Sponsored

Start of 3.0 Production

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Jonathon Ramsey states 11/25 in his autoblog article without a source. No one else in the motoring press seems to report that date so either Jon has inside knowledge or it’s false. I’m not sure if it’s unprecedented to open order banks for a new engine option 7 weeks before it goes into production, but it certainly seems unusual.

As it stands now, my order from 10/7 is at C-status (tentative schedule) without a VIN. Most non-3.0 orders have a VIN and D-status in that timeframe so they certainly aren’t tossing 3.0s into the mainstream schedule. Not surprising considering they don’t have EPA/CARB certs for the JLU yet. Anyone else hear anything of use re 3.0 production?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No EPA/Carb certs yet? Interesting...
Yea they certified the 1500 because that application was submitted first, but the JLU is still pending. Won’t have an issue given it’s a downtuned version of the same gen3 and same transmission, but still a ridiculous turnaround time.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Has it been confirmed which rear end ratio we get on the Rubicon diesel? I ordered one this morning. The dealer order site (I thought) said 4.10. But when searching the web I see conflicting information.

One of the dealers I met with this past weekend emailed me the 8HP75 transmission ratios. It shows a 0.64 ratio for 8th gear. Using the published 635rev/mile for the stock size K02, that calculates to:

1666rpm @ 60mph for 4.10
And
1516 rpm @ 60 for 3.73 (corrected math error 10/23..sorry!)

My 14 eco ram spins about 1500rpm at that speed and holds 8th gear pretty well. The JL will weigh less and the gen3 (hopefully) will make more torque than the gen2 at those rpm. So would think either axle ratio will work OK. But given a choice would take the 4.10.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has it been confirmed which rear end ratio we get on the Rubicon diesel? I ordered one this morning. The dealer order site (I thought) said 4.10. But when searching the web I see conflicting information.

One of the dealers I met with this past weekend emailed me the 8HP75 transmission ratios. It shows a 0.64 ratio for 8th gear. Using the published 635rev/mile for the stock size K02, that calculates to:

1666rpm @ 60mph for 4.10
And
1552 rpm @ 60 for 3.73

My 14 eco ram spins about 1500rpm at that speed and holds 8th gear pretty well. The JL will weigh less and the gen3 (hopefully) will make more torque than the gen2 at those rpm. So would think either axle ratio will work OK. But given a choice would take the 4.10.
I haven’t seen anything definitive refuting the stated 3.73 from the Texas state fair release. I was disappointed at first, but then I did the math and realized the low end wheel torque is still massively up on my 3.6 JLUR which does fine on almost all surfaces. The more I thought about it, the more I actually prefer the slight range bump with 3.73 for overland purposes when the wheel torque is still better than every other drivetrain.

Sponsored

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Jonathon Ramsey states 11/25 in his autoblog article without a source. No one else in the motoring press seems to report that date so either Jon has inside knowledge or it’s false. I’m not sure if it’s unprecedented to open order banks for a new engine option 7 weeks before it goes into production, but it certainly seems unusual.

As it stands now, my order from 10/7 is at C-status (tentative schedule) without a VIN. Most non-3.0 orders have a VIN and D-status in that timeframe so they certainly aren’t tossing 3.0s into the mainstream schedule. Not surprising considering they don’t have EPA/CARB certs for the JLU yet. Anyone else hear anything of use re 3.0 production?

I placed my order today and they had no dates but told me mid to end November for production. I am just figuring I'll get my Jeep in January.

How long do you have to wait before you can start tracking its status? Where are you checking that at?

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I placed my order today and they had no dates but told me mid to end November for production. I am just figuring I'll get my Jeep in January.

How long do you have to wait before you can start tracking its status? Where are you checking that at?
Call (877) 426-5337‬ and ask them for the build status of your VON. Alternatively you can do the same on the Jeep chat service at https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/s/knowledge
As of midnight CST 10/15, mine has no VIN and remains in C-status. There is one person on the ram1500diesel forum who has a 1500 3.0 order in D status so it certainly looks like we’re all on hold until the EPA/CARB do their job. If their final bill of approval takes 7 weeks after the 1500 was certified, the standard for government inefficiency (vs willful railroading of FCA) will have been redefined.

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
I was told by 3 separate CO dealers that they won’t be getting any inventoried - they have to be ordered. I find this disappointing given that means getting a test drive in will be a challenge. Wonder if this is true across the board or just at these 3.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told by 3 separate CO dealers that they won’t be getting any inventoried - they have to be ordered. I find this disappointing given that means getting a test drive in will be a challenge. Wonder if this is true across the board or just at these 3.
Only available for sold orders until Q1 2020. That’s the entire country.

SheddMan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is there a public website that will list the status of the EPA / CARB testing or do we just have to wait for FCA to make a public announcement? I've submitted my Diesel order earlier this week, but it would make sense that getting this powerplant officially approved will be delaying our orders. I'm hopeful that production will start earlier than the rumored 11/25 date.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a public website that will list the status of the EPA / CARB testing or do we just have to wait for FCA to make a public announcement? I've submitted my Diesel order earlier this week, but it would make sense that getting this powerplant officially approved will be delaying our orders. I'm hopeful that production will start earlier than the rumored 11/25 date.
No such website exists that I’m aware of...we wake up one day and the 4th branch overlords wave their magic wand.

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update for those who have ordered. We appear to be at D status with VINs assigned. Anyone know if the VINs are sequential? Can’t imagine they’d assign VINs to vehicles which won’t go down the line for another 6 weeks.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
My dealer told me they won't let the dealers order any...only customer orders.

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
I can confirm that I have a VIN, last three are 862. Rep said awaiting on scheduling and parts assignment.