Fluid film undercarriage protection?

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
Hi I live in the Midwest where Winters are brutal and the salt is killer.I want to protect the undercarriage of my vehicle and all of its parts I heard good things about fluid film. Is this safe 4 my factory undercoating it said on the can it may degrade some factory undercoatings? I got the spray cans four of them and plan on doing it this weekend. Any suggestions or helpful hints on the process? Any parts of the Jeep to avoid ( besides the breaks)? Any places to pay special attention to? Also advanced Auto has it on sale this week 8.99 a can. Thank you for your help
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
It should be fine. I just take my vehicles to LineX. Fluid film had to be redone yearly I believe.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
got news for you, there isnt any undercoating on buttucks of your Jeep. Some seam sealer and gray e-coat and a spritz of color and that is about it.

you can spray fluid film to coat the underside , but IMHO your best off getting a wand and use the fluid film to spray in the interior cavities like lower doors, gate , rocker boxes, inside the frame and cross members.

I paint everything under neath with Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator and Chasis black epoxy paint. Shoot their inner frame coating (zinc phenolic you shoot in with a wand from aerosol can) in the frame, rockers, cross members

12515Z_infoimage640.jpg

Then I spray a waxey coating over every thing using this
upload_2019-10-24_20-32-20.png

finally use the fluid film in doors, gate, hood cavities.

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Zeibart. Costs about $500 for a treatment, and if you get their yearly re-treatment (free after paying for the first one) they guarantee no rust on a new vehicle for 10 years.

Have it on my 2018 after a winter in Albany, NY, happy so far. And hey, they will be me a new jeep or fix the rust if not. Win win.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Zeibart. Costs about $500 for a treatment, and if you get their yearly re-treatment (free after paying for the first one) they guarantee no rust on a new vehicle for 10 years.

Have it on my 2018 after a winter in Albany, NY, happy so far. And hey, they will be me a new jeep or fix the rust if not. Win win.
:CWL:.... I'll never use them again. Best of luck to you tho for trying Zeibart.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Used to use fluid film for northeast winters. Worked ok but good for 4-5 months max in my experience. I’ve since changed to cerakote which was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Unmatched corrosion resistance and plenty durable. Figure about $100 for a quart which is more than enough for a JLU and it lasts years.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
I use both fluid film and CRC-656 marine pretty regularly. After 10 years and 200K miles using both on my JK I have no rust here in the Northeast. I use fluidfilm every 3-4 months and hit it with CRC basically every time I wash it. I also drove through a ton of saltwater in the outer banks getting caught down in Hatteras during Hurricane Mathew.

OP
OP

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
Thanks for your reply. I was going between the CRC and the fluid film I want with the fluid film for the frame and undercarriage because it seemed like it was thicker and would last longer, the CRC as I read seems to be more for electronics, correct me if I'm wrong. Can I use the CRC and the fluid film together like if I used fluid film and then touched it up with CRC as the winter progressed or as fluid film started wearing off? From what I read also the CRC seems to be lighter and would come off easier. Thanks for your help

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Big fan of Fluid Film for PA winters. Shot all bare metal with Eastwood undercarriage top coat first. Then went nuts with Fluid Film using inner frame spray wand and spray gun.

Learned about Fluid Film years ago, after having to do frame repairs on my TJ..... never want to do that again!!!

E725BC6B-4CBB-4B43-9648-DF8963C9633C.jpeg

1737DBA8-693C-4525-AD0D-45151416658F.jpeg
Sponsored