

13F52169-3C91-459F-A7E3-7ED63C2E9CF7.jpeg

5515142B-3CEB-4E12-B98C-B3796F10D386.jpeg

Also worth noting: hard top with wiper gets stuck if you’re using the HD Quadratec stainless steel mount with the Wilson Trucker 2000 style antenna. Need to make some slight adjustments.

71240629-D340-49AA-A574-D09156D7DCF1.jpeg

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
I just finished installing the Uniden 560 CB in my JLUR. I used the Cooltech kit. I routed antenna cable through the rear tailgate (actually cut a hole in the grommet and ran cable through it; it was a pain in the butt to cut a hole in that thing). Then routed cable under the carpet/trim along the passenger side of the Jeep to the passenger front floor board. The cable goes along the right side of the footwell, across the very front of the footwell (way up under the dash), and then along the left side of the footwell against the center console. I mounted the transceiver on that raised area under the passenger seat, in between the seat rails. The seat still has room to slide forward and backwards and the box is out of sight, except when the seat is all the way back.

I have the Trailer Tow/HD electrical package and learned that there is actually six wires available when Jeep added the auxiliary wires. There are the four for the auxiliary switches, and then there is a red/white that goes directly to the batter, and a orange/pink that is wired through the ignition. Both of these colored wires are 10amp wires. I connected to the ignition wire so that when the ignition is turned off, the CB also turns off. I can run the CB in ACC, RUN, and ON modes of the ignition. I grounded the black wire to a bolt attached to the transmission tunnel. If you pull back the carpet that runs along the transmission tunnel/center console, you will see a bolt that has a 10mm head. I loosened that and attached the black ground wire to it and tightened the bolt back down.

I have not done the SWR test yet. I had to order a SWR tester and waiting on it.

With the Cooltech kit I got the 4' black Firestick antenna. Cooltech threw in a Firestick QD because the mic holder is made for the Cobra and not the Uniden. I hot glued the plastic holder that came with the Uniden to the metal frame of the mic holder. It seems to hold pretty well, so far. If it doesn't hold permanently I will order that metal clip mentioned elsewhere on this thread.
Tip for cutting a hole through the rubber grommets, take a spent 223 casing , lay the grommet on a piece of wood and use the casing and a smack from a hammer to make a hole.

Jtizzle

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 cj5,2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Here is mine...

cb5.jpg
cb1.jpg
coax4.jpg
coax5.jpg
I love how clean this looks in the center area & how it doesn’t block or get in the way of anything. Did you have to use any kind of special mount, or is it just resting in the center by the brake?

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_1238.JPEG

IMG_1239.JPEG

IMG_1240.JPEG

IMG_1241.JPEG

IMG_1109.JPG
Do you have pictures of how you mounted control box?
Sponsored