Sponsored

Question for Bestop Sunrider owners

firemk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Punk'n)
I wanted to hear from actual users about their experience.

1. What is the noise difference between the freedom panels and closed sunrider?

2. Do you have any wind buffeting or flapping with the open sunrider?

3. Have you had any mounting issues or leakage issues?

4.Have you noticed interior temperature difference between the closed sunrider and the freedom panels?

Thanks for any replies, information.
Sponsored

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase

4.Have you noticed interior temperature difference between the closed sunrider and the freedom panels?

1)Very slightly louder not a big deal.

2)I don't like having it open above 55-60 mph. It acts kinda like a sail and will reduce your gas mileage. No flapping but the airflow is a bit much at high speed.(might be different on a 4 door with the rear windows) It's great for slow speed and county roads or if you lived in a state where the speed limit is not 75 for the most part. Don't let that stop you though it's way better than the freedom panels. Takes 3 seconds to open or close.

3)No issues. It will still drip in the same place(at the front of the drip channel) as the freedom panels with the door open when its raining just not as much.

4)I'd say it's about the same. AC and heat seem to be just as effective.

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome

Love mine I donā€™t really notice any noise difference.No water leaks at all.Very easy on and off.Just took it off for the winter.It took less than 10 minutes Super happy with ours.The only thing is it was a little bit of a pain to assemble the side rails and cables but once itā€™s together you never have to do it again

Austin TX Jeep Rubicon

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Lawyer

• Do not notice much of a difference. Maybe a little louder with the sunrider, but not too noticeable.
  • You'll notice some buffeting at highway speeds, but totally worth it. Would highly recommend the sunrider to anyone with a hardtop.
  • Super easy to install and no leakage issues.
  • No noticeable temperature differences.
Again, highly recommend. Will never go back to the normal freedom panels.

Sponsored

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Had it on our 2dr JK.
Going to get it for our JLU. (Besttop, if you are listeningā€”any discounts available?)

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜73 CJ5, ā€˜19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Had it on our 2dr JK.
Going to get it for our JLU. (Besttop, if you are listeningā€”any discounts available?)
Northridge 4x4 is offering a $100 gift card with purchase. Not bad.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Chiming in with the positive reviews. One of our favorite accessories. We have an Alien sunshade underneath to help filter out the hot CA sun while still keeping that open air feel. Slightly louder than freedom panels, but you forget all about that when you can open and close in a matter of seconds and you're not trying to figure out where to put the freedom panels if your cargo area is full.

IMG_1232e.jpg
IMG_1206.JPG

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab

I've only had mine on for a couple months. Mine is garaged so I'll probably keep it on year round. We'll see how this winter goes.

1 - I don't notice an appreciable increase in noise. Seems to be fairly close although I have MT's and those are fairly loud.

2 - I have had a little buffeting but nothing that bothers me. At 60+ MPH, I have had some minimal flapping but it is intermittent. I haven't found the source yet.

3 - Mounting was a piece of cake. I've had no leaks yet although it is garaged so I"m not sure how much exposure I've had yet. I have driven in the rain with no noticeable leaks.

4 - For the summer, it hasn't been bad because the sunrider has been open. We'll see how winter goes.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I get an annoying flapping from mine when the SunRider is closed and windows are open. It's worst if rear windows are open, but now it's started making noise when front windows are open, too

In direct sun it definitely provides less insulation than the factory panels.

I'd still recommend it, but I wish I could get rid of the damn heavy ticking noise when windows are open

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Love it, best thing since ice cream!! Wished I was smart enough to have on my JK's! No worries of whether to bring panels, leave panels or whatever, just great! Our panels are in their bag and hanging up since Match!

Probably put HT panels back in late November cuz we are in snow area, kinda tough taking snow off w/o damage I suppose so...? Otherwise I'd leave it on.

Go Jeep!!!

tma777

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Same results as D60, love it but when itā€™s closed and widows or window is open it flaps, mostly on passenger side and it creaks. I like being able to open it when I want for the open air but as others have said at highway speeds it acts like a sail and it flaps. Iā€™m usually in Virginia 95 traffic so the highway speed thing in the afternoon isnā€™t an issue as Iā€™m rarely over 45 mph. It was my first mod and despite the noise I love it. No leaks either.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with most assessments above. Mine has been leak free and I run it at highway speed.

I run mine from about October to May, then go to the soft top. Between then, there are always some warmer days here and there, so it is good to be able to pop it open quickly and not have the pain of removing/reinstalling the Freedom panels.

Here's another big advantage...I was running a great trail Saturday that was under the cover of lots of thick trees/leaves. It was raining off and on, so I was able to quickly open/close without stopping, to stay dry. (We were on a slow trail, in low range, so I didn't have to latch it.) I'd also close it when the Jeep brushed the vegetation causing water to drop off the leaves. I must have opened and closed it 20 times. It also enabled a great view of the fall colors!

I have one on my JK, as well, and I run it year round. The JK has the sun screen. I'm scratching my head as to why @BestopTeam hasn't come out with this simple but outstanding feature yet. My JK will leak in a high pressure touchless carwash for just a split second. The JL version doesn't leak, at all. Not a drop.

The only issue I've had with the JL version is some creaking on the driver side. I have tried to fine tune the tightness of the fasteners to eliminate it. The best so far has been for the front bolt to be tight and the rear a bit loose. The issue is magnified when on a tough off-road trail where the suspension is contorting. That flexing goes right through the body of the Jeep. Before tuning it, I'd hear it every time I hit even the smallest bump. I've got a few other ideas to stop it, but haven't tried it yet. The good news is that even with the rear bolt loosened, it still does not leak a drip.

It will be perfect when that sun shade comes out. PLEASE @BestopTeam , get this feature on the market before Spring!
Sponsored