Sponsored

DIY freedom panel insulation

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got a great deal on some large rolls of 1/2" closed cell foam and a roll of black 1/2" Volara so hopefully I'll have my whole hardtop insulated soon.
The factory and aftermarket liners are only a 1/2" thick (from what I've seen). I stacked 3 sections along w/ 3 foam strips for a max thickness of 2" and primary thickness of 1 1/2". I used 3M 77 Spray adhesive, this works well for closed cell foam. I used 3M VHB (Very High Bond) double sided tape to adhere the completed panels onto the Jeep Hardtop.

It takes a bit of trial and error to get the template just right since there are outward slants in the hardtop panels, luckily I had plenty of foam to allow for some misfits :) I've built quite a few poker tables and have found that electric turkey knives work best for cutting foam straight and easy.

Using 3M 77 you spray both pieces of foam where you want them bonded, you wait about 45sec to a minute for the pieces to get tacky, then you press them together w/ firm pressure for about a minute, come back every few minutes and reapply pressure to get a firm bond.

Once you get the panels bonded together you then apply strips of the VHB tape on the raised middle sections of the freedom panels applying firm pressure along the tape as you roll it onto the top. You then remove the red tape protector and apply the foam panel, you then apply firm pressure for a few minutes in the taped areas. Tape bond will be fully cured in 48 hours so it's best to leave the panels upside down in your house for a couple days so you'll get the best adhesion.

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you obtain the foam?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Where did you obtain the foam?
Galaxy Foam in Las Vegas, NV is where I got the black Valero, I got the grey closed cell foam at a garage sale, kid was wanting to make a sound proof room but moved out so I got about $300 worth of foam for $10 :)

RedRockRubicon

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redrockrubicon.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR named Lucy, 2018 Bright White JLUR named Dru, 2020 Hella Yella JLUR named Stuart, 2000 TJ Bright Silver Metallic name Gru. 2020 Gladiator name Kassandra
Occupation
Jeep Tours/rentals
Pretty cool, notice any difference?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice difference in wind noise and stereo sounds cleaner, can't wait to do the rest :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Only had a little use prior to yesterday, went on 500 mile trip to OKC and very noticeable difference in reduced wind noise and better sound from the stereo, even heard what my wife had to say :)

Hopefully have the rest insulated next month.

First Name
Priscilla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Only had a little use prior to yesterday, went on 500 mile trip to OKC and very noticeable difference in reduced wind noise and better sound from the stereo, even heard what my wife had to say :)

Hopefully have the rest insulated next month.
My friend made these for my freedom panels and I agree, very noticeable difference in wind noise and better stereo sound. I'm so happy he made them for me and happy you posted this. Thank you.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
You can get a sheet of foam insulation board with foil backing at lowes for like $10 too if you can't find the foam stuff. Thats what i used and works AWESOME
Sponsored