Sponsored

3.0D Jeep Diesel now available for ordering! Priced at $6k.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
DEF/DPF/SCR do not make for longevity or problem-free motoring. When combined with the cost of fuel and the higher cost of maintenance of a modern diesel engine, it is a non-starter for me. Many people "delete" their diesels (speaking of other brands) and while that may "fix" some things in the short term, the pollution that it allows is not good and I have read there will not be a way to delete the Jeep diesel and install a tuner.

For me, it would be a hard pass...
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
DEF/DPF/SCR do not make for longevity or problem-free motoring. When combined with the cost of fuel and the higher cost of maintenance of a modern diesel engine, it is a non-starter for me. Many people "delete" their diesels (speaking of other brands) and while that may "fix" some things in the short term, the pollution that it allows is not good and I have read there will not be a way to delete the Jeep diesel and install a tuner.

For me, it would be a hard pass...
Cost of ownership may well be more for some, but certainly not all. Where I live, diesel is typically cheaper than 87 and when combined with the mpg bump will wind up paying for the up-front cost as well as typical maintenance. Now if the DPF fails out of warranty, all bets are off.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Cost of ownership may well be more for some, but certainly not all. Where I live, diesel is typically cheaper than 87 and when combined with the mpg bump will wind up paying for the up-front cost as well as typical maintenance. Now if the DPF fails out of warranty, all bets are off.
Only if you keep it for many years--I could never make it work out on my Ford Powerstroke because the cost of the maintenance and fuel far exceeded that of a gasoline counterpart. For some persons, it may work out just fine, but I would definitely put a pen to paper with an open mind to be sure the numbers add up.

The first time there is an issue with the emissions system offroad, one will seriously question why they bought a modern diesel.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I bet they don't offer one... I tried to get one on my 3500ncummins and nope was the answer.. I got a life time on my 3.6..

Time will tell..

I hope they do..

But im keeping my expectations in check..
FCA offers extended warranties on diesel.

It was only the lifetime plan you’re referencing that wasn’t available for diesel.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I'm sure there are some great reasons for getting a diesel. But mpg's aren't one of them. I just did a little math: say you drive 15K a year, my 3.6 V-6 gets 20 mpg, and lets say the 3.0 diesel gets 30 mpg. Today's price at the pump where I go has regular at $2.35 and diesel at $3.00. So, if my math is right, you'll save $262 per year. And in 15 years, it'll offset that $4,000.00 you paid extra for.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure there are some great reasons for getting a diesel. But mpg's aren't one of them. I just did a little math: say you drive 15K a year, my 3.6 V-6 gets 20 mpg, and lets say the 3.0 diesel gets 30 mpg. Today's price at the pump where I go has regular at $2.35 and diesel at $3.00. So, if my math is right, you'll save $262 per year. And in 15 years, it'll offset that $4,000.00 you paid extra for.
For those of us who run wranglers for overland trips, mpg can serve a more important purpose than saving money.

Frankencar

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want JLURD. Have JKUR, 10 VW's and Dad's Willys Pickup.
As gas & diesel get more expensive this timeline shrinks, and we know prices will climb - they always do.
Here in Northern California today Diesel is $3.99, Regular $4.20, Midgrade $4.30, and Premium $4.40, so the return would be MUCH quicker. - with the numbers you used and local fuel prices here it'd be $1,155 savings in fuel annually recovering the $4,000 premium in under 3.5 years.

The additional low RPM torque/power will be VERY nice when pushing 37's up a mountain highway at 70+mph and the thing doesn't need to shift down 2-3 gears and scream at high RPM to get the job done, and let's be honest, even the most built JL trail rigs will see 90+% highway and anyone with steep roads will appreciate this.

Diesels idle with an air fuel ratio that can easily reach 100:1 while a gasser will be 15:1 tops. This makes low load & idle in a diesel FAR more efficient than a gasser - like fill up in Georgetown, CA and hit the Rubicon Trail with one diesel and one gas JL and see the diesel get to Tahoe with the needle still pegged on full and the gasser at half a tank. This is where the efficiency advantage gets HUGE.

There are many other advantages to the diesel power plant already discussed, but they aren't for everyone. If you live somewhere flat with $2 gas and $3 diesel and only the offroad driving you do is to show off in the mud at high RPM then it definitely isn't a smart buy for you, or if you will sell it off in a year (depending on resale value which is yet to be seen).

For someone with expensive fuel, lots of mountains to traverse, or who wants to spend a bunch of time rock crawling, the Diesel will likely pay off both economically and in comfort/pleasure. In the end it really is just nice to have options and not just one flavor for everyone - most do like Vanilla, but some would prefer something else.

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon - Bikini Pearl
Where I live in Vancouver Canada 87 octane was selling this morning at 1.61 / Litre or or $6.28 / US Gallon where as diesel was at 1.34 / Litre or $5.27 / US Gallon. So here even if the Diesel has the same MPG the fuel cost saving are significant.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
you guys are funny...more torque, more torque... a little v6, with 4to1, 4:11 can spin 37's or 40 on solid granite at an idle or just off idle all day long... With a little math, the Rubicon with any engine is > 30K lbs of torque to the tire(s)...

The 3.0 will not add any value on the rocks other than more weight.. now getting to the trail head at altitude with better MPG and range, im all in..

I look forward to a test drive.. but I bet our $ are better spent on.. a version of https://www.edelbrock.com/e-force-supercharger-for-2015-17-jeep-wrangler-jk-3-6l-1528.html for real world trails and instant response with out the weight.. I have owned many turboed engines... spool up is always an issue on the trails (hard trails, not dirt roads).

Just my thoughts..

Looking forward to being proven wrong.

TC
I would agree no one seems to be hurting for power on the trail. These Jeeps are already more powerful than those before them.

The gas mileage is tempting but when you consider you’re unlikely to make up the price premium over the life of the car it goes away quick. This is dependent on where you live as mentioned above but it also gambles prices won’t continue to rise which they will. Colder areas where diesel is heating fuel will see higher costs. Add to that that the emissions systems over time are horrifically expensive, complicated, and unreliable with higher maintenance costs then the benefit becomes every poorer. I see a lot of folks here talking about deleting the emission equipment which is 1. Illegal. 2. Exposing you and your family time cancer clouds. And 3. A big F#^* you to the beautiful environment you’re enjoying wheeling on.

So better function. Prob not.
Fuel savings. Nope.
Lower maintenance. Hard no.
Higher towing. Sounds like a no.
Better for the environment. Prob not once people delete the emissions components.

Wish they put this time into the plug in.
Better Function. Maybe in the stop and go traffic as etorque is great for that.
Fuel Savings. If the tax credit offsets the price. Yes.
Lower maintenance. Maybe. If regen braking saves the pads/rotors.
Towing. No.
Better for the environment. Yes.

Sponsored

CUOFFRD

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Are current gasoline Jeeps underpowered at low engine speed? I assume this means off-roading or rock crawling.
Not when you use low range. Maybe if you’re trying to run oversized tires on the wrong gear ratio.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see a lot of folks here talking about deleting the emission equipment which is 1. Illegal. 2. Exposing you and your family time cancer clouds. And 3. A big F#^* you to the beautiful environment you’re enjoying wheeling on.

So better function. Prob not.
Fuel savings. Nope.
Lower maintenance. Hard no.
Higher towing. Sounds like a no.
Better for the environment. Prob not once people delete the emissions components.
Interesting how you can ID that whether or not an individual realizes fuel savings is dependent on their location, then boil it down to a binary “nope”. Also interesting how little nuance you’re willing to entertain regarding the environment, based on the narrative of groups like the EPA and CARB who will gladly trade increased CO2 emissions for decreased particulate and NOx emissions. Turns out diesels account for lifetime CO2 emissions on par with electric vehicles running on the average US power sources...particularly when efficiency is maximized with DPF/EGR deletes. But hey, the environment is only about NOx and particulate right?

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
My next big question is how much is the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) going to cost and how frequently does it have to be replaced.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
FCA offers extended warranties on diesel.

It was only the lifetime plan you’re referencing that wasn’t available for diesel.
Exactly… So if your a professional engineer in this field (reliability engineer) and working for FCA, and you (the chief engineer of FCA Jeep) don't recommend a lifetime warranty.. what does that say to you..

It should mean, they (FCA Jeep chief engineer) have not made the business case that this specific motor will NOT meet the test of time and related value.

Thus steer clear...

BTW: 3.6 is cleared for lifetime warrenty.. ( at least it was as of recent, it changes weekly)...

hope that helps...

TC
Sponsored