Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon granite 2 doors; 2021 willys Sarge
Vehicle Showcase
2019 2 doors here. v41 completed. new trackbar too according the bulletin but Same problem. I am just giving up. PLEASE DO NOT SPEND MONEY on aftermarket STEERING STABILIZERS. I put a falcon 2 adjustable and DID NOT HELP. I am just thinking to sell the thing and be done. I have a JK and its a pleasure to drive compared to the JL. I have only 2500 miles on it. To be honest i dont know if it is fixable. I wante to love it, but I am changing my mind. Such a shame
Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
2019 2 doors here. v41 completed. new trackbar too according the bulletin but Same problem. I am just giving up. PLEASE DO NOT SPEND MONEY on aftermarket STEERING STABILIZERS. I put a falcon 2 adjustable and DID NOT HELP. I am just thinking to sell the thing and be done. I have a JK and its a pleasure to drive compared to the JL. I have only 2500 miles on it. To be honest i dont know if it is fixable. I wante to love it, but I am changing my mind. Such a shame
It's plenty fixable, with a correct steering gear. Unfortunately Jeep engineers are either unwilling, or not competent enough, to deliver a correct gear box. Its' willful negligence over there in Toledo. A bunch of hacks for engineers.

Anyone buying a Jeep needs to budget 3k for a new steering gear.

Dealerships should start installing them and including in the price.

GhosttheJL

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl Wrangler 2dr
I'm not just buying a stabilizer, I know that doesn't help much. I have Synergy tie rod, drag link and Metalcloak trackbar and stabilizer. Then I will take it to a different dealership that is about 100 miles away but does lots of modified jeeps and has been replacing steering boxes with the new 3rd generation box for a week or two. Just had to call in a favor with a friend to call the Service Manager there and it's going to happen. But it's a shame that Jeep doesn't just stand behind their products and their warranty.

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
some had the steering box replaced on the 4 doors and did not help. Am i missing something? I thought there is no new box for the 2doors

jacllondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After battling steering issues and some other problem in my JLUR, I finally got rid of it after only 5 months and 2400 miles. The last straw was when I went to a different dealership to help me with my steering issues, and minutes after the test drive with the service manger, the entire brake fluid reservoir emptied out in the middle of the service bay with the brake pedal to the floor and smoke coming out from the bottom. This was after the jeep spent about a week at another dealership (Arrigo WPB) for the constant pulling issues (3rd visit to this dealership, couldn't even install the V41 recall stabilizer correctly). After demanding a test drive with a manager, after they tried to give the jeep back to me after a simple alignment, he agreed there was an issue. Couple of days later, I was told they adjusted and optimized camber and castor to battle the pull...which I asked how they could do that in a straight axle vehicle like a jeep without LCA's etc...total BS. Well, to make a long story short, after I refused to take the jeep back and mentioned I will be taking the loaner back again, they threatened with calling the police if I left the lot with it. After going to the new dealership and trying to schedule an appointment to dig further, I found out that FCA put a restriction on the Jeep. So no warranty work or even a diagnosis was allowed on the vehicle. We believe that was the result of the last dealership being called out on their BS and inability to fix the issues. Jeep is completely stock with the exception of tires, but had these issues from day 1 with the ko2 and has been at the dealer previously. So after the brake failure, the new dealership couldn't even touch it until they got to the bottom of it. Had a case opened through FCA throughout all this. Pretty much useless and nothing more than an answering service for dealerships. Never again.

OMG I am so sorry!!!! This go beyond anything I have ever heard

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
After battling steering issues and some other problem in my JLUR, I finally got rid of it after only 5 months and 2400 miles. The last straw was when I went to a different dealership to help me with my steering issues, and minutes after the test drive with the service manger, the entire brake fluid reservoir emptied out in the middle of the service bay with the brake pedal to the floor and smoke coming out from the bottom. This was after the jeep spent about a week at another dealership (Arrigo WPB) for the constant pulling issues (3rd visit to this dealership, couldn't even install the V41 recall stabilizer correctly). After demanding a test drive with a manager, after they tried to give the jeep back to me after a simple alignment, he agreed there was an issue. Couple of days later, I was told they adjusted and optimized camber and caster to battle the pull...which I asked how they could do that in a straight axle vehicle like a jeep without LCA's etc...total BS. Well, to make a long story short, after I refused to take the jeep back and mentioned I will be taking the loaner back again, they threatened with calling the police if I left the lot with it. Never been to a more incompetent dealer with such poor customer service. After going to the new dealership and trying to schedule an appointment to dig further, I found out that FCA put a restriction on the Jeep. So no warranty work or even a diagnosis was allowed on the vehicle. We believe that was the result of the last dealership being called out on their BS and inability to fix the issues and reporting to FCA that the Jeep was modified in some way. Jeep is completely stock with the exception of tires, but had these issues from day 1 with the ko2 and has been at the dealer previously. So after the brake failure, the new dealership (Schumacher Jeep - they were genuine and good people to deal with) couldn't even touch it until they figured out why it was flagged. I find it interesting that this brake issue happened just after the last dealership had it. Had a case opened through FCA throughout all this. Pretty much useless and nothing more than an answering service for dealerships. Never again will I purchase anything associated with FCA and will continue to warn others as well.
Yesterday you posted you just bought a new jeep. Today you post "never again ". Please clarify.

Spartan77
#159Yesterday at 8:32 PM
Pulled the trigger on the 2019 JLUR turbo today. Had a 2019 Rubicon V6 I traded in because of constant mechanical issues that FCA and the dealer (and Arrigo WPB) refused to correct. Much happier with the turbo. Time will tell.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
This is one of the worst tales I ever read here. Totally unacceptable and a dealer like this should lose their franchise rights.

I wish you the best in whatever you end up with.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
After battling steering issues and some other problem in my JLUR, I finally got rid of it after only 5 months and 2400 miles. The last straw was when I went to a different dealership to help me with my steering issues, and minutes after the test drive with the service manger, the entire brake fluid reservoir emptied out in the middle of the service bay with the brake pedal to the floor and smoke coming out from the bottom. This was after the jeep spent about a week at another dealership (Arrigo WPB) for the constant pulling issues (3rd visit to this dealership, couldn't even install the V41 recall stabilizer correctly). After demanding a test drive with a manager, after they tried to give the jeep back to me after a simple alignment, he agreed there was an issue. Couple of days later, I was told they adjusted and optimized camber and caster to battle the pull...which I asked how they could do that in a straight axle vehicle like a jeep without LCA's etc...total BS. Well, to make a long story short, after I refused to take the jeep back and mentioned I will be taking the loaner back again, they threatened with calling the police if I left the lot with it. Never been to a more incompetent dealer with such poor customer service. After going to the new dealership and trying to schedule an appointment to dig further, I found out that FCA put a restriction on the Jeep. So no warranty work or even a diagnosis was allowed on the vehicle. We believe that was the result of the last dealership being called out on their BS and inability to fix the issues and reporting to FCA that the Jeep was modified in some way. Jeep is completely stock with the exception of tires, but had these issues from day 1 with the ko2 and has been at the dealer previously. So after the brake failure, the new dealership (Schumacher Jeep - they were genuine and good people to deal with) couldn't even touch it until they figured out why it was flagged. I find it interesting that this brake issue happened just after the last dealership had it. Had a case opened through FCA throughout all this. Pretty much useless and nothing more than an answering service for dealerships. Never again will I purchase anything associated with FCA and will continue to warn others as well.
Ummmm,
Yesterday (10/16/2019) at 8:32 PM. (actually last night) you, Spartan77 said: "Pulled the trigger on the 2019 JLUR turbo today. Had a 2019 Rubicon V6 I traded in because of constant mechanical issues that FCA and the dealer (and Arrigo WPB) refused to correct. Much happier with the turbo. Time will tell.?"

Then today, not even 24 hours later you say this stuff? Can you clarify for those of us who are rightly and mightily confused?

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I had no choice in the matter considering what I had invested in the jeep already. It was either I walk away and still owe on it or I roll the loss into another one. But yes, after this one is paid off, there will not be another one. Clear enough for you???
Dude, you do one thing and say another, and I point that out to you and YOU get an attitude? LOL. Think about that for a minute. And you could have rolled that loss into any other vehicle at any dealership of any make.

I hope the new Jeep works out better than the old one.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I tried that dude. Was put through the ringer when it came to numbers at every other place with the two different makes I was interested in. The only way to somehow salvage this issue financially was to go into another JL, given what I was offered. Take it for what its worth.
I really mean it when I say that I hope your new one is one of the really good ones. Best of luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Springs

Springs

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Rubicon JL 4-Door
Were you able to correct the wandering? I purchased mine in April of 2019 and it wanders left to right.
I am sorry to say, NO our Jeep still drives bad and I am hoping some day we will have a Jeep that drives safely down the road. I am waiting for a recall that will fix the loose steering feeling.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I donā€™t know what you guys experience after 300+ pages

Iā€™m coming from BMW X1, and my 2020 Sahara stock tires/wheels, drives pretty straight with more input than a BMW. For the most part, I think itā€™s a Jeep thing, and I got pretty use to it quickly.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

Iā€™m coming from BMW X1, and my 2020 Sahara stock tires/wheels, drives pretty straight with more input than a BMW. For the most part, I think itā€™s a Jeep thing, and I got pretty use to it quickly.
The disconnected/loose/wandering/constant correction/white-knuckle steering we are experiencing is *not* a ā€œJeep thing.ā€ Most of us with JLs with this issue have previously owned Jeeps. We had a ā€˜12 JKUR we drove to Utah and Colorado. We know what to expect from a solid axle vehicle. We donā€™t expect BMW-like precision. We want our Jeeps to drive predictably and safely.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

Plenty of us have driven JLs with good and bad steering. So no it isn't a, "Jeep thing" and with 300+ pages, it should have been obvious there's a problem. Glad to hear yours is ok.
Sponsored