Sponsored

Can I just pressure wash the undercarriage?

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Sure its been asked but I cant find it. Is there any reason that I cant lightly pressure wash the underside of of the Jeep? I was at the dealer, they had it on a lift and were showing me that my Jeep is fine and the noise I hear is completely normal...sure...anyway, it was really dirty and grimy. Thought about just hitting it with a pressure washer. Any reason not to do this?
Just thinking how lucky the OP is.... Central FLA, no salt, brine, ice or sand to slowly eat away your Jeep! A little Florida mud adds character!
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I need a neighbor like this..."Hey Matt, how about you show me on my Jeep just how it is you get your underside so clean?" LOL. Heck, I can't even find a neighborhood kid any more who wants to wash the topside (or mow the lawn, or any of the other things I used to do to get a few bucks as a kid).
Move to a less affluent neighborhood. LOL.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
That's so funny! My husband and I literally talked about this yesterday:like:. My main concern was just removing the brine, so this should work excellently.
I had to look this up...I had no idea what brine was. All kinds of recipes.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
From what I've read, the only concern to be had from power washing a vehicle is too much pressure. Anything above about 2000psi could possibly damage paint above or oil/grease seals and wire harness connectors below. Anything much less would defeat the point of wanting more pressure than a good nozel on a garden hose.

Earlier this year, I picked up a Karcher k5 premium and a bunch of different attachments, including the "under bits" sprayer pictured above. It's been great and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quality built unit that doesn't break the bank.

Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Move to a less affluent neighborhood. LOL.
Regarding getting kids to wash vehicles or mow lawns...YOUR area has a last-census average home value of $809K with an average income of $91.5K - mine on the other hand has a $196K average home value with an average income of $54.6K. I can't imagine living in a "less affluent neighborhood" in CA! And I can't imagine what it would cost to have a kid wash or mow in YOUR neighborhood! LOL. Thanks for the chuckle though...(got any kids who want to go about three hours away to wash vehicles or mow lawns?)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Sure its been asked but I cant find it. Is there any reason that I cant lightly pressure wash the underside of of the Jeep? I was at the dealer, they had it on a lift and were showing me that my Jeep is fine and the noise I hear is completely normal...sure...anyway, it was really dirty and grimy. Thought about just hitting it with a pressure washer. Any reason not to do this?
"Lightly" heck try abusively!!!
I have had a pressure washer from the local car wash so far up that underside many times. Same goes for the engine bay. I'll pop the hood and blast the underside of the hood, all over every nook and cranny in the engine bay (the only thing to avoid is the intake) and then crawl up underneath and blast away from front to rear bumper. You don't need to worry, we've had it in water up to the bottom of the headlights (that's after a 2.5" lift) and have had no problems. I'l shove it through the rims right onto the caliper where the pads meet the rotors to get any dirt out of there too. Blast away!!

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Blast away. No need to take it easy with the exception of the electrical box and alternator, but even those will tolerate a fair dose. You'll find a pressure washer will not remove as much as you might think. Use a good detergent and a handle brush and then rinse. I'm a clean FREAK and put all vehicles on a lift, remove wheels/tires, and pressure wash, brush, and mitt at least 2-3 times per year. My daughter's 2016 JKU was on a lift at the dealer last week and the tech asked how we found a brand new 2016 without any miles... it has 28k miles. It's just that clean.
This is the guy you want to buy a used car from.
"Lightly" heck try abusively!!!
I have had a pressure washer from the local car wash so far up that underside many times. Same goes for the engine bay. I'll pop the hood and blast the underside of the hood, all over every nook and cranny in the engine bay (the only thing to avoid is the intake) and then crawl up underneath and blast away from front to rear bumper. You don't need to worry, we've had it in water up to the bottom of the headlights (that's after a 2.5" lift) and have had no problems. I'l shove it through the rims right onto the caliper where the pads meet the rotors to get any dirt out of there too. Blast away!!
Not so much. :)

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I have the Ryobi one from Home Depot, they work great has 3 nozzles so it lowers the flow rate thru each nozzle, hence it isnt going to harm anything underneath. I have a 3100 PSI gas pressure washer, and no means to dampen the pressure/flow but the ryobi unit splits the pressure to the 3 nozzles hence not to harsh.

upload_2019-10-28_13-27-6.png

Per kids doing anything, wouldnt trust them washing any of my cars, unless you like swirls.
Only time I see any kids washing cars is usually at fund raisers by the HS Cheerleaders, went by a few weeks back in center of town, in my pristine SRT and the gals are waving me to come in to have some dirty water and soiled rags to buff some swirls into my Mango paint. No thanks dear go practice on Daddy's black BMW ;)

Agree any of the younger folks seem to be not too interested in cars (unless mommy and daddy give them one) and cleaning or doing car maintenance is work to be avoided at all costs.

And no, that isnt my mansion, lifted that from the Ryobi ad on HD. can get these in the pressure washer area for like 40$

Sponsored

TexRivers

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We live by a beach in Australia , after each run we use our garden sprinkler on full bore for 20-30 mins slowly moving it under the vehicle front to back . Works a treat ...

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
Check this versatile idea out:

41IYPBAuBML._SX425_.jpg
Tools Pro Quick Connecting Pivoting Coupler 120 Degree with 5 Angles and Safety Lock for Pressure Washer Spray Nozzle, Cleaning Hard to Reach Area Max 5000 PSI 1/4 Inch Plug

• Adjusts 120 degree for 5 different cleaning angles, 1/4in plug inlet and 1/4 quick socket outlet, easy to fix betwee nozzle tip and wand.
  • It will save you CONSIDERABLE time for cleaning hard-to-reach areas, and to reach up car chassis, cars rims, IDEAL for gutter cleaning.
  • $12.99

• The package includes 5 Spray Nozzle Tips and 1 Quick Connecting Pivoting Coupler.
    • Quick Connecting Pivoting Coupler UP TO 4500 PSI, 1/4-inch Quick Change, for use on most pressure washers
    • Angled Pivot Coupler Adjusts180 Degree For 5 Different Cleaning angles to get hard to reach areas.
    • Include 1 Red Stainless Steel Nozzle Tip (0 Degree), 1 Yellow Stainless Steel Nozzle Tip (15 Degree), 1 Green Stainless Steel Nozzle Tip (25 Degree), 1 White Stainless Steel Nozzle Tip (40 Degree), 1 Brass soap nozzle tip (65 Degree), which meet different situations.

$13.28​

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
A LOT will depend upon the trails your run. For us ROCKERS, more dust than anything else, on occasion a stream crossing and them I blast it.

TIPs:
For you Mud blasters and for you guys in S Texas where they have caliche like Ft Hood. There you wash with a firehose, not kidding full fu man chu fire hose pressure. WHY? Caliche will bring a M 1 Abrams tank to a dead standstill in less than 6 in deep of caliche. It sticks to itself and to anything it touches, it's a real bitch to keep things clean.

For you mudders, get a can or two of PAM for frying and baking, spray the insides of your fender wells, and keeps mud from sticking.

Being a Rock guy I painted under my Jeep after every trip, I power washed, let it dry, and paint it with semi-gloss Wal-Mart black. WHY? Keeps rust away, looks good and most of all it shows me where I travel thru the rocks so I can make adjustments or replace bolt heads etc.
Sponsored