rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Funny, after leaving the MB dealership I got a call from the sales manager asking about my experience at the dealership and why I didn't purchase a vehicle (bought several cars there before) I told him the truth that I didn't like the no test drive policy of the G wagon, he apologized and said he would arrange the test drive for me.

So drove the new G for about 40 minutes, its a very nice SUV and feels like a bank vault when you close the door, I was surprised at the wind noise at highway speeds (about the same as the JLUR with hard top) the V8 has a nice growl and good low end torque, handles very well to be so heavy (it now has independent front suspension), things I didn't like it had no sunroof (felt like being in a cave), got some nasty looks from other motorist (people give that snob reaction) digital display on dash is complicated to get to basic information fast, sticker price of course, and MPG estimate at 11 city and 13 highway and requires 93 octane, and nobody waves at you, LOL!!! I find the JLUR a bit more fun to drive....
The previous gen also had issues with droopy windows.

The vehicle comes with a lot of stigma around it. The younger generation loves it but the older generation wants to move forward with something that looks less utilitarian but is actually usable. Mercedes has done quite a few publicity stunts to show the G actually lives up to its hype but the ridiculous price point Mercedes has set to keep it exclusive does that job too well.. people get it to have car fun and not to have the offroad fun it's meant to do.

And yeah... there's no Jeep wave in a G.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
My thoughts exactly, the guy obviously have zero experience in offroading.
Either put in 4H and just charge that hill, and let momentum do the work like he did with the there 2.
Or leave it in 4L, lockers on, and crawl it.
He did neither.
The reason is his personal vehicle is a G63 (a different one) and he doesn't find the Jimny threatening enough to hate it but the Wrangler... well we all know about how the Wrangler stacks up in this sort of element.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
We had 2 G-wagons in our unit in the USMC. While we didn’t bring them to Iraq with us, they were more than capable off-road, believe me.
It's not the G63 spec they use when any work needs to be done with a G. Also the current mil spec Gs are the prev gen G... go figure :D

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It's not the G63 spec they use when any work needs to be done with a G. Also the current mil spec Gs are the prev gen G... go figure :D
I guess I should of mentioned that but I assumed everyone would already know this..

Sponsored

Andras

First Name
Andras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover LR4, Jeep Wrangler JL
Trying to use momentum in 4Lo 1st gear. That is some special kind of stupid.
entertaining video, but the 'results' are bogus. The only AT tire lost against street tires in both the wet-muddy hill climbs? Really?

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
If the Jimny was available in the US I would have one and trailer it behind my Rubi to a trail head and have some serious, white knuckle fun. I've driven a few of them in the Caribbean, and they never fail to please: nimble, capable, durable and reliable. Has all of the spirit of a CJ, with the soul of a Willy's.
I've driven the new Jimny... vibrates under WOT and vibrations don't come quietly... which means every time you want it to move, your smile is wiped off your face with a loud vibrator. Even a 1.5 turbo would do it much good and anything more is just the icing.

Edited: 2H is RWD.

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
TFL had some to say about it.

I was getting ready to post this when I first saw this thread... glad someone beat me to it! :like:

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I was getting ready to post this when I first saw this thread... glad someone beat me to it! :like:
The Carwow video is poor because there is little knowledge amongst U.K. journalists around off road vehicles. That’s because there is little demand for them here (Jeep sells 300/400 Wranglers a year). This also explains why the new Defender was never going to be a hardcore off roader....there’s no market for it in the U.K.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
About 20 years ago I worked with a former Army Ranger. He said HUMVEEs were really fun to drive.
Unarmored HMMWVs are outstanding off road!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Carwow video is poor because there is little knowledge amongst U.K. journalists around off road vehicles. That’s because there is little demand for them here (Jeep sells 300/400 Wranglers a year). This also explains why the new Defender was never going to be a hardcore off roader....there’s no market for it in the U.K.
Fascinating. I didn't realize they sold so few Wranglers there.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Fascinating. I didn't realize they sold so few Wranglers there.
The other day I met the owner of another JL, a 2 door Sahara, he was the first I’d met to speak to since I got mine in February.

N5lp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and 2019 2 door Wrangler Rubicon
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 6.02.44 AM.png
You do realize that they are front wheek drive in 2H right? :D I've driven the new Jimny... vibrates under WOT and vibrations don't come quietly... which means every time you want it to move, your smile is wiped off your face with a loud vibrator. Even a 1.5 turbo would do it much good and anything more is just the icing.
The 2019 Jimny has a drivetrain very similar to the Wrangler. Rear wheel 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive through a transfer case and vacuum operated front hubs. Not sure where this idea may have come from.

It also has a ladder frame and BLD traction control, similar to base Wranglers.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The other day I met the owner of another JL, a 2 door Sahara, he was the first I’d met to speak to since I got mine in February.
And it will still vex me that Jeep makes 2 door Saharas for export only...
Sponsored