First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
You guys keep forgetting residual value. It’s not like you spent $5k (assuming you pay full retail and full retail is that much) and get nothing back.

Fact is that if FCA later discontinued the diesel it will likely increase in more in value just based on the number of hemi and diesel swaps. Some just need the torque. This is the most cost effective route.
Sponsored

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You guys keep forgetting residual value. It’s not like you spent $5k (assuming you pay full retail and full retail is that much) and get nothing back.

Fact is that if FCA later discontinued the diesel it will likely increase in more in value just based on the number of hemi and diesel swaps. Some just need the torque. This is the most cost effective route.
Remember that there is such a thing as too much torque in off-roading. Seen too many folks pogo and flip their rigs because of too much instantaneous torque while crawling over large obstacles.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
So, you end up paying nearly a grand yearly to drive the EcoDiesel over the Pentastar, which doesn't seem as bad as I expected. But, you certainly will not ever save money with the EcoDiesel. It's an expense, not a savings to go diesel.
The funny thing about averages is they don’t always reflect the experience of a majority of people. Certainly a modest proportion live in markets which reflect the exact average delta between 87 and diesel prices. However the majority do not, with many in a substantially worse situation than your calculation and just as many (assuming something near a standard distribution) in a substantially better situation. I happen to live in a market where diesel costs less than 87, which is nice, but I’d still pay a premium on par with $1000 annually if I had to, given the intended uses. Also don’t forget the difference in fuel efficiency broadens as you add lifts, 35+ tires, and gear.

NW_Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Diesel here is 10cents more than regular unleaded. If you put in plus or premium like many do diesel is cheaper by 30-35 cents per gallon personally could care less about the cost. I want the torque last 4 of VIN 5095

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
We must not calculate on the basis of economy. A JEEP is not a delivery truck that has to run at a low cost ... The JEEP is a toy vehicle ... A diesel engine has a lot more torque and works better than a gasoline in difficult terrain.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Remember that there is such a thing as too much torque in off-roading. Seen too many folks pogo and flip their rigs because of too much instantaneous torque while crawling over large obstacles.
Wouldn’t that be mostly attributed to driver error?

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
Of course.
This engine will NOT be unsafe off road.
Lunacy.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Of course.
Lunacy.
No one said it would be unsafe. I just meant that increased torque can increase the chances for mistakes off road. I for one am not a big fan of small diesel engines. The EcoDiesel is a slug in the RAM 1500 and it will be interesting to see how well it's accepted in the Wrangler and Gladiator.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
No, but with the added complexity of the emissions systems, it may leave you stranded offroad.

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
No, but with the added complexity of the emissions systems, it may leave you stranded offroad.
Agreed.

A meteor could also hit my hood rendering my engine useless

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed.

A meteor could also hit my hood rendering my engine useless
The odds are slightly more in favor of a DPF/SCR/EGR/DEF issue happening.;)

Time will tell how reliable they are.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
No one said it would be unsafe. I just meant that increased torque can increase the chances for mistakes off road. I for one am not a big fan of small diesel engines. The EcoDiesel is a slug in the RAM 1500 and it will be interesting to see how well it's accepted in the Wrangler and Gladiator.
This is like guns...guns don't hurt people...people hurt people. Same thing goes for Off Roading, if you lack the skills don't do it. They Vehicle doesn't do anything you don't tell it to do. If you put the vehicle in a position to break...it will. So, the real issue is the driver...not the vehicle or engine.

You put a 16 year old in a Super Car...the question is "WHEN" will the wreck it! They lack the skills and if left alone they will tear it up.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
With how Jeeps are used, it would be a massive liability to disable the vehicle if something like DEF runs out. They should do a 15mph limit in the event of an emissions failure.
You’d have to be very irresponsible to run out of DEF. it’s like a 7k fill up. This is like running out of oil. Very unlikely.

Can’t imagine any well maintained vehicle leaving one stranded unless they did something to cause them to get stranded.

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
With respect.....

Do people actually care about cost effectiveness, or is that just something we tell our significant others to get away with stuff?

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I'm thinking more in the realm of sensor failure limp mode. Sensors will fail, my Ram's fuel sensor failed at 60k for example. Still runs fine. If the DEF sensor fails and the ECU sees 0 DEF, the motor will no longer start, stranding the Jeep in the wilderness.
Yeah. That’s a whole other animal. Unfortunate down side of technology.
Sponsored