Aftermarket blow off valve?

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
For this specific application, do you guys recommend one style blowoff valve over another? Plumb back vs dual port?
We usually recommend a recirculating valve since the air leaving the blow-off valve is metered. Even though the 2.0L in the JL uses MAP-based fueling, it also is extremely sensitive to changes in airflow. As some of you saw, that loss of air can cause a CEL, possibly worse if the air/fuel ratio goes rich on shifts. The 50/50 valves are usually a good compromise between sound and performance and tuning will probably make the full vent-to-atmosphere valves work, but for now we recommend the recirculating (plumb-back) valves.

Thanks!
-Steve
Sponsored

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
We usually recommend a recirculating valve since the air leaving the blow-off valve is metered. Even though the 2.0L in the JL uses MAP-based fueling, it also is extremely sensitive to changes in airflow. As some of you saw, that loss of air can cause a CEL, possibly worse if the air/fuel ratio goes rich on shifts. The 50/50 valves are usually a good compromise between sound and performance and tuning will probably make the full vent-to-atmosphere valves work, but for now we recommend the recirculating (plumb-back) valves.

Thanks!
-Steve
Thanks for the official recommendation! Now we just need someone to post some sound clips! Is the plumb-back option noticeably louder than OEM?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thanks for the official recommendation! Now we just need someone to post some sound clips! Is the plumb-back option noticeably louder than OEM?
Probably not as if 100% recirc it will be similar to factory from a noise perspective. The vent to atmosphere ones make the noise; and in some cases tuned to make even more noise.

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
Probably not as if 100% recirc it will be similar to factory from a noise perspective. The vent to atmosphere ones make the noise; and in some cases tuned to make even more noise.
I know for a fact it will be more quiet than the dual port, since no air is getting vented to atmosphere. I just didn't know if the metal construction of the valve led to noise naturally. ;)

Aspaztikcolon

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I know for a fact it will be more quiet than the dual port, since no air is getting vented to atmosphere. I just didn't know if the metal construction of the valve led to noise naturally. ;)
"Noise" is only made through atmospheric venting. Metal construction ensures no loss of boost should you have a boost leak

Sponsored

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
"Noise" is only made through atmospheric venting. Metal construction ensures no loss of boost should you have a boost leak
No I'm aware of that, I was more wondering if the metal construction led to you hearing the bypass itself happening a little more compared to stock. If that makes sense. I know with the plumb back no venting is taking place... It made sense in my head when I asked it, LOL. Sorry. :LOL:

Aspaztikcolon

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
No I'm aware of that, I was more wondering if the metal construction led to you hearing the bypass itself happening a little more compared to stock. If that makes sense. I know with the plumb back no venting is taking place... It made sense in my head when I asked it, LOL. Sorry. :LOL:
Im no pro myself. After a saw this post i went to a buddy that is into turbo motors, mainly to find out if he had heard of turbosmart. He schooled me on a few things about BOVs. Venting in the long run will impede you. For every time your foot lets off, whether intensional or not, your boost goes right out the engine and the turbo needs to make it again. Think in heavy traffic when you have to feather the throttle, your just dumping the energy made and may slow you for a second. He also thinks that the 'pshhh' sound, while cool at first just becomes monotonous and annoying every ten seconds. Basically if it's not broke don't fix it. This doesn't mean i WON'T get one though

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
Not a great example of how it sounds while driving, but looks like CJ Off-Road got on top of a review and install for this guy.

Sponsored

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Not a great example of how it sounds while driving, but looks like CJ Off-Road got on top of a review and install for this guy.
take my money