Sponsored

Gas mileage so far

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
That's my point. I find it ironic how most jeepers mock the idea of anyone wanting decent gas mileage in a jeep, but then turn around and demand "more power" (like Tim Tool Man) and are upset when certain powertrains aren't up to their standards. There was so many comments about the Pentastar not matching the Grand's HP, and that the 4 cylinder's HP wasn't good enough, and all this hypocritical garbage.

My response to them is , go buy a sports car and not a wrangler. Same smart ass response they have about gas mileage.
You do realize torque and horsepower are also go for off-roading, right, not just 0-60 times.

The Wrangler will never get good gas mileage regardless of what you put in it because it’s shape and weight penalize it vs most other vehicles, however a better powerpoant would help it get bigger tires moving, help it over tougher obstacles, and let it remain in lower RPMs when trying to do the speed limit against a strong headwind. The current options are adequate, but there are better options that do not go contrary to what the Wrangler is good at.

It’s not about turning a Wrangler into a track-day car, but about giving the Wrangler the appropriate tools for one of it’s primary roles.
Sponsored

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Gassed up today for the first time. At half tank after today's ride to the ski resorts and got around 18.6 mpg. Auto JLUR

johnnytaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ
I’m averaging 16.5 mpg. I was trying to vary my speed for engine break in while on the interstate, but it is still kinda low. I was expecting this kind of mpg once I’m rolling larger rubber, but that’s ok I’m gonna start measuring my smiles per gallon.
Even after filling my tank, mine starts at around 16.5 and barely creeps up with a mix of highway/city (more city though, and I'm driving fairly gently). I think I've seen as high as 16.8 average. I know all driving is different but I'm surprised I'm not getting 18 or 19 like some other city drivers have gotten. I wonder if the MPG calculators differ or if there's an update or something. I just need to do old fashioned math every tank I guess...

jt

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
What trim is yours and was it downhill with a strong wind from behind lol
Loaded Rubicon but I've been babying it. I drive about 80 miles a day highway to work and back and there are a total of 6 stop lights in that whole drive. I filed up two nights ago and have been driving as I normally would and it's averaging about 17.6 (according to the Jeep). The 22.7 reading was by manually calculating based on gas used - determined from filling up last time.

Jcaron9gt4

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WRX | 2018 JLU Sport S 6 Speed
So far I'm averaging about 17 according to the display. I have yet to fill up, so will have a more accurate mpg once I do. This is with 95% city driving, stuck in bumper to bumper Boston traffic, 25 miles each way to work. There was a 15 mile highway trip thrown in there. 6 Speed Sport S.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Loaded Rubicon but I've been babying it. I drive about 80 miles a day highway to work and back and there are a total of 6 stop lights in that whole drive. I filed up two nights ago and have been driving as I normally would and it's averaging about 17.6 (according to the Jeep). The 22.7 reading was by manually calculating based on gas used - determined from filling up last time.
What does the JL read though?

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
That's really impressive! What speed did you cruise on the highway when you got 22.7? My commute is 90 miles so this is encouraging!

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I'm now at 1100 miles. I averaged mid 17s for the first 400-500 (with a dip down into the 16s with a few days of stop & go on snowy commutes). Since 500, I've been steadily climbing ... now at 19.3mpg and climbing.

Around town (suburban with 1 light each mile) the auto engine off is doing it's job. Between lights, I'll accelerate up to speed limit fairly quickly, then lay off the gas so that the auto shifts into 8th gear at 40-50mph, then keep a light touch on the pedal to maintain constant speed. That allows me to cruise for about 3/4mi getting 25-30mpg. If I get caught at an early light, the engine off preserves the mpg I gained in the last mile.

On the highway at 70-75mph, the boxy body is tough on mpg. Depending on highway grade & wind, I float between 15mpg - 21mpg. If I slow down to 60-65mph, it's easier to hold the Jeep at 20mpg or above. (But I just can't bring myself to let so many people blow by me while they are doing the speed limit.) I've found that I do better with mpg when I do NOT use cruise control. Holding a constant speed on hills and intermittent wind causes more shifting than if I hold a constant engine 'effort' by accelerating a bit when I can, and using momentum to help against wind gusts & inclines.

For the auto transmission at least, I'd say the sweet spot is in the 35 - 55mph range. You can sit with fairly low rpm, and fairly low wind resistance in 8th gear in that range. If you could hold that speed range on a long trip, I'm sure you could post some crazy mpg numbers. Having on display the current mpg has changed how I drive. Naturally, I give it plenty of gas in order to turn into a small traffic openings when needed, and sometimes just for fun. But, I cruise differently now that I see how various pedal pressures affect mpg.

Sponsored

Tyrantresister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You do realize torque and horsepower are also go for off-roading, right, not just 0-60 times.

The Wrangler will never get good gas mileage regardless of what you put in it because it’s shape and weight penalize it vs most other vehicles, however a better powerpoant would help it get bigger tires moving, help it over tougher obstacles, and let it remain in lower RPMs when trying to do the speed limit against a strong headwind. The current options are adequate, but there are better options that do not go contrary to what the Wrangler is good at.

It’s not about turning a Wrangler into a track-day car, but about giving the Wrangler the appropriate tools for one of it’s primary roles.
Oh please, people have been offroading hardcore with a lot less HP over the years. Nearly 300 HP is more than powerful enough for all of those needs in a vehicle as light as the JL.

OP
OP
Mattyp1214

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Oh please, people have been offroading hardcore with a lot less HP over the years. Nearly 300 HP is more than powerful enough for all of those needs in a vehicle as light as the JL.
His argument has nothing to do with what people could go off-roading with but merely that it is designed by Jeep to give you optimum power both on and off road. It's tuned to give you performance not just a 0-60

johnnytaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ
I noticed today that depending on what menu you're looking at, the average MPG is different. One screen showed 16.7 and the other 17.4 (with trip meter). Not sure why they differ unless the 16.7 one is lifetime and the other one is since refilling/resetting trip meter. Those may both differ from actual math too. I'll continue to watch and calculate.

Also, mine is a Saraha w/ auto trans. Probably 70% city, 30% highway.

I should also add that my JL was on the lot for a few weeks and had 60 miles on it, so they were probably pretty rough miles with ultra-crappy MPG. Maybe if the 16.7 is lifetime, that's the reason... Who knows.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
What are manual owners getting? Any quick roundup of that?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Low end torque (and gearing) being extremely important for offroading. I care a lot more about the 500-3000rpm torque ratings than the 5000rpm HP of this motor.

My old 87 4Runner had a 2.4L that made 110hp when new. Revved the nuts off that thing offroading. And the JL still isn't light, lol. Just lighter than before.
Sponsored