Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
I'm in the process of doing mine, I left the trim up just pulled it down to see if there's any wiring behind, snap it back up, use rubbing alcohol clean the area put the template on, lightly cut around where you need to, remove the template finish the cut then I took a file to make the cuts straight. I'm running my cable up the passenger side pillar and through the top where the visors are over to the g screen
20190730_145454.jpg
20190730_145446.jpg
Very helpful, thanks!
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Just a question. Besides the under the hood integration, what is the advantage of this over something like a GoalZero battery? My impression is that even the Li-Ion version of the 400w GoalZero is cheaper (and frankly there are units cheaper than GoalZero). Even the leadacid version of the 400w GZ can power a Dometic fridge overnight. Of course it is also more portable.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Just a question. Besides the under the hood integration, what is the advantage of this over something like a GoalZero battery? My impression is that even the Li-Ion version of the 400w GoalZero is cheaper (and frankly there are units cheaper than GoalZero). Even the leadacid version of the 400w GZ can power a Dometic fridge overnight. Of course it is also more portable.
No comparison. False equivalence. Both have different applications.

And the Goal Zero is 33 amp-hours which is nowhere near the 130 amp-hours you'll have with the dual battery setup. You might sort of be able to run a Fridge on that overpriced GoalZero, but you'll have to charge it the next day. The real advantage there is that Lithium has a better nominal discharge rate and can discharge all the way down to 20% capacity. Lead and AGM tend to lose voltage as they discharge.

But the vehicles charging system is doing the charging in the case with the Genesis system; vs solar on the goal zero. So if you run it out a night and don't have access to a power plug, you are SOL.

The real question is, do you want to just power a fridge on the weekend?

Or do you want to ensure you have enough power to run lights, a winch, a fridge and comms, and other things like a power inverter?

The Genesis system is an integrated solution that can handle all your power needs for all your accessories. The GoalZero isn't going to give you any help winching at night with all your lights on and your ham radio going and the fridge in the back.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Finally had time to put it in. I need to put in the monitor and 12v plug. One step at a time...

3171C11D-622C-48CE-A807-1636E74FF7AD.jpeg

D6785413-CB78-4952-9F33-F52DF6B54CA8.jpeg
I've built my own 400ah Lithium setup for my Airstream, and have a fairly good idea of the component cost in the @Genesis Offroad system.

IMG_8947.jpg

That being said, the @Genesis Offroad dual battery system is fairly, and I mean FAIRLY priced. It's actually a good value IMO. You're getting a quality tray and everything pre-packaged and ready to install.; it will save you time and hassle.

Although I'd prefer class K welding cable and copper lugs, those look like aluminum in their kits.

Could you do it yourself? Yes.

Would you save money? Marginal at best.

Would you save time? Nope, not even. Sit around crimping battery cables. Let me know how much time you saved.
:LOL:

2015-12-0649.jpg

I'm not an electrical expert. Just self-taught.

But, I'm going to purchase this kit shortly for myself. It will save me some time and hassle. And it's well worth the cost, IMO for the value you are getting.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My only concern with the Genesis dual battery system is how it deals with charging the second battery. The stock alternator charging profile is funky at best. Never really fully charging the battery during highway or offroad driving. I only really see any charging occur when stopped or coasting. I would think a DC/DC charger going from first to second battery would be better.

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
My only concern with the Genesis dual battery system is how it deals with charging the second battery. The stock alternator charging profile is funky at best. Never really fully charging the battery during highway or offroad driving. I only really see any charging occur when stopped or coasting. I would think a DC/DC charger going from first to second battery would be better.
I just asked this in another thread as well, but has anyone contacted Genesis about this and asked them if they are seeing issues with the dual batteries staying fully charged? The only reason I'm looking into this is for piece of mind to eliminate the potential failure of the OEM battery setup leaving me stranded. But if the batteries aren't getting charged properly, this seems like a potential issue.

Also, Odysseys like to be charged fast and furious, and I've heard other reports that the JL alternator may not be charging these things correctly. Even a single one, much less dual battery setups.

I'd love to hear from people who have been using the JL Genesis system to hear any real work experience.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I just asked this in another thread as well, but has anyone contacted Genesis about this and asked them if they are seeing issues with the dual batteries staying fully charged? The only reason I'm looking into this is for piece of mind to eliminate the potential failure of the OEM battery setup leaving me stranded. But if the batteries aren't getting charged properly, this seems like a potential issue.

Also, Odysseys like to be charged fast and furious, and I've heard other reports that the JL alternator may not be charging these things correctly. Even a single one, much less dual battery setups.

I'd love to hear from people who have been using the JL Genesis system to hear any real work experience.
I have been using it for quite some time now. I haven’t seen any issues so far. I wonder if having the tow package with the larger alternator helps?

I don’t keep my fridge running all the time because I don’t use my Jeep everyday. I do like having the G-screen to help monitor the batteries though.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

I had this same dilemma with running a arb fridge 24x7 and using the odyssey dual battery setup. The JL with the variable charging was inadequate for my use as it only charged above 13.x (whatever the genesis voltage is programmed for charging 2nd battery, cant remember but think it was around 13V actually) very rarely which lead the 2nd battery to not charging. I did some research on the IBS (Intelligent Battery System) and discovered by simply removing the connector plug on the IBS sensor(Sensor located on the ground wire, believe it is a hall effect sensor which measures voltage etc.) the vehicle charges the battery at constant 14.4V all the time. Win win!

No dash lights or issues within the last 4K miles since installed and now the fridge is running non stop!

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I had this same dilemma with running a arb fridge 24x7 and using the odyssey dual battery setup. The JL with the variable charging was inadequate for my use as it only charged above 13.x (whatever the genesis voltage is programmed for charging 2nd battery, cant remember but think it was around 13V actually) very rarely which lead the 2nd battery to not charging. I did some research on the IBS (Intelligent Battery System) and discovered by simply removing the connector plug on the IBS sensor(Sensor located on the ground wire, believe it is a hall effect sensor which measures voltage etc.) the vehicle charges the battery at constant 14.4V all the time. Win win!

No dash lights or issues within the last 4K miles since installed and now the fridge is running non stop!
Did you remove said connector plug with the Genesis still installed, and if so, is this something the stock JL’s can do? Pic of the location would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did you remove said connector plug with the Genesis still installed, and if so, is this something the stock JL’s can do? Pic of the location would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Yes with the Genesis installed however don't see why it wouldn't work without it as well. I'll take a pic tonight, Jeep's at home.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
For this kit, do you have to use the Odyssey Batts? Or can you use any Group 25 AMG batts? 300.00 x 2 for just batts is a lot of $$. I dont mind the 500 or so for the kit but add 600.00 worth of batts is something I dont want to spend.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
For this kit, do you have to use the Odyssey Batts? Or can you use any Group 25 AMG batts? 300.00 x 2 for just batts is a lot of $$. I dont mind the 500 or so for the kit but add 600.00 worth of batts is something I dont want to spend.
On their website says can use any group 25 AMG batteries, yes the odyssey batts are expensive but its a buy once cry once type of thing :)

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
On their website says can use any group 25 AMG batteries, yes the odyssey batts are expensive but its a buy once cry once type of thing :)
I've been crying a lot with this damn jeep LOL. Steer Smarts, Roof Racks, Fridge, lift, blah blah LOL>.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've been crying a lot with this damn jeep LOL. Steer Smarts, Roof Racks, Fridge, lift, blah blah LOL>.

hahaha JustEmptyEveryPocket

Honestly I am not too bad yet, with the FJ I was at 15K easily and that was doing my own work. Supercharger, gears/lockers, suspension, welding, etc.