Sponsored

Considering Gladiator. Share your trade in value on JL.

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I dont know why anyone would sell their vehicle to a dealership. Youre losing thousands. Private sale is quick, easy and you get at least kelly blue book value. If you are financing and cant make the depreciatiion casht hen go to carmax. Why would you buy a vehicle and have it for 1 year then trade? stick with it for a little longer.
“MSRP was $41k, I paid $35k. Right now NADA says $35,125 for clean trade in“ That is someone posted here.. if that is remotely true, you would always trade it in.
Again,it’s not plausible.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
“MSRP was $41k, I paid $35k. Right now NADA says $35,125 for clean trade in“ That is someone posted here.. if that is remotely true, you would always trade it in.
Again,it’s not plausible.
I agree that $35k trade in would be optimistic, as comparables are listed for sale at $36-37k.

Realistic dealer trade in would probably be $32k. Which is outstanding depreciation over the first 2 years when vehicles lose the most value.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I’ll never trade to a dealer. I sold my diesel truck last year private sale at 18k. It was an 07. Dealers would give me no more than 11

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I dont know why anyone would sell their vehicle to a dealership. Youre losing thousands. Private sale is quick, easy and you get at least kelly blue book value. If you are financing and cant make the depreciatiion casht hen go to carmax. Why would you buy a vehicle and have it for 1 year then trade? stick with it for a little longer.
it depends on the deal, in Tennessee you only pay tax on the difference between your trade and what you buy. So if you’re trading a vehicle in and they give you $35,000 for it, you’ll save about $3000 in taxes, if you can sell it out right for $38,000, you have broken even, but you’ve taken time and effort just to try to sell it. So if it’s even remotely close to breakeven I’ll just go ahead and trade it to save myself a lot of hassle.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Ask 100 people this question and you’ll get a 100 answers. I’ve traded in and sold a lot of cars over the years. There are a few things I do to make sure my vehicle gets the best trade in or selling value.

1. Clean it up and fix everything. If you’ve got a JL with a broken windshield, it’s gotta be fixed. Sure it’s only $400 but dealers will doc you a lot more than that in value. You need to present them with a vehicle that they can sell quickly, and with minimal refurbishment. Oh, and if you off road your Jeep, clean the underside and the engine bay.
2. Remove any mods you want to keep BEFORE the appraisal. The price they give you will include those mods. Don’t expect them to itemize mods you want to remove. An example for me is that $900 Rubicon steel bumper and my winch. It doesn’t really add value on the Jeep so I’ll be pulling it off and either selling them or putting them on my next vehicle (likely to be a Gladiator)
3. Offer it up to dealers on AutoTrader. AT makes it easy to put your vehicle in front of multiple dealers. They’ll make you an offer on paper. I’ve sold a couple vehicles this way and sometimes I make out great. The last time I did it, I sold my Jag F-Pace. I expected to come about $1000 upside down but ended up with a check for $2000. I had the right vehicle at the right dealer at the right dime.
4. CarMax. It’s always a good option...

After these, you’ll at least have a good idea what the real trade in value is on your Jeep. You may be able to use this as leverage when you buy your new vehicle or you’ll get a better idea what to ask for it if you sell private party.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
One reason is that you only pay sales tax on the net when you trade in. Not such a big deal here in NC where we pay 3% but other states have much higher sales tax and that can make up the difference between trade-in and private party sale.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The JL isn't holding its value like its predecessors did. Over production, over pricing, and all the issues related to the JL have caused this.

Try a couple dealerships and see what they say. When selling a JK I had as much as a 10k difference between dealership offers...

I'd avoid Carmax. In my experience it was a waste of time. They offered me $3k for a 2007 Silverado 1500. Dealer down the street offered $9k....

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If y'all are going to share trade-in quotes you should give a % of MSRP, trim, and # of doors. Otherwise it is impossible to assess.

JPSTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Sting Grey, 2012 Sahara JKU (sold)
As noted, I would put your VIN into Carvanna, TrueCar, Vroom, and KBB trade in offer. When I sold my JKU Sahara a few months ago they had a $3400 range between the lowest and highest offer (to purchase outright). The lowest was $1400 over what two Jeep dealers offered me on trade. They Jeep dealers said brand new left over JK’s and 2018 JL’s were affecting what they could offer me (and in MI we pay tax on entire new vehicle price, not trade differences). Much easier and faster than shopping dealers, and gives you a good indicator when you do go to pull the trigger.

Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
In my state if you trade in you only pay sales tax on the difference. That is money you need to add on to the sales price if you sell to a private party if you just want to break even.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I think you’re going to find a large spread in answers anytime you ask about trade value. Finding a willing dealer is a huge part of it. For me, I got a great trade in value, very comparable to what I saw with my JK. Factory sticker was $47k, traded 2 years later for $35k. Had 30k miles on it. Sahara JL traded for a Rubi JL.

However, this is just me and obviously each scenario can be vary by a number of factors.

JLJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If anyone considered trading in JL for another vehicle can you please share what the dealer offered you . I see the trade in value on kelly blue book and it seems really off.
I traded my 18 jlur that was 10 months old with 20k miles I paid 45 for it and got 40 for it as well as got 5k off of sticker price.
It has thicker axle tubes, bigger brakes, and the sales lady said drive shafts from the ram 1500. I had a manual wrangler for the reliability but after researching the 8 speed I went with that and I love it. There is a trade off to be made between the two depending on what you fo with the back of your vehicle. Ill say that I was in the I dont need a Gladiator crowd and after trading I have no regrets. Different strokes for different folks.
Good luck!

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have not been happy with the offers from dealers on my JL, but it my fault. I had to have it in February in 2018 so there was zero rebates/incentives. Paid 39.5 and got offer 27-31K in the last few weeks, 25k miles. Sucks. One dealer was 31 as is, 29 stock parts.

58707945_10218325920129677_415850463154405376_o.jpg

JLJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have not been happy with the offers from dealers on my JL, but it my fault. I had to have it in February in 2018 so there was zero rebates/incentives. Paid 39.5 and got offer 27-31K in the last few weeks, 25k miles. Sucks. One dealer was 31 as is, 29 stock parts.

58707945_10218325920129677_415850463154405376_o.jpg
Not sure if your still in the market but Buchannon auto park in Waynesboro PA is has destroyed all other dealers as far as advertised prices and trade in values. No commision. I did the whole thing over text messages. They are a volume dealer and told me they make the majority of their money off of dealers kick backs. They were offering prices around 10% off.
Thats a sweet ass jeep you have by the way!
Sponsored