Sponsored

Has anyone had their wheels stolen off their jeep lately? I'm debating getting wheel locks.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I've had multiple people bring in locking lugs that stripped or lost the adapter over the years.

Not worth the trouble.
Sponsored

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Certain types of Spline lugs need a certain adapter to take them on and off, kinda like a wheel lock for every single lug, I like mine, just don't lose the adapter.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
if you have $2k in MTs on your vehicle and everything else on the street is a camry, im putting in the effort to get those MTs!
if live on a street where everyone has lifted Jeeps with $$ wheels/tires then yeah, ill go to your neighbor without the locks.

gorilla spline drive lug nuts are not locks. the key is universal. i have a handful of them in my garage and im not a wheel thief lol. using a battery operated impact gun its not going to take any longer to remove yours as a jeep with standard lugs. random thieves sure but if you have something someone really wants and they've had their eye on it then they'll likely do a test fit when theyre casing your jeep. then come back for the prize. this is of course if your jeep is parked for long periods of time in the same place often. if its just at the mall or a restaurant then way less likely, but still possible.

locks are better than spline drive for theft but even still, they only make so many different locking lug keys. guy at the tire shop showed me he has a drawer with a handful of locking lug keys in it for when a customer forgets theirs at home. some times the key will fit and they can continue with the repair. thats 100 times better than a spline drive though (for theft). especially if theyre the Mcgard type. those are way more difficult to bypass due to the smooth rounded exterior of the lock.
See that's just it... the whole discussion is contextually dependent. My Jeep is garaged at night and in a fenced/gated lot at work. I'm not fool enough to think that ANY security precaution can't be defeated, all I'm attempting to accomplish is deterring the casual thief. If someone really wants your stuff and has the skills they will get it. Will this slow down the stupid thief? Absolutely.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have them but the dealer threw them in for free. Otherwise I would not have bothered. Jeep is not a DD and sits in the garage at night.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I dropped the deductible on my Wrangler to $100 because I couldn't get glass coverage and I've already replaced a windshield.

So if my boring Sport S 5-spokes and Bridgestone Dueler tires get stolen, just means I get to upgrade to something decent for cheap :)
Ha! That's exactly what I was thinking!

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I got the set of 5 locked nuts for my new 35s. Like many others said, a thief will eventually figure it out but at least I won't make it easy for them. Unfortunately, mine stays outside parked at all times and overnight, but at least the neighborhood is not the worse of the worse.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

only problem with the gorilla locks is you can get away with using a standard 6 point. socket. ive done it a few times when i miss placed my gorilla "key" socket. haven't seen any real good locking nut for wheels. i just have the stock "Locking" nuts and call it good. I like the thought of if they get jacked then i get some new ones on insurance's dime. :)

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Color me cautious, I have the Gorilla system plus a separate set of Gorilla's. Each lug nut is a lock, but 4 lug nuts have one key and 1 has a separate key meaning that each wheel requires 2 keys to remove it. I chose the black ones to match my wheels. The OEM satin chrome lug nuts looked out of place on the OEM wheels and I did not like the hex design.

Sponsored

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
Most times if thieves want the wheels they take the Jeep!

Keagan

First Name
Stephani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon, 2014 Z51 Corvette Convertible, 2013 Smart Fortwo
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t had anyone steel my wheels but I did loose the catalytic converter to thieves on my JK Rubicon. Not much you can do there as it’s so easy to get to.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I just got the Gorilla 24 piece set of splined lugs. Small price to pay for peace of mind. Doing them all versus just one per wheel requires more time than most potential thieves would like to invest.
You can buy that anywhere Discount tire sells them it's just a little socket it's not really a lock but I did put the locks on my. Anything you can do to slow them down but if they want them they will get them I just have my insurance value my net 8000 high-value accessories so up to 8000 I get coverage. So if my wheels are stole they get replaced plus the tow to the tire place. People don't realize if they steal them you have to have your vehicles towed to a tire store

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
if you have $2k in MTs on your vehicle and everything else on the street is a camry, im putting in the effort to get those MTs!
if live on a street where everyone has lifted Jeeps with $$ wheels/tires then yeah, ill go to your neighbor without the locks.

gorilla spline drive lug nuts are not locks. the key is universal. i have a handful of them in my garage and im not a wheel thief lol. using a battery operated impact gun its not going to take any longer to remove yours as a jeep with standard lugs. random thieves sure but if you have something someone really wants and they've had their eye on it then they'll likely do a test fit when theyre casing your jeep. then come back for the prize. this is of course if your jeep is parked for long periods of time in the same place often. if its just at the mall or a restaurant then way less likely, but still possible.

locks are better than spline drive for theft but even still, they only make so many different locking lug keys. guy at the tire shop showed me he has a drawer with a handful of locking lug keys in it for when a customer forgets theirs at home. some times the key will fit and they can continue with the repair. thats 100 times better than a spline drive though (for theft). especially if theyre the Mcgard type. those are way more difficult to bypass due to the smooth rounded exterior of the lock.
Exactly the spine things do nothing locks are better Discount tire can get will's off everyday with locks my buddy had his stolen on his truck all they do is put a socket that smaller and take them off you better off just putting locks and insure it for 8 thousand more cost about $6 for 6 months on your insurance policy that's about all you can do
Sponsored