IceIceBaybee

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Mojito!
Hi everyone,

Looking for advice. Took the Jeep out and had some fun. There was mud on the fenders and some lovely artist decided to draw on it which resulted in this etched in image below. I’ve scrubbed and hit this with everything I have. Has anyone dealt with this? it’s a little better now but this is what I am left with.

upload_2019-10-20_13-42-28.jpeg
Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This might sound weird but try and spray some nature’s miracle on it and let it sit shaded for 15 minutes. Wipe that off and then apply WD40 and wipe the panel until it’s gone.

If you don’t have nature’s miracle try soaking a paper towel in vinegar and laying it on top of that area.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

Looking for advice. Took the Jeep out and had some fun. There was mud on the fenders and some lovely artist decided to draw on it which resulted in this etched in image below. I’ve scrubbed and hit this with everything I have. Has anyone dealt with this? it’s a little better now but this is what I am left with.
Consider that a self-portrait... you're being too reserved. Have you tried any of the scuff/scratch "removers"... Meguiars, Carfidant, etc.?

https://www.amazon.com/Carfidant-Bl...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Hi everyone,

upload_2019-10-20_13-42-28.jpeg
Hate to tell you but that's scuffed into the fender, the mud was obviously sandy/rocky. Scratched in like sandpaper.

Just replace it...using an oil based product like armor all will only mask it temporarily(and ruin the molding in the long run).

Armor all is great to restore old faded moldings(very temporarily), but will actually ruin new molding due to the alcohol content. Ever see a fairly new vehicle and the moldings are so faded it looks almost white? That's because they used armor-all.

It had alcohol based substances that will actually burn the plastic and fade it...trust me. Just soap and water.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
A lightly abrasive polish applied with a random orbital polisher will remove that. Find a high end detailer and they can take care of it quickly and pretty inexpensively. The local car wash will r hit or miss as to whether they can help.

I wouldn’t try removing it by hand polishing.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
A lightly abrasive polish applied with a random orbital polisher will remove that. Find a high end detailer and they can take care of it quickly and pretty inexpensively. The local car wash will r hit or miss as to whether they can help.

I wouldn’t try removing it by hand polishing.
Random orbital on plastic? Lol

No, dont do that

OP
OP
IceIceBaybee

IceIceBaybee

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Mojito!
This might sound weird but try and spray some nature’s miracle on it and let it sit shaded for 15 minutes. Wipe that off and then apply WD40 and wipe the panel until it’s gone.

If you don’t have nature’s miracle try soaking a paper towel in vinegar and laying it on top of that area.
I will give that a shot since it's stuff I have readily available. Thanks!

Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I recently started using CarPro PERL on my 15 year old Super Duty plastics, and it is by FAR the best thing I’ve ever used on plastic! That’s what I would try first.

You can also try lightly going over it with a propane torch. It brings out the oil in it making it look like new. That would be my last resort though, because it may wind up looking different then the rest.

Last edited:

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Scratches on plastic are basically little shavings that are still attached. Providing everything is cleaned, you could take a heat gun and gently melt the shavings and as @Glamisfan mentioned above it should hide the abrasions. The only warning is at some point down the road, the heated area will fade differently than the area around it and it will take on a grayscale camouflage appearance. But it will help in the short term.
Sponsored