Sponsored

Smoothest Riding 35 inch tire?

xcantuaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
My current tires are the Ridge Grapplers..they are nice tires but not great for highway travel. They are very stiff and bumpy on the highway. What other tires do you recommend? My JL is my daily driver. Thanks
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Milestar Pantagonias
No. I can’t say what the smoothest is, but the OEM KO2 are much smoother than the Milestars. I have had both back to back.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
The KO2 are the smoothest I’ve personally ran, and coincidentally they’re also the WORST off-road tire as well.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The KO2 in 315/70/17 size comes with a C load rating, which is likely to be smoother than an E rated version. (I've not driven the E rated version, and only about 2 or 3 pounds separate them, so the ride actually may not be that different) I've got the C rated, and it rides beautifully, on and off road. It has handled everything I've thrown at it, from Moab to mud. I just did some off-roading with a Jeep club a few weeks ago and everyone had a wide variety of tires. There wasn't any situation where the KO2 appeared to struggle more than the others except thick mud. Even there, it got through, just not as easily as dedicated mud tires. However, there wasn't another AT that did any better.

I'm on a trip in Tennessee right now. We ran some moderate trails with some wet rocks and mud, then turned around and drove the Tail of the Dragon. There are tires everywhere that my do a specific job better, but I've never experienced one that does as well across the spectrum, and I don't know of one with a better ride or handling on-road, and they are quiet, too.

Btw, I've beaten the hell out of these for 24k miles with no side wall punctures or gouges. That includes lots of sharp rock trails. They've held up and haven't chunked or shown any issues with the tread. The wear has been excellent (5 tire rotation, so about 20k is on each tire) and they remain very quiet. I would not be surprised to see 60k to 70k out of this set, although I will certainly replace them well before they get to the wear bars. I won't let them get to where they become a set of skis off road.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Got my eye on a set of Cooper Discoverer STT Pros but not sure of the size. I just finished the 2.5 lift so I am being told I can go with 35/12.5/17 on a 17.5 rim. Can anyone confirm this? Not looking to put wheel spacers.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The KO2 in 315/70/17 size comes with a C load rating, which is likely to be smoother than an E rated version. (I've not driven the E rated version, and only about 2 or 3 pounds separate them, so the ride actually may not be that different) I've got the C rated, and it rides beautifully, on and off road. It has handled everything I've thrown at it, from Moab to mud. I just did some off-roading with a Jeep club a few weeks ago and everyone had a wide variety of tires. There wasn't any situation where the KO2 appeared to struggle more than the others except thick mud. Even there, it got through, just not as easily as dedicated mud tires. However, there wasn't another AT that did any better.

I'm on a trip in Tennessee right now. We ran some moderate trails with some wet rocks and mud, then turned around and drove the Tail of the Dragon. There are tires everywhere that my do a specific job better, but I've never experienced one that does as well across the spectrum, and I don't know of one with a better ride or handling on-road, and they are quiet, too.

Btw, I've beaten the hell out of these for 24k miles with no side wall punctures or gouges. That includes lots of sharp rock trails. They've held up and haven't chunked or shown any issues with the tread. The wear has been excellent (5 tire rotation, so about 20k is on each tire) and they remain very quiet. I would not be surprised to see 60k to 70k out of this set, although I will certainly replace them well before they get to the wear bars. I won't let them get to where they become a set of skis off road.
It's not the added physical weight of the E tire that makes the ride harsher than with the C, it's the overall stiffer structure of the tire that doesn't offer enough give when rolling over imperfections. The E rated tire is meant for a vehicle that's capable of carrying more weight than our wranglers.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
You need to also look at the load rating. I have C rated ridge grapplers and they are great on the highway, I have no complaints.

mrbtd

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
I think your Nitto' are load range F.

I recently went from a 286 65 18 KO2 to a 35 12.5 20 Pro Comp ATX P3 and was blown away by the softer ride of the Pro Comp. A touch more noise but the ride quality improvement is worth it.