Sponsored

3.0D Jeep Diesel now available for ordering! Priced at $6k.

thestein13

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Auditor
KEYWORD with the Diesel is: DRIVEABILITY

As someone who has a JKU with 90K on the clock I can tell you the Diesel will be much more enjoyable to drive on a daily basis if your Wrangler is modified. 35s or 37s + steel bumpers front and rear + winch add a lot of weight. While the Wrangler stock is fine, they don't like weight. My JKU is terrible in the mountains and tiresome on long trips that require hours of hwy driving. Simply having the power to get out of its own way will make a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in how much more enjoyable these vehicles become for Overlanding.
The eight speed transmission makes a world of difference for the 3.6 in the JL.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered my EcoDiesel Rubicon on Saturday, Oct 12th. I found it interesting that they come standard with 3.73 gears, and no option to upgrade to 4.10. Makes sense... 442 lb-ft of torque should be plenty to get the stock rubber rollin'.
This has more to do with the RPM limits and low speed operation of a diesel engine as compared to a gasoline engine than anything else. My 6.7L Powerstroke was only available with 3.55 gears, though it had 900 lb-ft of torque.

Gratz on the new ride.

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
I’m open for a friendly wager re a 10% difference between 2.0 and 3.0mpg...
Does someone have both vehicles they can take for a week of the same driving to get the data? I’m sure not going to buy a diesel to find out that it gets 3mpg worse than the sticker like my ecodiesel did.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Does someone have both vehicles they can take for a week of the same driving to get the data? I’m sure not going to buy a diesel to find out that it gets 3mpg worse than the sticker like my ecodiesel did.
Won’t be necessary...I doubt anyone on here will posting average 2.0 mpg within 10% of a 3.0, even before the 3.0 is broken in...or with mine running 35” studded nokians in the dead of Alaskan winter on a 2.5” lift for that matter. Guess we’ll know soon enough.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From dealer, came from corporate
You’ll have to excuse me if I take everything relayed through a dealer with a brick of salt. Unless it’s a complete coincidence that FCA opened orders for 1500/JLU 3.0s on the same day EPA/CARB certifications for the 1500 were announced (with 1500 3.0s hitting D-status same week), the JLU 3.0s will be getting VINs around the same time the gendarmes certify it. Somehow I doubt FCA corporate put a hard date on production without knowing when the certifications will be finalized.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The problem is your thinking logical and applying common sense. Neither of those need apply in the new world we live in. Remember rich people and leasers have to have the newest widget they don’t care they want the newest most expensive thing whether it’s good or not, whether it works or not. If they don’t like it they just get the next great expensive widget. Also remember most are not buying their diesel wrangler as their only vehicle to drive. They have plenty of cars around to drive while they’re Jeep is in the shop. Saying you have a diesel is cool the hundred thousand dollar diesel crew cab pick up trucks running around never towing and never hauling anything should give you an indication of that. They sell them because they’re the most expensive model.

Yup, my son has a tuned diesel F250...about 800 hp. The heaviest thing it has ever towed in nothing...... He lived in an apartment when he bought it, and had plans to buy an ATV. Mind you it is a sweet truck, sitting in a shipping container in my back yard because he moved to Japan, but for many people it is just an added expense. I though about holding out for the diesel, but when I saw rubicons locked spinning 37s slowly on rock in Moab, I knew that there was no lack of torque or power for wheeling with a v6.

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
I know I'm in the (extremely vast) minority on this, but one of the main reasons I want a diesel is the ability to cut my fuel with alternative fuels. Specifically WVO, and biodiesel. I can source mine local for free. So, for me at least, it makes much more financial sense. I don't have the ability to source a gasoline supplement/replacement. Not a viable one anyway.
That is not my only reason, but it is one of my top two. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Won’t be necessary...I doubt anyone on here will posting average 2.0 mpg within 10% of a 3.0, even before the 3.0 is broken in...or with mine running 35” studded nokians in the dead of Alaskan winter on a 2.5” lift for that matter. Guess we’ll know soon enough.
I think someone posted 26mpg in another thread for the 2.0. I would call bs on that but 23-24 would not shock me, and I doubt the diesel will be much better than that given that is all the previous gen could do in the truck before they got recalibrated and got worse. The 3.6 in the ram1500 truck is rated for better mileage than in the JL.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If you're buying the diesel and care about the mpg you're buying it for the wrong reason.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
This has more to do with the RPM limits and low speed operation of a diesel engine as compared to a gasoline engine than anything else. My 6.7L Powerstroke was only available with 3.55 gears, though it had 900 lb-ft of torque.

Gratz on the new ride.
Thanks! Can't wait to get it.

You're absolutely correct. I over-simplified. Sometimes I forget I'm talking to fellow gearheads on forums like this. Usually when I talk about this stuff, people's eyes roll back. "Here he goes again."

Diesels generally red-line about 2k-3k lower than their gas counterparts in the same vehicle. Keeping the gears high (numerically low) keeps the RPMs down and then engine happy. Plus, at higher RPMs, diesels are out of their element. HP and torque generally fall off above 1500-2000. Repeat: generally. I know it's not universal. No need to troll me. :)

That said, I think it's a combination of both keeping RPMs low and the huge difference in available torque. Plus, the EPA is watching diesels closer than ever. (Thanks, VW.) So they've gotta keep the emissions as low as possible. Fine by me... I want my kids to have a green planet too.

All the same, the 4.10s weren't even an upgrade option. I guess the reason I found it most interesting is because a 4.10 "option" wouldn't require any re-tooling by FCA; it's already the standard for gas Rubi's, and therefore an assembly they already manufacture. i.e., it's an "option" that's actually a "standard" that isn't even an option.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
You are 100% correct, the 3.6 in the JL vs the JK is night and day thanks to the 8 speed.....now imagine that transmission with 442ft/lbs of torque.
Exactly. I've even heard some people are complaining that the 8-speed is *too* low in first and in 4-Low. Balderdash!!

442 lb-ft of torque + 4:1 first gear + 4:1 low range. Sounds like a dream to me.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think someone posted 26mpg in another thread for the 2.0. I would call bs on that but 23-24 would not shock me, and I doubt the diesel will be much better than that given that is all the previous gen could do in the truck before they got recalibrated and got worse. The 3.6 in the ram1500 truck is rated for better mileage than in the JL.
The 1500 3.6 4x4 and JLU 2.0 do a whopping 1mpg combined better than the JLU 3.6 (21 vs 20 respectively). Gen3 3.0 1500 4x4 is EPA rated at 24 combined which would potentially translate to 23 combined for the JLU 3.0, though it looks like some 1500 3.0 media test rigs are beating the EPA rating by solid margins so we’ll see. Either way, once you’ve got a rig loaded with 37s, bumpers, winch, lift etc, the separation between diesel and gas options will expand significantly.
Sponsored