JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Hi,

Noise coming from the rear passenger wheel when driving at low speeds. The noise seems to be coming from the wheel or the wheel area. It goes away with speeds above 10 mph and is loudest when coming to a stop, right before the jeep stops. Jeep has 10000 miles and has been doing it since the beginning although it got worst. Anyone got any ideas? Video from the noise here

Thanks,

Davi
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Something is definitely not happy. I'd pop the rear diff cover to see what's going on in there. Also, have in raised on jack stands to check for excessive up/down play in the pinion shaft bearings and wheel end bearings. That hollow thud sound is from something hitting the axle housing.

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Something is definitely not happy. I'd pop the rear diff cover to see what's going on in there. Also, have in raised on jack stands to check for excessive up/down play in the pinion shaft bearings and wheel end bearings. That hollow thud sound is from something hitting the axle housing.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll jack it up and check. But if it was something inside the axles wouldn’t it get louder with speeds? Also the noise is not always there, it comes and goes.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply, I’ll jack it up and check. But if it was something inside the axles wouldn’t it get louder with speeds? Also the noise is not always there, it comes and goes.
It really just depends on what's going on in there. It's kinda like driving over a washboard section of road. If you crawl over you bounce around in your seat, but if you go fast enough it isn't felt as much or at all.

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
It really just depends on what's going on in there. It's kinda like driving over a washboard section of road. If you crawl over you bounce around in your seat, but if you go fast enough it isn't felt as much or at all.
Ok, I will check it out.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I will check it out.
Wish I could be of more definitive help. It can be difficult when one can't put hands directly on an issue. My experience is with the family business of truck and heavy equipment repair, but I've yet to really dig into and figure out the mentality of the wrangler.

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Wish I could be of more definitive help. It can be difficult when one can't put hands directly on an issue. My experience is with the family business of truck and heavy equipment repair, but I've yet to really dig into and figure out the mentality of the wrangler.
Ill Probably only have the chance to jack it up and check everything on Monday, but once I do it Ill let you know what I find inside. Really appreciate the help.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Before popping the diff cover off, you could start with a less invasive approach. Remove the back wheels and check for excessive movement in the wheel hub bearings and give a good look for anything out of the ordinary on the axle ends.

Also, is your jeep stock or modded?

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Before popping the diff cover off, you could start with a less invasive approach. Remove the back wheels and check for excessive movement in the wheel hub bearings and give a good look for anything out of the ordinary on the axle ends.

Also, is your jeep stock or modded?
Ok that’s better, also the noise seems to be coming from the passenger rear wheel, not the pumpkin so the bearing may be the problem. Yes all stock besides a bumper and winch.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok that’s better, also the noise seems to be coming from the passenger rear wheel, not the pumpkin so the bearing may be the problem. Yes all stock besides a bumper and winch.
I've played your video several times between my phone and tablet, but don't have computer speakers or a decent set of headphones to really bring the sound to life.

Fingers crossed that it's something simple!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
I've played your video several times between my phone and tablet, but don't have computer speakers or a decent set of headphones to really bring the sound to life.

Fingers crossed that it's something simple!
I hope so. Ill try to get another video of it today.

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Hmmm...

That issue affects non-Rubicon models with the anti-spin differential rear axle. He appears to have a Rubicon.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/
Thanks for the reply. Yes it is a Rubicon. I've read through the thread but mine appears to be more of a grinding noise on the passenger rear wheel than a knock on the diff. I will try to get another video later today and if I have the chance to put it on jack stands and remove the wheel.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks for the reply. Yes it is a Rubicon. I've read through the thread but mine appears to be more of a grinding noise on the passenger rear wheel than a knock on the diff. I will try to get another video later today and if I have the chance to put it on jack stands and remove the wheel.
It is sort of a grinding noise actually, go to page 29, and watch the video:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/page-29

See if you have a similar noise.
Best way to check is to just jack up your rear wheels and spin them.
Sponsored