ESS Start / Stop disabled

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
My ESS stops working about once every 2 months or so. After a night on the trickle charger, everything goes back to normal.
Sponsored

ArmorAPLarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Compass
My ESS took a chit right from the show room floor. DIdnt know a thing about ESS but the condition got worse and worse. I brought it in and they couldnt figure it out either. They brought in a rep to figure it out and found a short in the wiring harness. Just what everyone wants to hear with a new high dollar vehicle purchase. lol They of course assured me it was fixed professionally and it hasnt been a problem since so I'm hopeful.

ESS is a scourge IMO. Not jeeps fault, likely government nonsense. I go out of my way now to burn gas unnecessarily. It helps that I own oil stocks. lol
This might help with your ESS frustrations.
https://armorautoparts.com/collecti...ement-jl/products/sssjl-smartstopstart-module

Let me know if you have any questions.
-Larry
Armor Auto Parts
SSSJT_edd46850-c3c7-4078-a2cd-97fea1cbc44a_1024x1024@2x.jpg

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Mine has been in twice for the ESS. First time I was trying to make a left turn in the middle of a six lane intersection it just died. It took me a second to realize I had to put it in park and restart the car. We are real patient drivers here in Los Angeles and everybody was fine with that. They told me it was a seatbelt malfunction. Just got it out of service again. I was doing 40 miles an hour in 45 MPH zone. When I was able to begin the pass I pulled out and floored the accelerator and got almost even with the car, then my ESS light came on and the car would no longer accelerate. It just maintained the speed I had built up. They asked me if I used my brake and gas pedal at the same time. I don’t think the system is ready for prime time.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
An update. FINALLY on the fourth time at the dealer, they swapped out the Clutch pedal sensor and now the ESS works properly. I've had a hundred or more events where it stopped the engine and restarted without the failure light ever activating once. Frankly now that it works and isn't taunting me with a big yellow dash light in my face, it really doesn't bother me. I haven't shut it off once since.

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The ESS battery, at least on the 18 is prone to failure.

I hate ESS and turn it off every time I start the vehicle. So the rational thought would be that the battery would last a while.

I was driving to the dealer at 34k miles to have the rear window defroster repaired when a warning popped up that ESS was disabled and battery protection mode was initiated.

The ESS battery failed and was replaced. I hate to see what it costs to replace outside of warranty!

Sponsored

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
It remembers that you turned off the ESS, so you dont have to turn it off every time you start the Jeep.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I personally I like the ESS system if it saves me a gallon of gas a year and saves the Earth I'm all in. Maybe the next few generation will do the same.
Hate to burst your bubble but ess hardly saves you ANYTHING.

When your running any kind of HVAC(which is basically year round)it's even further useless in saving anything.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Just get a tazer and turn your start stop off. Plus you can do other things and programming your computer in your Jeep.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just get a tazer and turn your start stop off. Plus you can do other things and programming your computer in your Jeep.
I don't think you can turn it off through the TazerJL anymore. Instead, the TazerJL simply remembers the state it was in on the last use.

From the manual: "AutoStopStart disable – remembers last state of the auto stop start system and will set it for you the next time you start the vehicle"

I'm having an issue where the Jeep doesn't think the driver door is shut, so it disables ESS and the error/alert sounds each time I start the Jeep. I'm tracing wires to see if something isn't connecting properly in the driver door harness. It seems to be related to the sensor that reports the door is open/closed, even though the dome line turns on/off as it should when the door is open/shut. I believe the grounding of the door jam triggers the sensor since there aren't mechanical sensors in the doors anymore. We'll see...

Edit/Update: My Door Latch was defective. Dealer swapped it out and now there are no more warning lights.

Last edited:

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thanks, think I will pick one up. I hate the ESS feature. I already bought a superchips and don't want to buy the Tazer at this point.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Hate to burst your bubble but ess hardly saves you ANYTHING.

When your running any kind of HVAC(which is basically year round)it's even further useless in saving anything.
You are completely wrong but again it is opinionated.
I just want to save some of the the Earth for future generations. Global warming is real.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
You are completely wrong but again it is opinionated.
I just want to save some of the the Earth for future generations. Global warming is real.
Even the left have changed it to climate change because Global warming never panned out. Growing up I was told we had to watch out for acid rain, then we burned a hole in the ozone layer after that and were all supposed to die of cancer, then global warming showed up, never panned out so now it is climate change.......you can be a lot more happy in life not worrying about this stupid fear mongering.
Sponsored