Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR, ‘06 LX 100-series
I am to the point where I may just pull the trigger on the PSC steering components.
https://www.pscmotorsports.com/18-19-jeep-jl-big-bore-xd-overlander-steering-kit.html

Here is my question to someone who really knows mechanics. The reviews, youtube, talking to PSC all claim this will fix the issue 100%.

Thanks.
A guy in my building has a JK on 40s/tons with PSC steering. He asked about my JLUR and I brought up the steering. He said his Jeep drives better than stock once he put on the PSC.

I don’t doubt that the PSC kit will fix the JL problems. $3k+ is a tough pill to swallow. If you go big and need the kit, that’s one thing, but having to spend that kind of money to correct something that shouldn’t be an issue is a whole ‘nother issue.

With that said, if you are happy with the Jeep otherwise and have the cash, you might as well do it. For $3k you get to post in all the other cool sections on this site instead of hanging with the dissatisfied people in this Wander thread.
Sponsored

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
On to a new dealership on Monday for the same "old" steering issue, this now being the 4th time for this issue. It will interesting to see if they figure anything out this time. JeepCares is involved and has my history. With the newest AE steering box, track bar and damper I'm not sure what they will do. If anything positive happens (and I'm not expecting it to) I'll post results.

NCPolock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Software
I'm out. 4th visit and they did at least get the alignment right but after stabilizer and trackbar I have ~2.5 inches of play. Dealership pretty much said they are being given zero guidance from the mothership so nothing they can do. I'm afraid that if I continue to take it in they'll make it worse plus I can't continue to invest the time. I did get the "is this your first jeep" speech today....they didn't really have a response when I asked why all JLUs don't have the same deadspot if it's a "jeep thing". Can't decide if I want to wait and see what happens with NHTSA/FCA or hit a local shop instead. I'll continue to lurk in the meantime ;)

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I'm out. 4th visit and they did at least get the alignment right but after stabilizer and trackbar I have ~2.5 inches of play. Dealership pretty much said they are being given zero guidance from the mothership so nothing they can do. I'm afraid that if I continue to take it in they'll make it worse plus I can't continue to invest the time. I did get the "is this your first jeep" speech today....they didn't really have a response when I asked why all JLUs don't have the same deadspot if it's a "jeep thing". Can't decide if I want to wait and see what happens with NHTSA/FCA or hit a local shop instead. I'll continue to lurk in the meantime ;)
I'm having radio issues so now I HAVE to take it to the dealer. When we get to the steering issue I'm going to test drive all their Jeeps. If i get the "Jeep thing" speech i might knock someone out.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I had a couple conversations with my FCA rep today. At one point he said that Jeeps drive differently than other trucks and SUVs like Mercedes and steers differently because it’s meant to go off-road. It sounded like he was reading a statement, but I almost lost it. We drove our JK to Utah and Colorado a couple times. We know what a Jeep *should* drive like.

He also said something very interesting. “You qualify for the California lemon law.”

Yes I do, as a matter of fact.

He’s working on getting a regional tech to see it. My dealer’s service manager said that the tech is spread thin and he doesn’t know when/if the tech would be available.

So frustrated.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Theres a new track bar from Mopar P/N 68394087 and a STAR S1819000003 which has stiffer bushings.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yep, been discussed here since March. I have it on my 18, it did improve the issue for me but didn't fix it.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...o-help-cure-steering-issues-68394087aa.25299/
Thanks Marc, My Jeep is a late 2018 production, which I bought in Dec 2018. I've read as much as I can here on this topic. I broke down a few days back and ordered the full SmartSteer steering parts: Track bar, track bar frame brace, tierod, draglink, Falcon steering damper. The tierod, track bar brace, and steering damper are here. But the Yeti track bar is the first part I want to put on and drive.

My Jeep ... how to say it ... slams around, changes direction, based on the road bumps, irregularity. If the road surface drops on the right side, it is normal in any vehicle to steer slightly to the right due to the caster and weight of the vehicle acting on it. But my jeep dives to the right hard and requires a big steering input to the left, then a correction to the right for over input. I feel a lot of that is the panhard bar letting the axle assembly move from laterally. When the axle moves laterally, the steering angle is affected by the frame mounted steering box thru the pitman arm-draglink assembly. I don't believe it's a steering box issue as I cannot detect any significant play when checking small steering wheel movement to output of the steering box, when checking while parked. It's gotta be downstream from the steering box on mine. When driving on flat highways at highway speeds (50-70 mph) I can detect a significant lag in the steering input. It may be a combination of the tire sidewall flex (a.k.a. "steering response") and the panhard (track) bar letting the axle move laterally a bit, but it is just enough lag to get into a driver induced oscillation (DIO), to paraphrase from the airplane "pilot induced oscillation" (PIO).

If anyone still suspects the steering box, disconnecting the draglink and having someone hold the steering wheel while moving the pitman arm (with a long wrench/lever) should reveal any play in the column-steering box.

Last edited:

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Let us know how it all pans out.
Many here have tried these parts individually and as groups of parts and nothing
has been 100% effective. Would love to know of a solution since I have up trying to
fix it thru jeep service departments

Sponsored

jack buening

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB
I'm no engineer or auto mechanic, but I feel that the problem is that the electric pump doesn't respond quickly to a movement to the steering wheel (within a nano second) and then it reacts after the driver increases effort. By that time, the action is too much and then the driver has to correct to the opposite direction which becomes a constant corrective procedure. I may be far off base in my thoughts, but, my 2019 JL isn't a fun drive on the interstate and my dealer doesn't care, and says it is typical of a Wrangler with electric power steering and similar tires.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Just documenting my experience. I have a stock 2019 JLU without any lift and over 5k miles. It has some dead space and would wander a little at speeds over 45mph but nothing causing a major concern. I commute at 75mph and could steer with one hand on top though it didn't feel as tight as my cars/SUVs (front-wheel drive station wagon really) which I expected. Strong winds at highway speed would have me correcting course but nothing I considered dangerous.

I did the v41 damper recall by ordering the part online, installing correctly myself and having FCA reimburse me. At the same time I installed a JKS adjustable track bar which was on sale. Steering feels tighter and my dead space is minimal though not as minimal as my car/SUV. Driving at 75mph with crosswinds of 20-25mph I can steer with just my left wrist sitting on top the steering wheel. The v41 is regarding conditions under 40 degrees which I haven't seen yet so I assume the improvement was the track bar being beefier but also noticing the bolt diameter tolerance being better with the JKS.

At this point I have no complaints with the steering. That may change with more miles or assuming the steering box may develop issues based on other posts.
I'm considering doing to V41 myself as I don't like dealers wrenching on my vehicle if I can help it. Did you have any issues being reimbursed? I might order online, or just ask the dealer to sell me the part.

MTN1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl Sport S
I bought my wife a new Rubicon JL and I drove it the other day and it seems to have some play in the steering and feels like I am constantly trying to correct the direction we are traveling. I thought it was out of alignment but I went and drove another one and it felt the same way. Is anyone else feel this issue and is it just the way it is or is it just a jeep thing? We just sold our 2013 JKU and it was like that too but I expected improved steering on the new JL model. I would like to hear other peoples thoughts about this steering play or drifting feeling. O by the way, She loves her new ride!

IMG_9731.jpg
Were you able to correct the wandering? I purchased mine in April of 2019 and it wanders left to right.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I don’t think anyone to date has corrected the deficiencies in the problem JL’s
It’s not every one of these so that makes it pretty hard to solve. There are numerous band aids and parts that have been suggested and like people trying to help a ill friend we grasp at any possible cure.

I don’t think jeep has a clue on the problem and dealers are frustrated, customers are pissed and other posters here are just tired of hearing us whine. I apologize to other posters here about this ongoing wandering rant from the group of us with the problem but please understand we’re reaching out to each other for suggestions and help since we’re all each other has. If you could experience what we go thru daily you might better understand. I have driven other JL’s recently and most drive very reasonable with minor steering issues....certainly far better than what we live with. So please don’t think while you’re driving your jeep with its little steering issue that this is what we are complaining about. It’s a totally different battle we face every time we hit the start button.
Like the other great posters here we love our jeeps ....just not the steering issue. To date our only options are band aids, bugging the dealers, jeepcares, FCA tech. services, lawyers or hoping the National highway safety people force a repair. I sure don’t want to spend another 6-10K trying a aftermarket steering system or buying front end parts that will void my warranty and provide an easy way out to FCA to walk from this issue.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks but after spending 46,000 on the jeep I shouldn't have to spend that to correct their problem.
I agree 100%.

I decided spending my time and living throught the frustration in seeking a dealer solution would not be what I want to do nor do I believe it would be successful.

I don't want to live with the steering as it is, so I could either dump the vehicle for a loss or try to fix it myself. I think I can fix it, given enough time and money. In the end, I WANT the vehicle for what I bought it for: my hunting in my retirement years. The money I just spent for the parts isn't an issue for me whether it fixes it or not. I do hope that it fixes it and I can put this behind me. If not, I have another decision to make. But, when I decided to order parts for the steering, I made the decision that factory warranty for the steering issues was not worth banking on. Maybe others still have faith FCA will pull thru for them. After reading all the attemps by others with dealers, I lost that faith along the way.
Sponsored